Hopblog thoughts on "Hash-gate"

B)-->

QUOTE(Kyle B @ Aug 15 2007, 08:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I also know about a ton of corps that marched using symmetrical drill. Not to many people fell there.

Maybe we should go back to that.

I didn't see any corps that marched symmetrical drill at DCA prelims last year, and you're right, not many people fell.

Drills for most corps are easier in DCA due to practice time constraints, but drills are not symmmetrical. I've marched lots of symmetrical drills in my drum corps career and much prefer performing today's modern drills.

I guess I don't see your point. My point is that there are differing opinions on what constitutes a safety issue, as illustrated by the 2 extremes in my original post. My personal opinion of what constitutes a safety issue was never stated. It would only be bashed unmercifully by a bunch of people that don't share my opinion. A discussion of what constitutes a safety issue in modern drum corps might be an interesting topic though.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see dca corps marching a show anything close to that of the cadets or cavaliers are performing.

No kidding. DCI corps rehearse every day of the week during the summer.... DCA corps rehearse once or twice a week. You do the math.

I have my own opinions on visual demand for DCA corps vs. DCI corps, but like Jami basically said.... it's a debate for a different thread.

Fran

No kidding. DCI corps rehearse every day of the week during the summer.... DCA corps rehearse once or twice a week. You do the math.

I have my own opinions on visual demand for DCA corps vs. DCI corps, but like Jami basically said.... it's a debate for a different thread.

Fran

I agree, but it should also be stated that if this is the case, then some of you should not come in here touting how DCA works. Otherwise, its game for discussion.

My Blue Devils benefitted from george's hash marks!

If there is anyone from the Blue Devils out there, maybe they can answer this:

How did the Devils deal with the delay at Quarterfinals?

Obviously, they handled it pretty well, since they won the show that night.... but I guess my question is, how did the Blue Devils' staff and corps members address the issue? Was it simply "Hey, we have to wait an extra 15 minutes or so, so chill out a bit" or did the corps re-warm up or something like that?

Fran

I agree, but it should also be stated that if this is the case, then some of you should not come in here touting how DCA works. Otherwise, its game for discussion.

Good. Come to Baltimore sometime, we'll go out and have a beer and I'll tell you all the things you don't want to know about DCA. :P

In the meantime.... back to our regularly-scheduled thread about the HopBlog.

Fran

Perhaps there's less commentary in this thread because there is less to comment on? I did not get a chance to read any of the other threads about what happened because I was travelling, but I can only imagine they ballooned due to everyone weighing in on what they perceived his intentions to be. When he himself reveals his intentions, there will naturally be less to talk about. I wouldn't read anything into the smaller number of responses to this thread.

Exactly. Why are their responses on here critical of fans who essentially did not criticize this Director's response to the incident ? It's unfortnate when someone gives a reasoned explanation, gets hardly ANY negative feedback, and yet some of the Cadets Cadre Honkers immediately come on this thread and go into a criticism of fans when 99% of the posters of DCP said absolutely nothing critical of the Director's Blog comments. There are appropriate times for the Cadets honkers to get out their semi automatics to prepare to blast away on all those who are critical of the Cadets current Director. This does appear to me to be one of those moments to lock and load.

Edited by X DM

I'm not weighing in on George or his contention that not having hash marks was a safety issue. I do know that 23 DCA corps marched DCA prelims last year with no hash marks, only one line on the field (the 50), in the middle of hurricane Ernesto's storm surge, and it wasn't considered a safety issue.

Talk about differing perceptions of what is a safety issue...

Did you really just compare a DCA show to a modern Cadets show? Please hold, while I finish laughing.

I take you've never seen a DCA corps. They may not have the 200+ sets or march at 200+bpm or change massive amount of their shows on the whim of a judge , but I've seen, and talked, with friends from other DCA corps. They can anywhere from 100 to 150 sets, they make changes in drill given the time frame they work with. DCA is not for wimps thinking that they can just walk in a learn a show in a few hours. DCA corps work with guiding off each for their show with a few key point sets needed to set the drill, thus the need for hash marks are not AS NECESSARY.

Can you tell me which DCA show I can watch that is as clean as the Cadets? I would like to see this. And if you were wondering, marching from set 140 to 141 for 8 counts at 132 and 10 to 5 is not quite as hard as marching from set 9 to 10 for 8 counts at 184 and 6 to 5.

If there is anyone from the Blue Devils out there, maybe they can answer this:

How did the Devils deal with the delay at Quarterfinals?

Obviously, they handled it pretty well, since they won the show that night.... but I guess my question is, how did the Blue Devils' staff and corps members address the issue? Was it simply "Hey, we have to wait an extra 15 minutes or so, so chill out a bit" or did the corps re-warm up or something like that?

Fran

I heard Gibbs was furious. True or not, I don't know, but that's what I heard.

Can you tell me which DCA show I can watch that is as clean as the Cadets? I would like to see this. And if you were wondering, marching from set 140 to 141 for 8 counts at 132 and 10 to 5 is not quite as hard as marching from set 9 to 10 for 8 counts at 184 and 6 to 5.

First off, DCA and DCI corps are totally different, absolutely. But to say that it's that easy is a load! I'll show you my video of us playing Rocky Point moving our butt's off at around 190 and taking decent size steps. I know the Bucs are hauling just as well.

I'm sick of this DCA is just old people mentality, hell I used to have it. I marched 2 years of Crossmen and every run through I was tired. I've marched Bush for 2 years, and even thought I've put on a little weight, I'm tired at the end of every run-through. Heck, I think I'm a much better marcher then I was back then since I push myself even further. This isn't Alumni corps (not to say anything bad about them, but most All Age corps have members around the same age as DCI and older) where you park and bark a lot, we move.

March a top DCA show, then tell me it's easy.