Did Narration cost Cadets the 2007 Championship?

Cadets Narration  

407 members have voted

1. 1. .

• Yes
    • No

Fun fact:

Using Hopkins own words from a "Live Wire" interview here on DCP, he admitted that its now en vogue points-wise to be rewarded for "performance" v. "attempt".

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...amp;hl=livewire

Question (partial): On your blog earlier in the year, you lamented the fact that these are

different times than those of the shows of 1992, 1993, 1997 and

2000...insomuch that you felt that doing a show of that difficulty

wouldn't be rewarded by the judging community today.

Answer (snipped): I am not sure of the time frame of the post in the blog, but, I would

say that in the past, there was more attention to "the what". The "how"

was forgiven from time to time. Let's say there was a higher threshold

of pain.

In recent years, and this is not the first time, performance became

king. Play well, march well, and spin well ... and you will score. As

for what you attempted, it would appear that this was not as important.

There's at least a partial answer, folks, from someone who would know.

There's no dig against BD or the Cadets with this, but I think if you look at things from the perspective of the above, perhaps it helps to shed some light on things. :)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it was simple home court advantage

Yeah yeah....just like the other ELEVEN wins...NONE of which was on the west side of the Continental Divide???

By that logic, Spirit should've won in 84, and Scouts in any year finals were held in Madison.

Yeah yeah....just like the other ELEVEN wins...NONE of which was on the west side of the Continental Divide???

By that logic, Spirit should've won in 84, and Scouts in any year finals were held in Madison.

I don't believe in home court advantage in drum corps, but if it existed it doesn't mean that the home court corps always wins, it just gives them a slight edge.

If home court/field advantage was that absolute there would never be a need to play any sport.

Its just that if the scores are that close...its very easy to move a tenth of a point here and there because "hey its their home field." Im not saying its the only reason and Im not putting down BD or SCV for their performance. They were both great. It's just funny how things worked out.

Edited by marchinalong8

Its just that if the scores are that close...its very easy to move a tenth of a point here and there because "hey its their home field." Im not saying its the only reason and Im not putting down BD or SCV for their performance. They were both great. It's just funny how things worked out.

How 'bout because they were better ??

~G~