Who do you prefer to watch in the lot?

Which section?  

311 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one already!

• Hornline
    • Drumline
    • Guard

Lucky for you I'm fluent in sarcasm.

Oh. Sorry. I am right. I've marched. I've taught. I have plenty of idea what I'm talking about. And with posts like your previous one, you will be paid no mind. Clearly my opinion is less biased about the activity in its entirety. You've put in 7 summers (actually 6, according to your bio.. you weren't embellishing were you?) "Way to go." Your resume must be STACKED. Marchers and teachers everywhere should bow down in the presence of your greatness. Because now with your 2 years of competitive marching your have truly achieved jedi status. how'd you do those years? I marched 2 years too - but I don't pretend that there's nothing left to learn.

Obviously the Lot has no impact on people. screw the lot right? DCI isnt making $$ off the "show before the show". Vic Firth/IP/Promark don't have hundreds of hours of in-the-lot vids on their website because they just wanna sell sticks. HA. Get over yourself. You must be the frickin god of contra playing, otherwise I can't imagine why anyone would contract an attitude like yours.

I guess if just the show is the only place "where it counts" (as you say), then those 12 hour rehearsal days, the bonds you make doing reps over and over, the bus rides, the attention to discipline and focus that the Lot has become notorious for exemplifying -- all that doesn't count. Your shortsightedness to realize the activity is so much more than the 11 minutes on the field is actually a little disturbing from a supervet like yourself. My friends appreciate knowing I give a d@m about what they do outside the lines.

Wannabes, never-will-be's, already-were-be's, kids adults family members and friends can all enjoy the lot for what its worth. It gives the opportunity to maybe see how to play an exercise, something you missed in the sheet music, and extra twist on a lick. You can take it home and show up at camp in a couple weeks here and stand tall. It's inspirational. Its brings the crowd into your lap as a player to show off, and as a fan to feel as close to in the line as humanly possible. But then again, all this ... doesn't count right.

Definitely, screw the lot. pure. ignorance.

I love when people have the ability to be sarcastic, and still make valid points, and not sound like a dumb*** to the entirety of society. :tongue:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucky for you I'm fluent in sarcasm.

Oh. Sorry. I am right. I've marched. I've taught. I have plenty of idea what I'm talking about. And with posts like your previous one, you will be paid no mind. Clearly my opinion is less biased about the activity in its entirety. You've put in 7 summers (actually 6, according to your bio.. you weren't embellishing were you?) "Way to go." Your resume must be STACKED. Marchers and teachers everywhere should bow down in the presence of your greatness. Because now with your 2 years of competitive marching your have truly achieved jedi status. how'd you do those years? I marched 2 years too - but I don't pretend that there's nothing left to learn.

Obviously the Lot has no impact on people. screw the lot right? DCI isnt making $$ off the "show before the show". Vic Firth/IP/Promark don't have hundreds of hours of in-the-lot vids on their website because they just wanna sell sticks. HA. Get over yourself. You must be the frickin god of contra playing, otherwise I can't imagine why anyone would contract an attitude like yours.

I guess if just the show is the only place "where it counts" (as you say), then those 12 hour rehearsal days, the bonds you make doing reps over and over, the bus rides, the attention to discipline and focus that the Lot has become notorious for exemplifying -- all that doesn't count. Your shortsightedness to realize the activity is so much more than the 11 minutes on the field is actually a little disturbing from a supervet like yourself. My friends appreciate knowing I give a d@m about what they do outside the lines.

Wannabes, never-will-be's, already-were-be's, kids adults family members and friends can all enjoy the lot for what its worth. It gives the opportunity to maybe see how to play an exercise, something you missed in the sheet music, and extra twist on a lick. You can take it home and show up at camp in a couple weeks here and stand tall. It's inspirational. Its brings the crowd into your lap as a player to show off, and as a fan to feel as close to in the line as humanly possible. But then again, all this ... doesn't count right.

Definitely, screw the lot. pure. ignorance.

Ok. I'll agree what I said was a little harsh. Sorry if I offend.

My first statement about the lot I stand by. I'll never understand peoples facination with watching lip-slurs, 8s, triplet-diddles and chord progressions.

The second statement was said mostly to try to inject a little humor. Sorry if it flopped. I'll put a smiley with it next time. :tongue:

Edited by contrajedi8

When it comes to utube clips,,it seems drummers are more loyal about posting lot warm ups.Probably for every 1 hornline video there are 10 drumline lot videos.

That tells me that hornline people are inside the show watching the entire performances and that drummers are in the lot following drumline after drumline.

To each his own I guess.

Im sure this has been covered, but I think thats natural. The hornlines are an almost 100% "Audio" entity. Unless its something like BD's "F tuning", or actual show clips, its not that much of a thrill in the lot. Watching a tech go arond from player to player with the tuner is not that thrilling.

The Percussion is 50/50 audio and visual.

Percussion people (Especially kids) LOVE that lot though... I did. I spend less time there these days than when i was 19, but i do enjoy it. It really is its own show.

When it comes to the truly "elite" lines, people want to see them no matter what. Even in Dayton for WGI where there are ONLY drumlines, you have a huge lot crowd for the top 5 or 6 lines.

...It's usually drumline b/c they play more in the lot then they do in the actual show.

As one from the "ancient era", I find this comment interesting.

This thread presents another advantage to "Back in the Day" at least IMHO...

With the existence of many local corps, it was common for each corps to host a show. Since these were not DCI shows, ticket prices were low.

Meaning, you would see many shows over the summer months. It was easy to miss one to spend in the lot.

That being said, if I were to pay the high price for only one or two shows, I'm in the seat.

Screw the lot. Bad drum corps can sound good in the lot. I want to hear it when is counts.

no... bad corps sound bad in the lot. good corps in the lot are remarkable.

and it counts in the lot, too. many corps approach the lot as a performance. (see: blue devils, cadets, etc.) this performance is often better than what is going on in the stadium. very often.

Drum line for me. However, one of the coolest experiences I've had was watching SCV's horn line doing a basics block before a show. I haven't checked out a horn line before but after watching some video on "the tube that shall not be named" of Cadets playing Rocky Point it's definitely on my list of things to do.

well if this survey has any truth, they should start making some in the lot hornline editions...

i just like watching the things that the hornlines have become known for along with their present show