Eulogy for Horns in G

As a counterpoint, upon going back and reading the said post in question, Hrothgar did say that they sounded amazing "due to their instrumentation."

My opinion? Kind of ridiculous. But that's all.

Hmmm... That could refer to key of G or it could refer to the fact that AKs horn line had a mix of 2 valve, 3 valve and piston/rotor jobs. And take it from someone who has played all three, the P/Rs have a different sound even without taking the key into consideration.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rules of grammar are mostly arbitrary and usually useless.
Indeed. And that makes returning to school as an adult all the more frustrating. Many of the arbitrary rules have changed, and are expected to change again. (the preceding comma is a style choice, intended to provide emphasis; but not as much as other punctuations might have :P ) Also, there are so many ways to lose points in an English class because the instructor interprets one's intentions incorrectly that it's just infuriating. (And I'm not talking about vague, imprecise language in a context that requires specificity and precision.) Ahhh... the chaos of preparing for a second career...

(EDIT)For those of you that aren't fluent in Between-the-lines, This post is actually very on topic...(END EDIT)

Edited by stifled4mallettechnique

Hmmm... That could refer to key of G or it could refer to the fact that AKs horn line had a mix of 2 valve, 3 valve and piston/rotor jobs. And take it from someone who has played all three, the P/Rs have a different sound even without taking the key into consideration.

Unfortunately I didn't get to hear the AKs in person, I really wish I could have...

But the point is that Hrothgar's comment doesn't seem to be actually complementing the AKs on being good or playing their horns well, but is instead implying that they sounded good simply due to the instrument, and thusly everyone should play on the same type of instrument as well.

Unfortunately I didn't get to hear the AKs in person, I really wish I could have...

But the point is that Hrothgar's comment doesn't seem to be actually complementing the AKs on being good or playing their horns well, but is instead implying that they sounded good simply due to the instrument, and thusly everyone should play on the same type of instrument as well.

I only heard the recording (many times :P ) and in person would have been interesting.

Just wanted to throw out that AKs sound was due more than just being in a different key. And no one on this thread said anything about the mix of horn configurations (2V, 3V, P/R) so wonder if anyone posting here (including Hrothgar) even knew this. God knows I can't tell the G/Bb difference with my uneducated ears.

And #### no one even mentioned the horn line was at least twice as big as everyone else horn line. That might have made a difference. :ph34r:

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

I stated that it was their instrumentation that took part in allowing them to sound so good to my ears. No doubt that their hornline was incredibly talented and played very well, but one of the reasons I thought they sounded better than many of the other corps that night was because they were playing G bugles.

I only heard the recording (many times :P ) and in person would have been interesting.

Just wanted to throw out that AKs sound was due more than just being in a different key. And no one on this thread said anything about the mix of horn configurations (2V, 3V, P/R) so wonder if anyone posting here (including Hrothgar) even knew this. God knows I can't tell the G/Bb difference with my uneducated ears.

And #### no one even mentioned the horn line was at least twice as big as everyone else horn line. That might have made a difference. :ph34r:

Ha, I bet it probably did. That's interesting about the mix of horns, I didn't know that.

Completely on topic .... no one will ever play Candide on a two valve G horn ever again. At least not in DCI. Nor will they play Slaughter or the Nutcracker or Swan Lake or Georgia or Channel One or Conquest. I take great pride in the fact that I had the honor to play a few of those great works of musical literature on an instrument that was so difficult to play and distinct in it's characteristics. From here on out, no one will ever know what it's like to jump an octave on an 8th or 16th note just to hit an Ab or Eb or D etc etc. No one will ever know how hard it was the blend that note and make it sound like it was meant to be there. No one will know how raw and dark and warm and face peeling an Eb minor chord is on those horns. They won't know what it's like to have to bend every single note on the horn to play it in tune on any given chord structure. It was truly an honor to be a part of that era ... and I feel for the generations who come after me ... who will not get to experience it. There's never been a horn like them ... where you can fill up your lungs and expend every drop of air you have in less than 5 seconds without the horn falling apart in your hands. You had to have chops ... just like drummers had stronger chops before they switched from mylar in the late 80's.

Yes, I'm sure it did. George Parks' great...and large...UMASS band was at the Piscataway NJ USSBA show Saturday night, and at the end of their show they just gathered on the track right by the stands and blew the house down...just got louder and louder...got the same kind of reaction.

Yes, I'm sure it did. George Parks' great...and large...UMASS band was at the Piscataway NJ USSBA show Saturday night, and at the end of their show they just gathered on the track right by the stands and blew the house down...just got louder and louder...got the same kind of reaction.

This is why I'm VERY excited for the 150 rule! b**bs

Ha, I bet it probably did. That's interesting about the mix of horns, I didn't know that.

Well I've got an unfair advantage about that bit o' info.... :ph34r: Three members of our horn line became "adopted Kingsmen" and got to talk to them about their West Coast experiences.

Westshoremen Alumni also has a "play what ya bring" method of outfitting the horn line. As a result Westshore has been doing their one show a year with a mix of G and Bb horns. And when Caballeros Alumni (G) plays with the competing corps (Bb) there is also a mix.

Just some more stuff to chew on in the G/Bb debate......