No Love for JAZZ ?

...and that's why I found it puzzling why we ended up with almost everyone playing on Bb instruments. Cost? Profit? Familiarity? Availability? I just don't get it, outside of drum corps having some intrinsic need to be "accepted" in the mainstream scholastic and marching band activities. If that's all it was, then shame on them - if the activity sells out that which makes it unique, then what is the attraction?

I don't see it as selling out. I see it as a continuation of the progress in brass that started decades ago.

As for being accepted, IMO that is also a good thing. For years people complain that band directors look down on drum corps and hesitate to recommend it to their members. Anything that might improve that relationship is fine by me.

As to the attraction, there will always be an attraction to participate with the best. All-state bands, music camps like Interlochen, etc....drum corps is another high level summer activity to offer scholastic musicians.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As if any band director will blindly select instruments to purchase because of an add campaign ("Play the horns Phantom Regiment play"). I've been a director, staff member and judge of bands since 1971, and I do not know of any directors who would do such a thing. Might there be a few numb-nuts who would? Probably. Hardly enough to make it the focus of the manufacturers' marketing campaigns.

As opposed to having the uniform models slouch around in ill-fitted, partially undone uniforms, 5-o'clock shadow, cigarette in one hand, glass of scotch in the other?

Doesn't it make sense for a uniform company to present their products as best they can? For ANY company to do that?

Most of the sound comes from the players and how they are taught, and what type of sound the staffs want to create. Multi-key is a good idea to assist with the transition from band to corps...and just as importantly....back to band. DCI has decided to market itself to the scholastic music world for new members and audience, so it just makes sense, not only $$$-wise, but in getting more directors on board with drum corps as a positive activity.

How so? Shows today are as entertaining as any have ever been..and more than most.

No, it WAS about any and all kids when there were hundreds of corps. Even then, there were only a select few at the top of the pyramid. Today the bulk of the pyramid is the band world, where it still IS about any and all kids....and there are tens of thousands of high schools around the country..plus colleges and lower grade schools.

Thanks for making my point clear that it IS about advertising, but Mike, really, time to put the cup of Kool Aid down for awhile.

The higher costs, the fewer kids can march, the fewer lids that can afford to march, the fewer corps.

If you want to make it a chicken and egg thing, keep in mind how much larger the polulation is now and how few corps compared to that. Yes, video games and soccor have played a part in kids doing other things, but it sure hasent hurt many band programs except in the inner city.

I have no problem with the quest for music education and some evolution in drum corps, but it was supposed to be for ALL kids, and it's NOT.

Why not just change the name to World Class Bands of America and be done with it. Add the woodwinds then the nationally ranked high school bands can compete against the super corps and give them a run for their money......................ahhh, but THAT my friend opens the cash cow.

Thanks for making my point clear that it IS about advertising, but Mike, really, time to put the cup of Kool Aid down for awhile.

Um...no, the rule changes were not all about advertising.

The higher costs, the fewer kids can march, the fewer lids that can afford to march, the fewer corps.

Except that there are more kids marching and competing than ever before, only most of them are marching in compettive bands.

If you want to make it a chicken and egg thing, keep in mind how much larger the polulation is now and how few corps compared to that. Yes, video games and soccor have played a part in kids doing other things, but it sure hasent hurt many band programs except in the inner city.

I have no problem with the quest for music education and some evolution in drum corps, but it was supposed to be for ALL kids, and it's NOT.

It was and is a niche activity. It is not "Leave it to Beaver" time anymore. It's 2007. Times and soceity change. Today it's the scholastic programs that provide the basic training for potential drum corps members. That's where it belongs, IMO, as that it where the taxpayer funds are. Why duplicate what can be done better by the school systems?

Why not just change the name to World Class Bands of America and be done with it. Add the woodwinds then the nationally ranked high school bands can compete against the super corps and give them a run for their money......................ahhh, but THAT my friend opens the cash cow.

Drum corps is whatever those that define it decide it will be. Always has been that way, so why should that change now?

Except that there are more kids marching and competing than ever before, only most of them are marching in competitive bands.

Both are good points...is it expensive to march? YES, however, myself and many other low income individuals made it work every year. Personally, I took a year off school to make it happen, others have better luck finding sponsors. In fact, the majority of people I marched with had at least a portion of their dues coming from sponsorships of varying kinds.

So, yes - the money is a large factor, but let's not downplay the fact that drum corps is hard, really hard. Most people would rather hang out by the pool than do drum corps, because it's not for everyone. It could be the cost, or it could be that Americans are lazy. Every band I work with is amazed by drum corps and their excellence, but it is very rare to find a group that is willing to work like they would need to in order to reach that level. You say money, I say sloth.

Both are good points...is it expensive to march? YES, however, myself and many other low income individuals made it work every year. Personally, I took a year off school to make it happen, others have better luck finding sponsors. In fact, the majority of people I marched with had at least a portion of their dues coming from sponsorships of varying kinds.

So, yes - the money is a large factor, but let's not downplay the fact that drum corps is hard, really hard. Most people would rather hang out by the pool than do drum corps, because it's not for everyone. It could be the cost, or it could be that Americans are lazy. Every band I work with is amazed by drum corps and their excellence, but it is very rare to find a group that is willing to work like they would need to in order to reach that level. You say money, I say sloth.

When did you march?

I think it is some part sloth and some part money.

And this is not to start an argument but I was low income as well and frequently had to work 2 jobs at college to make ends meet.

It took me 4 years of saving to march my age out years of corps.

Before that I had been able to afford to march 3 consecutive summers by working part time jobs after school (I was in high school then).

By the time I had amassed some money in college from working and saving...fees had risen so quickly...that I HAD to choose one season...and even making that final decision was a financial massacre when I got back from tour.

I felt like back when fees were $700-1200...it was easy to say kids could work and get sponsorships to cover their gaps. But $2000-3000?!

I dont have one of those families/communities that can just drop $50-100...and trust me...I had no shame in asking.

A lot of my friends wanted to march corps and just couldnt afford to. They wished they had my work ethic and ability to sacrifice (both qualities I got from drum corps) to do a summer of corps. But getting fees AND not working summer jobs killed their chances.

I never got to go on spring breaks because I was always working.

If there had been a regional touring World Class corps in my area that allowed me to work summers AND march...I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat...

Sacrificing is a part of drum corps...and I would have been perfectly fine with performing regionally all summer and NOT on finals night...

sorry...this post probably belongs in that OTHER discussion...and not jazz...

yeah...I miss those Madison BLOW YOUR FACE OFF shows....

...there...see...back on topic...

I don't see it as selling out. I see it as a continuation of the progress in brass that started decades ago.

Not to say you are wrong, but I'm not sure I understand that answer. It's not like symphonies and orchestras are switching all of their instrumentation, even just the brass, over to Bb... there's still tons of brass (and woodwind) instruments in various keys... so why do marching bands and drum corps have to choose Bb as the designated key?

When did you march?

I marched 01-03 - my dues went something like $600, $600. $1,100

Myself and many other friends did it all ourselves - that and other bills such as phones, rent, etc. Regiment hands out a pre-fabricated sponsorship letter to give to corporations and various groups.

This discussion is of course in response to the suggestion that the mentality of members affects the style they play. Really, the sound, style, and rep choices of corps are entirely up to the design team and instructors.

(jazz) :)