Eulogy for Horns in G

You can get G bugles made but they only make them to order, they don't mass produce them since there isn't a great deal of demand for them. According to my brother, who's in the Marine D&BC soprano line, their bugles are Kanstul.

G, G/D and G/F bugles have always been custom order. I can't think of any manufacturer that kept an inventory of G bugles, especially not for the last 7 years. The market for Bb/F brass has always been the dominany portion of the market due to the fact that there has always been significantly more bands and orchestras than drum corps.

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't lie, I was darn proud to play in a G horn line in 2006. As one of our techs said "theres something to be said for being the only G line in Division I." As good as some of the elite horn lines in Bb are, there's nothing quite like the sound of a powerful G horn line coming at you! It's such a unique sound that sets out activity apart from other musical activities, its a shame to see it gone from the member corps.

What he said. <3

The whole G vs. Bb thing has been beat to death in these forums. But one thing that hasn't been mentioned is when IMHO the 'bugles' died in my mind. When three valves came in. For me that was the beginning of the end. The two valvers (and the P/R bugles before them) had a distinctiveness both in appearance and sound that set drum corps apart from the bands of the day. It was easy to know the difference in those days. Once three valves were passed I remember thinking "Well, why bother, might as well play trumpets".

About the time three valves came in, a more conservative musical approach also took hold, more emphasis on quality, less power. To me, those lines didn't quite sound the same even though they were still in G. Today I am blown away by the overall musicality of the Bb lines and I have come to appreciate the F mello and it's true midvoice position in the brass choir. But I miss the distinctive appearance and sound of the two-valved G bugle and the 'Katy bar the door' approach it was often played with.

From what I have read in the brass forum, not all Bb horns are especially well made either. Specifically, they have been characterized as inconsistent. I know that at least one company that had a booth at finals makes a very front heavy french horn, but I don't know how it plays. From the standpoint of familiarity and ease of transition, however, Bb/F hornlines do make sense. Their use undoubtedly makes it easier to have support from music educators that might otherwise advise against a student marching in drum corps. I still have a 2 valve G horn, and I admit that playing it in tune requires focus, but I love that chromey G goodness.

As to the comments on the Kingsmen Alumni Corps, I thought the "old folks" were great! It definitely was a different sound than, say BK, but very enjoyable nonetheless. From what I've heard and read on the forums, they played on whatever old horns they could get their hands on, so they weren't even using a matched set. I have been told that their french horn section alone was using 4 different models.

At any rate, Bb is here to stay, and from a practical perspective it makes sense. Despite their absence in world class, G horns are still out there, so whenever I get an urge to hear that unique sound I can still get my fix. Perhaps one day an especially well off corps will surprise us all and pull out a set of Gs from behind their art walls (or whatever they call them) and throw some old skool at us in the middle of their show. Talk about GE!

On the topic of G horns: I actually like the way a lot of those hornlines sounded, and I still think that G mellos speak and cut through the ensemble waaaaaaaaay more than F mellos do.

another truth right there.

Edited by Jared_mello

The whole G vs. Bb thing has been beat to death in these forums. But one thing that hasn't been mentioned is when IMHO the 'bugles' died in my mind. When three valves came in. For me that was the beginning of the end. The two valvers (and the P/R bugles before them) had a distinctiveness both in appearance and sound that set drum corps apart from the bands of the day. It was easy to know the difference in those days. Once three valves were passed I remember thinking "Well, why bother, might as well play trumpets".

About the time three valves came in, a more conservative musical approach also took hold, more emphasis on quality, less power. To me, those lines didn't quite sound the same even though they were still in G. Today I am blown away by the overall musicality of the Bb lines and I have come to appreciate the F mello and it's true midvoice position in the brass choir. But I miss the distinctive appearance and sound of the two-valved G bugle and the 'Katy bar the door' approach it was often played with.

Sir, you speak the truth. I can't fathom Bonnie Ott playing her solo's of yore on a Bb or F horn. I just can't hear '80 Spirit of Atlanta folding my ears back with newer equipment. Unfortunatly, a lot of these Bb vs G thread turn out to pissingmatch.jpg

Out of tune hornlines :P

I see by the smiley you are kind of joking, but alot of people think

that G = out of tune and crass. Some of the best ensemble sounds in my opinion,

came from G hornlines.

Edited by madalumni

I see by the smiley you are kind of joking, but alot of people think

that G = out of tune and crass. Some of the best ensemble sounds in my opinion,

came from G hornlines.

I won't argue that the top level G hornlines weren't just as good as the top level Bb hornlines. A group of mature musicians will be able to make the switch fairly easily I would think.

I would argue that the bottom level G hornlines weren't as good as the bottom level Bb hornlines. A group of immature musicians would have to not only battle with their inadequacies as brass players, but also the switch to a different horns that they are not familiar with.