ESPN Broadcast Discussion Topic

WTF graduating?

lol

diplomas

That's no joke....now they're expected to go out in the DCA world and earn a living. :P

• Replies 505
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been one of those "older guys" who have been "trashing" DCI. I saw the telecast last night and want to say that, although we have lost many, many corps, the quality of drum corps both DCI and DCA is better than ever.

Now for something completely unexpected from me.....

Cadets ROCKED! When I listened to what they did with the narration I thought that it WAS NOT distracting and added to the show and the audio experience. It was creative and original and I am now a fan...again.

All the other corps were awesome as well and I wish continued success for all in the future.

Different eras completely, guys. Marching bands in the schools and all that. Ironically, with MB's getting the axe elsewhere (no problem in Texas!), those are shrinking and going away, too.

Unless you're in Texas--everything is bigger down here, you all say! MB's included.

I fully agree that it was a completely different era. What I wish is that there was still someplace you could see it live. In another post I used analagy of rap and classical - just because rap is popular now doesn't mean I can't find a live classical performance if I want to. And in 30 years, there will be a bunch of 45 year olds bemoaning the fact that the new music, whatever it is, just isn't like good old rap. But they will be able to find a live rap concert to see somewhere (Branson MO??? :grouphug: ). Other than some alumni corps like at DCA and Anaheim this year, Madison sorta last year, you just can't find it live. That is what saddens me a bit. But these days I know there is no way you are going to get 75 local kids and teach them drum or P/R bugle (by rote), instill miitary discipline into them, and drive them all over the county to perform.

This is what it felt like to the dinosaurs when they were going extinxt.

Just call me Conrtasaurs rex.

Tues., Sept. 25th at 2 pm (eastern time)

Thur., Sept. 27th at 2 pm (eastern time)

I forgot the broadcast was on until I was surfing before I went to bed and caught it.

ESPN didn't do that poor of a job, although I certainly would have preferred to see the whole shows.

(I found it when Phantom started Firebird!)

WGI fans certainly have nothing to complain about. The guards recieved more coverage than Watergate. :P

Was it me, or did the crowd go nuckin futs at the end of Crown's show?

They weren't throwing babies - they were throwin' PONIES!

Excellent job Crown, and I wholeheartedly agree with Dennis, y'all got screwed.

Edited by radiosteele

I'm in the EXACT SAME boast with you. I still love the show though.

The narration gets worse and worse though. ####! The narration really does RUIN this show. Even most Cadet haters would admit they desrved #1 this year.

Cheers, :grouphug:

Sean

w/Stp:

Cadets did not deserve #1 this year. They were beaten three nights in a row - get over it.

Speaking of Crown, I thought they had the most entertaining show of the evening.... :)

Speaking of Crown...My husband was livid when he realized they changed the drill in the William Tell part of the show and had them facing backwards. I had to hear about that all night. b**bs

Personally, I was not a fan of the added narration I thought it raised the "cheese" factor of the show. I could've done without it. I loved Crown's show and that sort of pulled the air out of the ending for me.

I was surprised that I didn't mind Cadets narration as much, for some reason. :music: Although I didn't think it was warranted.

I also didn't like the fact that Mr. Hopkins was rambling on about how it's mostly old school people who don't like the "change" (narration). That is simply not true. At both shows we went to this summer, KIDS, the KIDS in the stands were making fun of the narration. They were also saying that there was nothing innovative about it since it had been done by mb's for years. So try again on blaming "old schoolers" for that one. :grouphug:

Edited by Lancerlady