Time for Rifles to Go?

Should rifles stay or go?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like rifles to stay in the activity?

• yes
    • no

Dan,

this is me jumping in late, because I wanted to think this response out well.

We live in a world where everytime I see a video game commercial, the new game is even more violent than the last.

movies with death and violence are promoted at all hours of the day and night.

same with tv

same with books

in the advent of the situation in CT, I have seen a large gun show cancelled because asualt weapoins were not going to be allowed.

Then I saw a new gun show anounced that people could not wait to sign up and attend and exhibit.

Oh, just saw a commercial for violent movie. guns blazing!

So, in our tiny niche activity, I really doubt a piece of wood, usually taped white, that almost sort of resembles the hunting rifle Elmer Fudd uses is going to turn people away from the activity in masses or terrify new ones from ever coming.

It is not so much a world, but a country and a culture...

I'm in America now, for the first time in quite a long time. It is a bit surprising in the few glances of the tv I have seen flipping through the channels on the tv in a hotel room or flight.... just how much violence there is. Not only entertainment, but also the news. It really does stand out if you are not used to it.

Anyway, this point that I was making originally, is not really about politics... not really about guns... not about violence.. but more about programatic sensibility and how someone unfamiliar with the activity might understand it absent of the context of tradition. I just think there is simply quite a lot of room for more exploration of equipment that might make a bit more sense programatically.

• Like 1

It is not so much a world, but a country and a culture...

I'm in America now, for the first time in quite a long time. It is a bit surprising in the few glances of the tv I have seen flipping through the channels on the tv in a hotel room or flight.... just how much violence there is. Not only entertainment, but also the news. It really does stand out if you are not used to it.

Anyway, this point that I was making originally, is not really about politics... not really about guns... not about violence.. but more about programatic sensibility and how someone unfamiliar with the activity might understand it absent of the context of tradition. I just think there is simply quite a lot of room for more exploration of equipment that might make a bit more sense programatically.

Don't try to back pedal. :rock:/> Your original post was quite clear in the implication of the poteltial of violence springing out of the use of rifles in drum corps colorguards.

• Like 1

danielray,

You are obviously a "let's all feel good" liberal who saw a chance to glom on to the latest monster to legislate away,. That would be rifles and any other weapon, or potential weapon, like frying pans. That's fine, but I don't accept what's happening with this issue today, and I'm willing to call out those who seem to ride the wave in rejection of what I accept.

The drum corps heritage is heavily of military genesis. There's nothing wrong with continuing reference to that heritage. Same for the Coldstream Guards, any other regiment reflecting a sense of purpose and order, including Civil War re-enactors, Star Wars troopers, etc. I don't, in any way, fear March of the Wooden Soldiers. Neither do you.

Edited by Fred Windish
  • Like 3

danielray,

You are obviously a "let's all feel good" liberal who saw a chance to glom on to the latest monster to legislate away,. That would be rifles and any other weapon, or potential weapon , like frying pans That's fine, but I don't accept what's happening with this issue today, and I'm willing to call out those who seem to ride the wave in rejection of what I accept.

The drum corps heritage is heavily of military genesis. There's nothing wrong with continuing reference to that heritage. Same for the Coldstream Guards, any other regiment reflecting a sense of purpose and order, including Civil War re-enactors, Star Wars troopers, etc. I don't, in any way, fear March of the Wooden Soldiers. Neither do you.

Best post I've seen on this thread yet!!!! :worthy:/>

Except for the fact that I am not a liberal and that this post was made more than 5 years ago.

You are, instead, an "I want to buy DCI and run it, and then I'll feel good" conservative. :tongue:

• Like 2

Except for the fact that I am not a liberal and that this post was made more than 5 years ago.

Come on, Daniel. The thread was resurrected by you at this particular time. No problem. By the way, I am a strong conservative, and given where I see we are going, I choose to stand up. Deal with it.

• Like 1

danielray,

I just went back to all those 2007 postings. I read several (but not all) pages. You HAVE been consistent with your opinion that rifles are wrong for this activity. I acknowledge and respect your continuing view. However, I believe your view on this issue is not correct.

That's all.