Solutions

/mod hat on

Again, folks...please stop the personal snipes. Good discussion is always passionate, but refrain from attacking the person, eh?

I don't think we need a lame "further behavior will result in thread closure" reminder since we're all big boys and girls here, but remember to try to frame your arguments with the Forum Guidelines in mind.

Thanks. :)

/mod hat off

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well yes, you are rude and you are sorry. Maybe it's too much to ask, but you should really use the "big boy" voice when sitting at the grown-ups table ...

I'm spewing nothing, just stating opinions and positing about solutions as the original poster solicited. You're the won spewing the petty, vituperative comments.

Add something constructuctive or at least have the courtesy not to harass the people that are trying to ...

Help me!!! I'm in a time warp... I was just reading on DCP and all of a sudden I was mysteriously transported back to RAMD!!! Have.. to ... reach.... the ....Favorites .... tab. It's my.....only.... chance...... to ......escape.

You guys are silly. Stop calling each other names. It's friggin' drum corps. It started out as marching bands that couldn't afford real instruments. It's evolved before. If it evolves out of DCI for lack of money or interest, then so be it. There are still people out there that think it hasn't meant anything since the VFW Championships stopped being the big one.

Plus... you guys (each other) aren't the enemy. You all like the same activity. Go beat up some college football coach who's really screwing up a good activity!!!

gotta go... bye. :)

Help me!!! I'm in a time warp... I was just reading on DCP and all of a sudden I was mysteriously transported back to RAMD!!! Have.. to ... reach.... the ....Favorites .... tab. It's my.....only.... chance...... to ......escape.

You guys are silly. Stop calling each other names. It's friggin' drum corps. It started out as marching bands that couldn't afford real instruments. It's evolved before. If it evolves out of DCI for lack of money or interest, then so be it. There are still people out there that think it hasn't meant anything since the VFW Championships stopped being the big one.

Plus... you guys (each other) aren't the enemy. You all like the same activity. Go beat up some college football coach who's really screwing up a good activity!!!

gotta go... bye. :)

:P Ohh, I could think of some RAMD people who would have some ideas... ^0^ :P

Just read the O.P. and sounds like my prediction for DCIs future. Instead of two corps sharing the food truck there would be 2 or 3 sets of corps traveling together to save on costs. This also would save on the logisital nightmare of each corps setting up their own travel plans. Half way thru the season there would be a big regional where all the corps compete. Then the corps get "shuffled" into new sets.

Just read the O.P. and sounds like my prediction for DCIs future. Instead of two corps sharing the food truck there would be 2 or 3 sets of corps traveling together to save on costs. This also would save on the logisital nightmare of each corps setting up their own travel plans. Half way thru the season there would be a big regional where all the corps compete. Then the corps get "shuffled" into new sets.

I like this idea in theory -- I had posited a similar idea a while back in a similar thread.

But after reading some of the other posts in this thread, my question is this -- how exactly would this arrangement save on costs? You'd still need the same amount of bussses and trucks (and fuel!!). Maybe you could save on food a little with greater economies of scale and less waste. You might need less (but bigger!) schools to house, although practice field time could be a problem.

I'm not criticizing this idea as, like I said, I had thought of it myself in the past -- just trying to flush it out a little bit to see if there's something to this :)

(btw -- I do think that corps should work together more on travel logistics as you say and other things -- there's GOT to be a lot of double-effort going on out there that could be reduced with just a little cooperation ....)

Edited by Liam

The problem with this is that corps still need the same amount of things travelling with them. To continually keep enough food around for twice as many people you need twice as much storage space, and from the little I've seen of the inside of a food truck it seems like they keep them packed pretty tight as it is.

Same goes for equipment trucks, busses, vans, etc. Combine that with the logistics of finding schools big enough for SIX rehearsal fields and are you really saving enough money to justify the logistical nightmares involved?

The problem with this is that corps still need the same amount of things travelling with them. To continually keep enough food around for twice as many people you need twice as much storage space, and from the little I've seen of the inside of a food truck it seems like they keep them packed pretty tight as it is.

Same goes for equipment trucks, busses, vans, etc. Combine that with the logistics of finding schools big enough for SIX rehearsal fields and are you really saving enough money to justify the logistical nightmares involved?

Savings I can think of (and have no idea how much that would be) is ye olde buying things and services in volume. Instead of individual corps buying smaller food and equipment trucks, bigger vehicles could be used which would be cheaper in gas and maintenance per amount of crap hauled. (That is if corps aren't already used the biggest trucks allowed by law.) The vehicles would be purchased/rented and controlled by DCI and the corps would pay a usage or rental fee. DCI would also set up the buses and corps would reimburse DCI for their costs.

Also thinking might be easier for DCI to get sponsorship money instead of individual corps. Thinking "Hauling young people for thousands of miles for weeks at a time. DCI trusts Greyhound to do it and do it safely" on print ads.

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Haven't read the whole thread but we may not be too far away from seeing a 'nike' or some other corporate sponsor's logo on someone's uniform.

Although consolidation seems to work in theory, it's just not practical without throwing in the logistics of seperate corps at seperate shows. Unless as a previous poster mentioned, the same corps do the same tour, but even that would be self defeating if the 'name' corps wasn't coming to your town.

This is part of the growing pains of evolution.

I know that this is a tired argument but what did the corps in the seventies do? Limit touring to regional areas, have regional championships that mean something, limit the size of pits and props to cut down on the need for a tractor trailer instead of a large box truck, maybe put the finals in the middle of the country, stop spending money on new uniforms every year, and some other things that I can go on about.

Let me be clear, I do not want DC to stay as it was in nineteen tickety-two. The above was only a comparison of how it used to work. And there were still problems. By the same token, I don't want to see it disappear or end up as a super elitest activity where only those who can get a corporate sponsor or draw in the affluent can survive.

I just don't think that there is an easy answer, so in the mean time, send your favorite corp(s) some gas cards!

Haven't read the whole thread but we may not be too far away from seeing a 'nike' or some other corporate sponsor's logo on someone's uniform.

I don't disagree ... and I don't think that would be such a bad thing PROVIDED THAT this sponsorship money is used to shore up the activity we already have and not immediately used for more -- more instrumentation, more props, more uniforms, more equipment, more instructors, etc, etc, etc. I don't want to just raise the spending of the top corps thru sponsorship, leaving the have-nots even farther behind.

Otherwise, a nike swoop or other doesn't bother me a bit if that's what it takes to grow the (entire) activity :)

Been done before... :P Steel City Ambassadors (Sr corps from Pittsburgh, PA) had the Wendys patch on their unis for a few years.