Eulogy for Horns in G

In that case why don't you qualify what makes for a "legitimate, genuine opinion"? How is his opinion any less legitimate or genuine than yours? Perhaps I think yours is less legitimate and genuine than mine becasue I've been around drum corps as a member, instructor and director for 37 years.

So, go ahead, big guy. Qualify your statement.

Clearly you have not read the thread, at all. Or just failed to comprehend what I wrote. The legitimacy and ingenuity of his opinion has nothing to do with whether or not he marched (I already stated that in an earlier post). It has to do with two things. A. As euponitone stated, it seems like there's an endless list of things that hroth thinks are the "best ______ ever." B. As I stated in an earlier post, and was backed up by TXMystreaux, Hroth lets his opinion on amps, narration, Bb horns, etc. impact his opinion of a corps' show or performance way too much. As TX so aptly pointed out, if Kingsmen had used a word of narration, used amps, or played on Bb bugles but had sounded exactly the same as a hornline, Hroth would not have said anything. You can count on that.

That's why his opinion and posts seem tainted to me. I thought stated this all pretty clearly earlier, but I guess I have to put it all out there explicitly.

Edited by TSRTS13

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He has no credibility with me not because he hasn't marched yet (adding the yet with a bit of hope), but because of his previous posts on this forum. Everything else he's said on this forum leads me to believe that he lets his opinion of amps, Bb horns, narration, etc. inform his perception of a corps' performance or their show. His post comes off to me as disingenuous because I don't think he would've said the same thing if the Kingsmen Alumni played on G bugles but used amplification or narration (not that they would, just a far-fetched example). I didn't see the Kingsmen Alumni perform, but I heard they were great, and I'm sure their horn line sounded great, but I just don't really trust Hrothgar's opinion on anything anymore.

May I suggest that you sign up for a English Grammar course? and take a chill pill

Clearly you have not read the thread, at all. Or just failed to comprehend what I wrote. The legitimacy and ingenuity of his opinion has nothing to do with whether or not he marched (I already stated that in an earlier post). It has to do with two things. A. As euponitone stated, it seems like there's an endless list of things that hroth things are the "best ______ ever." B. As I stated in an earlier post, and was backed up by TXMystreaux, Hroth lets his opinion on amps, narration, Bb horns, etc. impact his opinion of a corps' show or performance way too much. As TX so aptly pointed out, if Kingsmen had used a word of narration, used amps, or played on Bb bugles but had sounded exactly the same as a hornline, Hroth would not have said anything. You can count on that.

That's why his opinion and posts seem tainted to me. I thought stated this all pretty clearly earlier, but I guess I have to put it all out there explicitly.

IMO, you're confusing opinion with fact. Hrothgar has every right to state his opinion, and if it affects his perception of a corps' performance, so be it. Everyone's opinions affect their perceptions. Are you saying your perceptions are completely independent of your opinion? Without that perception, you'd have no opinion at all. And when you state it affects his opinion "way too much...", well that's your opinion, isn't it? Does is justify your reaction? When you say "You can count on that," how do you qualify that statement? Only Hrothgar can answer that. You can only speculate, and you should state is as such.

Backing statements up with others opinions carries about as much weight as your own. It's an opinion and nothing more.

FWIW, yes, I did read the whole thread up to your attack on Hrothgar. It was my opinion, based on the perceptions achieved by reading your attack, that you went off on him unecessarily. If he toques you off that much, just killfile him.

Garry in Vegas

May I suggest that you sign up for a English Grammar course? and take a chill pill

Grammar should not be capitalized. The 'a' should be an 'an'. You should not start a sentence with 'and'. If you are going to start a sentence with 'and' it should be capitalized. You should also include punctuation on your final sentence.

does anyone manufacture g bugles/horns anymore?

The Kilties bought brand new G sopranos and G mellos from Kanstul in 2007.

For us, resale value was not part of the equation when we evaluated what type of horns to purchase. We plan on playing the new horns for many years.

Edited by J.C.

So...what does all this have to do with the title of the thread???

Yes some companies still make G Bugles.(Kanstul, Dynasty...etc)

The G bugle is not dead therefore no need for a Eulogy.

Don't believe me go to Rochester, NY over Labor Day weekend.

IMO, you're confusing opinion with fact. Hrothgar has every right to state his opinion, and if it affects his perception of a corps' performance, so be it. Everyone's opinions affect their perceptions. Are you saying your perceptions are completely independent of your opinion? Without that perception, you'd have no opinion at all. And when you state it affects his opinion "way too much...", well that's your opinion, isn't it? Does is justify your reaction? When you say "You can count on that," how do you qualify that statement? Only Hrothgar can answer that. You can only speculate, and you should state is as such.

Backing statements up with others opinions carries about as much weight as your own. It's an opinion and nothing more.

FWIW, yes, I did read the whole thread up to your attack on Hrothgar. It was my opinion, based on the perceptions achieved by reading your attack, that you went off on him unecessarily. If he toques you off that much, just killfile him.

Garry in Vegas

As a counterpoint, upon going back and reading the said post in question, Hrothgar did say that they sounded amazing "due to their instrumentation."

My opinion? Kind of ridiculous. But that's all.

The rules of grammar are mostly arbitrary and usually useless. I feel like I should also point out that I'm an English major.

I could argue this, but I really don't care. You're still wrong.

Edited by TSRTS13