Staff Changes for 08

CoreyD

Doesn't Boston have rehearsals in Florida a lot?

they've been holding their winter camps in clearwater, FL (orlando as of this past year).

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya, but corps practice in other states all the time. I have a friend who marched Blue Stars for two years, and she said she went to LaCrosse once! I actually think they may not have even been in Wisconsin for a few of them.

Doesn't Boston have rehearsals in Florida a lot?

Boston is cold and everything is snowed in, who wants to rehearse there.

Here is one announcement that is now official:

From BK's website:

The Blue Knights Drum and Bugle Corps announced that Andy Smart will be assuming the role of Brass Caption Head for the 2008 season. Consulting with Andy and working directly with the members of the Blue Knights will also be Jason Buckingham.

"We are extremely fortunate to have Andy and Jason serving in these positions", stated Blue Knights Director Mark Arnold. "They bring extensive drum corps experience to the organization, and both are exceptional teachers and motivators who have been major contributors to our success through the years."

Andy is an alumnus of the Blue Knights who served in the capacity of Drum Major in his age-out year of 1999. Since that time Andy has performed through-out the World with the cast of the Broadway Musical Hit "Blast", served as a clinician and musical arranger for numerous high school bands, was the Blue Knights Caption Head in 2002 and 2003, and most recently, in 2007, served as Assistant Caption Head with the Blue Knights.

"It truly is rewarding to have been a part of the growth of the Blue Knights organization through the past several years," said Smart. "The Blue Knights have given so much to me personally, and it is an honor to be in this position and to have the opportunity to positively influence the experience of our current members in such a meaningful manner. The Blue Knights are blessed with amazing talent and I'm really excited to get going!"

Jason Buckingham is certainly no stranger to the Blue Knights! Jason served in the capacity of Brass Caption Head from 1996 through 2001 and is responsible for some of the strongest horn lines in Blue Knights history. Before joining the Blue Knights Jason was a part of the original cast of "Blast" in London. Jason left the Blue Knights in 2002 to pursue his Masters Degree in Music Education and is currently the Director of Bands at Northglenn Sr. High School in Colorado. Most recently Jason served as the Caption Head for the Colts Drum and Bugle Corps where in 2007 they made their first finals appearance (10th Place) since 2001.

"I am thrilled to return to the Corps, particularly on the occasion of the Blue Knights 50th anniversary. Most of my personal drum corps history is with the Blue Knights and the opportunity to come home and work with Andy Smart is very special. I am looking forward to an amazing experience."

Smart replaces Joni Viertel-Perez who served as Caption Head in 2005, 2006 and 2007. "The Blue Knights will certainly miss Joni," said Arnold. "She brought our brass program to new levels which gained the respect of the entire Drum Corps community. She is a tremendous role model for her students, and the positive impact she had on the Blue Knights and its membership will be felt forever."

"I do, of course, wish the Blue Knights all the best in the future." Said Viertel-Perez. "I feel the corps within its membership has all the potential in the world to do incredible things. I will take great pride in my association with the Blue Knights and want to thank everyone in the organization for their support and giving me the opportunity to work with such incredible young men and women."

Here is one announcement that is now official:

From BK's website:

wow...

first Joni Perez was very good for the blue knights.

second bringing Andy Smart back to replace her ???????

third Buckingham moves from colts .

who is BCH at colts now ?

what do you mean by this should be fun? Tom's spent quite a bit of time with the corps over the last few years to my understanding. I think he'll do a great job! I just hope the corps veterans have enough faith in him.

Tom Spataro is a former DM of BAC, aged out just a few years ago. Sharp,savvy,and knows what the corps needs!

In fact much of BAC's on field programs are now being run by recent alums from all over the country. Percussion alums from Florida, Tour dir. from No.Carolina etc. Everyone helps out, but the present corps has its own identity.

Tom Spataro is a former DM of BAC, aged out just a few years ago. Sharp,savvy,and knows what the corps needs!

In fact much of BAC's on field programs are now being run by recent alums from all over the country. Percussion alums from Florida, Tour dir. from No.Carolina etc. Everyone helps out, but the present corps has its own identity.

I wish Tom & The Boston Crusaders all the best in the 2008 season. Tom being a very seasoned Crusader will bring the Corps to new heights. This change will only add to the Crusader's mystique. :ph34r::lol:

Andy and Jason are both going to be amazing assets to the Blue Knights.

The best story about Andy Smart...in 99, while he was drum major, he still managed to find time to prepare an I&E piece on trumpet. He went on third I believe, but I know for sure it was pretty early in the day that year. The judges said to him afterwards that it was truly amazing, and they were giving him an 99.5. They said he deserved 100, but because he went on so early in the day, they had to leave a little room at the top. He won, by the way.

Andy Smart is amazing! And Jason...also truly amazing. I've personally never worked with him, but heard many legends and definitely heard the brass sounds from the late 90s from BK! Best story of Jason I have...in 2005, when he was with the Troopers, the Troopers caravan and the BK caravan were driving through Iowa. There was a crazy drunk driver swirving all over the road. He kept cutting off busses and slamming on his brakes, and it was nuts. He ended up going off the road onto the dirt, got confused, got back on the freeway now headed straight for us, and charged us. He got boxed in, and tried to run out of his car, and the staffs from both corps stuck around to make sure he didn't go anywhere, and man oh man, Jason just came out swinging, and pulled the dude straight out of his jeep! It was nuts to watch!

Why is Jamie Thompson changing corps?

I dont know...but he is not going to Boston.

It is another corps with similar uniforms

I dont know...but he is not going to Boston.

It is another corps with similar uniforms

Lol....thats not a giveaway or anything....