Time for Rifles to Go?

Should rifles stay or go?  

489 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like rifles to stay in the activity?

• yes
    • no

Here is my synopsis on Rifles (and I mean the actual people as much as I mean the equipment). Having NOT read any of the previous comments (political or not), I just want to say Rifles (the people) are the greatest risk takers in the activity. They are the Flying Wallendas of the gridiron. On any given night, the greatest equipment handler can be reduced to the most worthless schlub on the field with (sometimes only) one error. Ask any rifle or flag who dropped, and whose corps lost by 1/10th of a point in the tic era. They will tell you the shame.

The color guard is simultaneously the least respected, least rehearsed, and most important part of the big picture. The rifle line is the ultimate measure of their precision. A critical drop in a big show is just unforgivable. To explain it any more clearly would force me to be crass.

As a brass player, I can say that while I was good (very good), there were always moments I could rest, or under deliver, very briefly, if I needed to. The folks in the color guard though, and especially those who dared to throw the rifle so high, and catch it as if it were nothing, (like it's return were as guaranteed as a blink is with a sneeze!), they were (and are) the highwire heroes of our activity. While a screaming soprano will take your breath away, a huge toss, or catch, will stop your heart.

To wonder if rifles should be pushed out is to wonder, if horns (bugles) or drums should be mothballed as well. We are all playing military signaling devices, and tossing armaments and nationalistic emblems (flags) about for the sheer purpose of entertainment and competition. In the end, I think we all need to relax and realize that no matter what the symbols are in this activity, they stand for some core values (creativity, strong work ethic, excellence) that truly transcend the more simple pieces of equipment we use to express ourselves.

We are DCI.

:worthy:/>

Here is my synopsis on Rifles (and I mean the actual people as much as I mean the equipment). Having NOT read any of the previous comments (political or not), I just want to say Rifles (the people) are the greatest risk takers in the activity. They are the Flying Wallendas of the gridiron. On any given night, the greatest equipment handler can be reduced to the most worthless schlub on the field with (sometimes only) one error. Ask any rifle or flag who dropped, and whose corps lost by 1/10th of a point in the tic era. They will tell you the shame.

The color guard is simultaneously the least respected, least rehearsed, and most important part of the big picture. The rifle line is the ultimate measure of their precision. A critical drop in a big show is just unforgivable. To explain it any more clearly would force me to be crass.

As a brass player, I can say that while I was good (very good), there were always moments I could rest, or under deliver, very briefly, if I needed to. The folks in the color guard though, and especially those who dared to throw the rifle so high, and catch it as if it were nothing, (like it's return were as guaranteed as a blink is with a sneeze!) always had to be at the top of their game. They were (and are) the highwire heroes of our activity. While a screaming soprano will take your breath away, a huge toss, or catch, will stop your heart.

To wonder if rifles should be pushed out is to wonder, if horns (bugles) or drums should be mothballed as well. We are all playing military signaling devices, and tossing armaments and nationalistic emblems (flags) about for the sheer purposes of entertainment and competition. In the end, I think we all need to relax and realize that no matter what the symbols are in this activity, they stand for some core values (creativity, strong work ethic, excellence) that truly transcend the more simple pieces of equipment we use to express ourselves.

We are DCI.

Thank You!!!!!!! :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

• Like 1

The drum corps heritage is heavily of military genesis. There's nothing wrong with continuing reference to that heritage. Same for the Coldstream Guards, any other regiment reflecting a sense of purpose and order, including Civil War re-enactors, Star Wars troopers, etc. I don't, in any way, fear March of the Wooden Soldiers. Neither do you.

This is the Norwegian Royal Guard Regiment (equivalent to the British and Canadian Guards regiments).

These guys give the USMC Band and Honor Guard and the Army's 1 BN 3d Infantry (The Old Guard) a run for their money.

All of this is being performed on ICE! Wonder if that's why the percussion section wears white gloves.

Those are US made Garand M-1 rifles (WWII), and they are heavy weapons (9 POUNDS EACH). It's also,known for its balance!!

When that one fellow goes on his own - YOU'VE NEVER SEEN A RIFLE SPUN THAT FAST!

http://sorisomail.com/email/16993/exibicao-de-banda-militar--um-espectaculo-imperdivel.html

Edited by Ghost
  • Like 3

While I think the rifle/sabre lines should go it's more the equipment not the performers, i think we can be more innovative in what objects they can spin, toss, catch, twirl, etc....and since they have morphed into a "Color Guard" and interchange equipment is "Rifle line, Sabre Line" still relevant?

is "Rifle line, Sabre Line" still relevant?

approx. 9 out of 10 DCP'ers think so, so I think we have reached the stage now on DCP for the cartoon of the guy whipping his horse with a whip seems appropriate. I think that after several years of this thread discussion, approx 90% have pretty much made up their minds that rifles and sabres are still " relevent ". There is not a single proposal by any Corps Director in DCI for rifles ( or sabres) to go either, so this issue of getting rid of "the rifles" has now reached the level stage of being " irrelevent " it seems to me after several years of thread discussion and DCP fan polling on it. This thread probably should have started on the " Guard " section of DCP too, as it seems more " relevent " to have been placed there and to let the people using this equipment ( and teaching this equipmernt useage ) tell us if they think rifles and sabres need to go. That said, its been a good multi year discussion here and as several others have pointed out, perhaps its time now for this thread topic " to go ", as its pretty much run its full course now.

Edited by BRASSO

This is the Norwegian Royal Guard Regiment (equivalent to the British and Canadian Guards regiments).

These guys give the USMC Band and Honor Guard and the Army's 1 BN 3d Infantry (The Old Guard) a run for their money.

All of this is being performed on ICE! Wonder if that's why the percussion section wears white gloves.

Those are US made Garand M-1 rifles (WWII), and they are heavy weapons (9 POUNDS EACH). It's also,known for its balance!!

When that one fellow goes on his own - YOU'VE NEVER SEEN A RIFLE SPUN THAT FAST!

http://sorisomail.co...imperdivel.html

I am only sorry that I can not give this more than ONE Green mark.

Edited by 2B or not 2B

I am only sorry that I can not give this more than ONE Green mark.

I took care of that for you, and " loaned " you one of mine and gave it to him on your behalf.

You owe me, 2B or not 2B ( haha)

• Like 1

I took care of that for you, and " loaned " you one of mine and gave it to him on your behalf.

You owe me, 2B or not 2B ( haha)

I sent one to you!!!!!!

Edited by 2B or not 2B