Time for Rifles to Go?

Should rifles stay or go?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like rifles to stay in the activity?

• yes
    • no

In 1979 and 1980, the Bridgemen recreated the Civil War, Bridgemen style of course and they took liberties. For one thing the South won at DCI--interesting concept from a corps that hailed from New Jersey, and I think they used flags, not rifles. I vaguely remember a corps had mobsters one year, but I don't believe I've ever seen rifles being used in a militaristic manner or to actually mock-murder someone. As a matter of fact, what is done with rifles in a drum corps show is as close to a real military battle as when Fritz's toy soldiers and Clara's toy box come to life to fight the Mouse King in "The Nutcracker." Rifles in drum corps, whether the regimented style of yesterday or the free style manner common today, are used artistically.

I also agree with your point that drum corps is about the last place to look for the glorification of violence. I have seen great shows and horrible shows, shows that are bizarre, off the wall, corps where the color guard wears uniforms that I'd probably consider too skimpy for my daughter if I had a daughter, shows that are exciting, boring, and everything else in between. I think I've seen it all except for one thing--I don't think I've ever seen tasteless which glorifying violence would be. I trust I will not see it this year either.

Cadets 1995 did some more conventional (militaristic-wise) stuff with rifles. During the ballad they simulated guys getting drafted and going off to war (complete with simulated 'shooting' on the battlefield). Also at the very end they recreated the Iwo Jima monument complete with guard soldier taking aim with their rifles.

Cadets 1995 did some more conventional (militaristic-wise) stuff with rifles. During the ballad they simulated guys getting drafted and going off to war (complete with simulated 'shooting' on the battlefield). Also at the very end they recreated the Iwo Jima monument complete with guard soldier taking aim with their rifles.

We had complete battle scenes in both our 71 (Revolutionary War) and 72 (No More War) shows, where one by one the horn line players 'died' by kneeling.

• Like 1

I don’t know why anyone would want to limit the corps creativity but telling them they can’t use rifles

And why do so many people hate drum corps heritage, is it some sort of jealous bando thing? Is that why they keep trying to kill it?

Whats next, burning the American flag as the color pre

• Like 2

I'm having a hard time believing that, as of now, 65 people in the poll would like to see rifles removed from DCI.

Are there really that many trolls on DCP??

• Like 2

I don't get this thread. The rifles used in drum corps don't look even close to the real deal. No one is spinning immitation assault rifles. Rifles have come and gone and come back in the activity. In 83 and 84 I don't think any of the top 3 used rifles. Those miniature flags were spun instead.

• Like 1

I don't see anything "broken" with the use of rifles so there is nothing to fix.

That being said, there are examples where other equipment has been used just as effectively. Cadets '91 and '01 comes to mind - '91 for the 'S-shaped' guard equipment and '01 for the commas.

I also loved the mini-flags used in the early 80's. I'm surprised they haven't been used since.

There was a period of time when Vanguard didn't use rifles - they had those bed post things with the streamers. While I wasn't fond of them, they fit the whole "aura" of what the Vanguard stood for. Someone above also mentioned hula hoops which Vanguard had in several shows as well.

I agree that sabres are not effective because it's hard to see them. Every sabre line on the field looks like it's doing interpretive dance with invisible equipment.

Remember when corps put streamers on rifles?

Remember when corps put streamers on rifles?

How about when they put reflective tape on the barrels and stocks to shimmer in the light.

...or when they put metal bits (could be coins...washers, etc...) under the straps to give that 'click, click' sound when spinning...now we're going waaaay back! :tongue:/>

I don’t know why anyone would want to limit the corps creativity but telling them they can’t use rifles

And why do so many people hate drum corps heritage, is it some sort of jealous bando thing? Is that why they keep trying to kill it?

Whats next, burning the American flag as the color pre

That's not it at all. It's not that there must be something "wrong" with rifles to wonder if there is another visual opportunity to explore. You don'thave to "hate" drum corps' heritage to ask yourself whether there might be a way to achieve those sorts of effects with an object of a different shape. The tradition already has evolved, hasn't it? This discussion is about other possible stages in that evolution.

Your comment about the color pre was funny. It's also an apt reminder of just how far the color guard concept has changed. The guard doesn't guard the colors in any traditional way any more. That being the case, it's valid to discuss whether we might consider alternatives to rifles and sabres - which really aren't rifles or sabres anyway.

HH

That's not it at all. It's not that there must be something "wrong" with rifles to wonder if there is another visual opportunity to explore. You don'thave to "hate" drum corps' heritage to ask yourself whether there might be a way to achieve those sorts of effects with an object of a different shape.

No one is stopping anyone from using other equipment. The poll that started this discussion is about whether rifles should be banned.