Who do you prefer to watch in the lot?

Which section?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one already!

• Hornline
    • Drumline
    • Guard

Screw the lot. Bad drum corps can sound good in the lot. I want to hear it when is counts. I don't need to go hear BD's hornline play space chords and Phantom's hornline play Canon in D. Way to go. You can play whole notes. Standing still. I don't need to go hear SCV's drumline play doublebeat.

The lot is for wannabes, probably-never-will-bes, pretenders and bandos running around with their cell phones and video cameras going "ZOMFG! CAVIES ARE PLAYING 8 ON A HAND!"

pure. ignorance.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pure. ignorance.

Oh. Sorry. You're right. I've never marched. Never taught. Never been on the road every summer for the past 7 years.

Me= Ignorance. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Pay me no mind. Clearly your opinion is more correct than mine.

Oh. Sorry. You're right. I've never marched. Never taught. Never been on the road every summer for the past 7 years.

Me= Ignorance. I have no idea what I'm talking about. Pay me no mind. Clearly your opinion is more correct than mine.

No ones opinion is correct here on DCP... why would you think a silly thing like that?

Screw the lot. Bad drum corps can sound good in the lot. I want to hear it when is counts. I don't need to go hear BD's hornline play space chords and Phantom's hornline play Canon in D. Way to go. You can play whole notes. Standing still. I don't need to go hear SCV's drumline play doublebeat.

The lot is for wannabes, probably-never-will-bes, pretenders and bandos running around with their cell phones and video cameras going "ZOMFG! CAVIES ARE PLAYING 8 ON A HAND!"

I'm sure you are talking about a lot of the future members of DCI. I'm sure they like hearing that they are wannabes... good thing DCP doesn't represent the whole drum corps world.

Coming from you, someone who has marched before, and for a while, I think you would appreciate more what goes on in the lot. Yeah personally, I wold rather be in the stands, but there are often a lot of kids, HS kids, who might want to march drum corps, maybe see what goes on behind the scenes... OH and i've heard drum corps sound horrible in the lot, and on the field. Also, coming from me, who has marched, it kind of gets me a little more excited for the show when there are a 100 or so people watching your warm-up.

Yeah what happens in the lot doesn't matter on the field, but it is all part of the show.

No, his opinion is no more valid than yours. You however managed to sound like an ### while explaining yours. Congrats :blink:

it's not that people are hearing space chords or Canon in D...it's that people are hearing BD and Phantom play them. Good music is good music. There is NO sound like drum corps horn lines. The best band, or heck, the best symphony in the world isn't gonna sound like Phantom playing Canon.

Saying the lot is just for wannabes, etc., is just plain contentious, close-minded, and frankly, immature.

I love hearing drum corps perform...whether it be Brass, Guard or Percussion.

However, I hate the idea of missing other corps full on field performances to see another corps warmup.

Lucky for you I'm fluent in sarcasm.

Oh. Sorry. I am right. I've marched. I've taught. I have plenty of idea what I'm talking about. And with posts like your previous one, you will be paid no mind. Clearly my opinion is less biased about the activity in its entirety. You've put in 7 summers (actually 6, according to your bio.. you weren't embellishing were you?) "Way to go." Your resume must be STACKED. Marchers and teachers everywhere should bow down in the presence of your greatness. Because now with your 2 years of competitive marching your have truly achieved jedi status. how'd you do those years? I marched 2 years too - but I don't pretend that there's nothing left to learn.

Obviously the Lot has no impact on people. screw the lot right? DCI isnt making $$ off the "show before the show". Vic Firth/IP/Promark don't have hundreds of hours of in-the-lot vids on their website because they just wanna sell sticks. HA. Get over yourself. You must be the frickin god of contra playing, otherwise I can't imagine why anyone would contract an attitude like yours.

I guess if just the show is the only place "where it counts" (as you say), then those 12 hour rehearsal days, the bonds you make doing reps over and over, the bus rides, the attention to discipline and focus that the Lot has become notorious for exemplifying -- all that doesn't count. Your shortsightedness to realize the activity is so much more than the 11 minutes on the field is actually a little disturbing from a supervet like yourself. My friends appreciate knowing I give a d@m about what they do outside the lines.

Wannabes, never-will-be's, already-were-be's, kids adults family members and friends can all enjoy the lot for what its worth. It gives the opportunity to maybe see how to play an exercise, something you missed in the sheet music, and extra twist on a lick. You can take it home and show up at camp in a couple weeks here and stand tall. It's inspirational. Its brings the crowd into your lap as a player to show off, and as a fan to feel as close to in the line as humanly possible. But then again, all this ... doesn't count right.

Definitely, screw the lot. pure. ignorance.

Edited by 08Hawkeye