Eulogy for Horns in G

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FTR, I completely agree. I was not in any way jumping on Jordan for not marching. I never marched either and have no problem being honest about that.

Sorry if it appeared I was directing this toward you, 07-socks or anyone in particular. I was responding in general to the idea that a persons opinion matters less if they don't march. Or didn't march DCI... or didn't marched during the era being discussed... or didn't ad nausium......

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

does anyone manufacture g bugles/horns anymore?

You can special order them from some manufactures, Kanstul has them on their web site. From what I've read the only difference is length of lead pipe for most horns. Big problem is the cost of a new horn compared to a used one in good shape.

Just to clarify, I was simply talking about what I thought of the Kingsmen hornline, not about the show itself (which I also happened to love). How I perceived the sound of their brass section had nothing to do with whether or not narration or amplification was used.

This has nothing at all to do with this thread topic.... but I like the video of the seagull stealing a bag of chips, in MadScout96's signature!!!

Fran

Edited by Fran Haring

Good question. I know the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps plays on a custom-made set of two-valve G instruments, but I don't know who the manufacturer is.

Fran

Just to clarify, I was simply talking about what I thought of the Kingsmen hornline, not about the show itself (which I also happened to love). How I perceived the sound of their brass section had nothing to do with whether or not narration or amplification was used.

Ehh...how many things in this world are 'the best ever' to you. Thats what gets old to me...

I guess that begs the question... when taps is sounded for G Bugles, will it be performed on a G Bugle or a Bb horn?

You can get G bugles made but they only make them to order, they don't mass produce them since there isn't a great deal of demand for them. According to my brother, who's in the Marine D&BC soprano line, their bugles are Kanstul.

Am I supposed to feel bad for him? He's posted some of the most absurd, inane crap that I've ever read on this site, and I don't feel like I should have to lay back and let him post crap and present it as legitimate, genuine opinion.

In that case why don't you qualify what makes for a "legitimate, genuine opinion"? How is his opinion any less legitimate or genuine than yours? Perhaps I think yours is less legitimate and genuine than mine becasue I've been around drum corps as a member, instructor and director for 37 years.

So, go ahead, big guy. Qualify your statement.

Garry in Vegas