Most overrated and underrated shows of 2007

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overrated: BD

Underrated: Boston, Madison, PR

Overrated - Cadets by a ridiculously long shot. Yes they were technically impressive, but show design was abysmal. I cringed for the kids for 11 1/2 straight minutes. Theme was schlocky. Narration was badly written and badly performed. Content was preachy and trite. I still can't believe their staff had the huevos to put that tripe on the field.

Underrated - Santa Clara. That show was understated, classy, simple yet sophisticated, artistically clean, and the ballad was stunningly beautiful. You have to be able to appreciate subtlety to love this show, but for those of us who can it is quite a treasure.

Edited by LoveKathyG

I tell you what, folks - I'm SO glad the "quarterfinals at the theater" thing exists!

I had the chance to see several shows this year, but I missed some others as well. I heard all kinds of talk about some and not a lot of talk about others. I really had no way of determining what was overrated and underrated because I didn't see all the shows. Then I went to the theater for quarterfinals....

I know my impression is distorted because all I saw was what the cameras decided to show me during the presentation. Having said that, I'm of the belief that ALL the shows were underrated. One can pick this or that point apart, and we all will have our own biases. The bottom line (at least for me) is this - I don't think in all my years of being a drum corps fan have I ever enjoyed every single performance as I did in '07. Overrated or underrated, whatever - 2007 will be a banner year for me.

Underrated: Madison, Crossmen, Bluecoats

Overated: Cavaliers, Phantom (I liked their show, but felt that Bluecoats, Crown and SCV were better)

"Overrated - Cadets by a ridiculously long shot. Yes they were technically impressive, but show design was abysmal. I cringed for the kids for 11 1/2 straight minutes. Theme was schlocky. Narration was badly written and badly performed. Content was preachy and trite. I still can't believe their staff had the huevos to put that tripe on the field."

Why would you cringe for the kids that loved to perform the show? Every Cadet that I have spoken to absolutely loved to perform their show. And also, if the show design was so "abysmal" how is it they tied BD in effect?

For me: Over: Cavaliers

Under: SCV

Edited by Drumcorpsfan471

Overated-BK. I havent been able to get into either of their past two shows

Ordinarily I would agree with you completely (I'm no BK fan - I respect them, but it's just not my scene). However, this year was an exception. In fact, this was probably my favorite BK show ever.