Time for Rifles to Go?

Should rifles stay or go?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like rifles to stay in the activity?

• yes
    • no

Cadets 1995 did some more conventional (militaristic-wise) stuff with rifles. During the ballad they simulated guys getting drafted and going off to war (complete with simulated 'shooting' on the battlefield). Also at the very end they recreated the Iwo Jima monument complete with guard soldier taking aim with their rifles.

Yes they did, and Madison did it first in 1976, or at least I that's the first time I recall. Cadets also had "Little Geoffrey" in 2010 who, if I remember correctly, did some maneuvering with a rifle, but I don't think he'd make it in the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine, or Coast Guard. Of course I am talking about the character of Little Geoffrey whose supposed to be a young child, not the young man who portrayed him. If he could survive a summer with a drum corps, he'd probably survive the military too!

The latest call to ban rifles from the activity is but another knee-jerk, feel-good reaction in response to a sad current event. There's panic in the streets, and this is evidence as found on DCP. Was the Connecticut shooter wearing shoes? Do we really need to feature shoes on the field?

Edited by Fred Windish

The latest call to ban rifles from the activity is but another knee-jerk, feel-good reaction in response to a sad current event. There's panic in the streets, and this is evidence found on DCP. Was the Connecticut shooter wearing shoes? Do we really need to feature shoes on the field?

No it's not - from the OP -
I am not suggesting that the activity outright bans them

Mike

Mike, the survey asks if rifles should stay, or go. I voted they should stay. To have voted they should "go" sounds like a ban to me. In any event, It's very trendy now to call out rifles and most anything capable of assault. Should drum corps participants begin to use their "fake" rifles for assault purposes, I'd consider calling for them to "go" from this activity. Until then, I'll vote to keep rifles in this activity. Also, to keep such things as tubas, an implement whose possible strike to the head would not be good.

smile.gif

Edited by Fred Windish

What if tradition, for simply the sake of tradition, causes a disconnect for potential new fans that lack this context?

It is like if ballet evolved out of farm work and now each ballet had dancers jumping around doing stuff like Swan Lake with rakes and shovels.

Dancing around with guns and swords is equally strange and makes absolutely no sense in the context of modern drum corps.

Dan,

this is me jumping in late, because I wanted to think this response out well.

We live in a world where everytime I see a video game commercial, the new game is even more violent than the last.

movies with death and violence are promoted at all hours of the day and night.

same with tv

same with books

in the advent of the situation in CT, I have seen a large gun show cancelled because asualt weapoins were not going to be allowed.

Then I saw a new gun show anounced that people could not wait to sign up and attend and exhibit.

Oh, just saw a commercial for violent movie. guns blazing!

So, in our tiny niche activity, I really doubt a piece of wood, usually taped white, that almost sort of resembles the hunting rifle Elmer Fudd uses is going to turn people away from the activity in masses or terrify new ones from ever coming.

• Like 2

Jeff,

Exactly right!

Everyone needs to calm down, even here on DCP.

well, I'll be honest...he's only parroting what his mentor and idol made a stink about back in, what 2001?

usually when Dan gets an idea, it's easY to tracE where the ideA came from

• Like 2