Exactly.

Not sure about the "way too smart" part, though. LOL

Time marches on, as the saying goes. What went on back then makes for some entertaining "war stories" today, for sure, with friends made through the years!!!

LOL - back in the RCA days Westshoremen had a saying about "Walking on water.... #### floats" directed at one of our rivals (guess which one :silly: ). Few years back one of the Lancer snares was talking about it and I said I owed him an apology as I threw out my t-shirt with that saying..... He didn't realize I was with Westshore then and we had a good laugh over it. Funny that I was able to hear some of the war stories from the other side.

Day I joined Lancers the BusMang (who never did corps) introduced me and said I marched with Westshore BITD. I held my music in front of my face like I was hiding and someone made a joke about "..a step up.." or something like that. My mom thought it was funnt that I joined "Didn't you have dirty songs about them?". (yes)...

Edited by JimF-LowBari

frank i guess you don't know me. i am a ball buster. i'm just kidding with fran and he knows it. take what i say with a grain of salt.

Absolutely.... Don, we are always bustin' on each other. No harm, no foul!!!

frank i guess you don't know me. i am a ball buster. i'm just kidding with fran and he knows it. take what i say with a grain of salt.

Don,

Your BB reputation is well-earned, I understand. I hold such talents in high regard.

Salt notwithstanding, if one wishes to up one's skill level, it's advisable to engage in the activity in question with one's betters. That's why I come here, to learn from the likes of better busters than I. (I mean, check Glenn's little zinger about Cuba, above. That's some squeeze, man.)

Edited by ironlips
  • Like 1

Don,

I'm betting yer not getting the mail today unless yer golf cart got an electric blanket over it.

And I can see Cuba from my house............................. :tounge2:

glen it's 12:30 pm and it's 47 degrees. it went down to 39 last night. needless to say i am not going to get on my golf cart to get the mail. i told bonnie to pick it up on the way home. it's way to cold to go out today. i can't take this. ya know what i mean. these people with their arctic vortex need to keep it up north. can ya dig it my friend? :help:

Edited by donincardona

Don,

Your BB reputation is well-earned, I understand. I hold such talents in high regard.

Salt notwithstanding, if one wishes to up one's skill level, it's advisable to engage in the activity in question with one's betters. That's why I come here, to learn from the likes of better busters than I. (I mean, check Glenn's little zinger about Cuba, above. That's some squeeze, man.)

yeah we have a lot of fun here. i guess on this thread i'm the leader of the band..........LOL.

Don,

Think it was last week they were showing best of SNL and Tina Fey doing the Sarah Palin "I can see Russia from my house" thing. Just a different take here.

I had a place on Tampa Bay with a sea wall and friends over asked what's that way across the water and somebody remarked "That's Cuba Man". Funny stuff...........

Think it was last week they were showing best of SNL and Tina Fey doing the Sarah Palin "I can see Russia from my house" thing. Just a different take here.

I had a place on Tampa Bay with a sea wall and friends over asked what's that way across the water and somebody remarked "That's Cuba Man". Funny stuff...........

cuba is 120 miles from me. if i go up in a helicopter above my house..........I CAN SEE IT!!! funny...........

now it's 54 degrees. still to cold.

Ray, I'll respectfully disagree with you on this one.

When I joined Sun in 1977, I was literally afraid of some of the people in the corps. LOL. And I came over from the Manville Crusaders, which was basically a collection of crazy people staying one step ahead of the sheriff, and/or one more transgression away from reform school. So... I was used to a level of absolute depravity... but nothing quite compared to Sun.

Sun, when I joined, had guys like Bill O'Brien.... Fred Stone... etc., etc,. Tough, scary dudes. And guys like Vinnie Conlon, Marty Roche, etc. were never ones to back down from a confrontation when needed.

I've said before that if you look up "Long Island" and "The Bronx" in the dictionary, there will be pictures of Vinnie and Marty accompanying the descriptions. LOL

And don't even get me started on the women in the guard, who were as tough as nails.

We needed every one of those people in 1977 and 1978, when one corps was consistently trying to throw us off our game with the (at least implied, if not outright) threat of physical confrontation. Our guys... and gals... never backed away. After all... most of the corps' members hailed from NYC, Long Island and NJ. Not exactly a collection of Poindexters. :tongue: More of a lunatic asylum than "milk and cookies"... by a long shot.

Interesting that now... many years later... heck, even during those years.... a number of folks from that "other" corps are among my best friends in the activity, and we now laugh about the stories from back in the day!!! As it should be. Life's too short.

You and I will respectfully disagree on the folks you named. And when I say respect I hope you accept that my respect for you is unqualified and boundless. I think they may have seemed scarier to a young guy from Manville than to say a recently returned veteran. Some of the folks you mentioned were probably more dangerous to themselves, in my not nearly humble enough opinion.

China was dangerous, although not scary. He cared so deeply that he might have been capable of hurting or killing someone that threatened something or someone he cared about. I always thought Andy Hammer-Hands Gargano was a genuinely tough guy. I agree that Wobbles was potentially a scary dude, but way too layed back to really scare people - sort of like China.

Now where we absolutely agree is the guard chicks - some of them were really tough guys. Rosey was like 4' tall and scarier than her husband. Jackie T became a black belt in a Phillipino Martial Arts that uses knives. She once spit at Butch Anderson (Philadelphia the day after '76 DCI) and we barely got out of a fight with Sky while we were going out to the field to perform. We had some tough chicks.

You and I will continue to go forward with differing opinions about the guys in the corps. Some of them grew up to be tougher, but at the time they were like you - 16 years old or so.

glen it's 12:30 pm and it's 47 degrees. it went down to 39 last night. needless to say i am not going to get on my golf cart to get the mail. i told bonnie to pick it up on the way home. it's way to cold to go out today. i can't take this. ya know what i mean. these people with their arctic vortex need to keep it up north. can ya dig it my friend? :help:

wah. LOL