Pete consulted with the Freelancers and Sunrisers in the '80s and has been tour managing the Blue Devils since late in that decade.

He has had some acting credits in the interim, on stage and TV.

Last weekend, he was inducted into the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame.

Ah man...

It took until NOW?

Oh well... glad he's in. Did he attend?

Ironlips: I didn't know about the "Indians"!

The Ten Little Indians color guard is mentioned in Podcast 046: Casper Troopers History of Drum Corps. Taken from an article in the Casper Morning Star back in 1957, while Jim Jones was recruiting to put the corps together.

Edited by gsksun4

Unless Gaelic Park counts as Off-Broadway...

Troopers at Gaelic Park, Bronx, late 60's. It's dark on the street. I get there late, park on said street and walk toward the stadium entrance. All of a sudden, there it is, that famous truck with the "Circle the Wagons" cowboys and Indians painting on the side, with equipment scattered all over the sidewalk, curb, and what little grass there was to be found.

Back of the truck was wide open and not a cowboy hat with a body under it in site. I look around, see all this potential pawn shop material just sitting there, with some locals planning their swoop.

Finally, a few very naive Trooper teens come back by the truck, laughing and having a good old time. I motion to what looks like the oldest of the group, take him aside and give him a quick education on how long it would take for your corps to be without instruments, or truck. As surprised as he was, and with a brief look of shock, he instructed the others to go get the guy responsible for their equipment and thanked me.

Now, while never being a member of the Boy Scouts, I'd sure like to think that was my good deed for the day.

• Like 2

I'm guessing street crime in Casper WY wasn't a big issue in the 60s.

• Like 1

That's a great story about the equipment truck.

I was attending Manhattan College at the time and living in an apartment on Greystone Avenue, overlooking Gaelic Park.

A certain young lady and I watched most of the show from there. She wanted to see the Troopers "up close" (which may have been a euphemism for "you'e getting a bit too familiar"), so we walked down the hill and up to the roof of Manhattan's Engineering Building, directly across the street on the 50, and elevated higher than the GE box.

It was 1968 and they were playing "Up, Up and Away" for concert. All the planets were aligned and It couldn't have been better.

• Like 1

That's a great story about the equipment truck.

I was attending Manhattan College at the time and living in an apartment on Greystone Avenue, overlooking Gaelic Park.

A certain young lady and I watched most of the show from there. She wanted to see the Troopers "up close" (which may have been a euphemism for "you'e getting a bit too familiar"), so we walked down the hill and up to the roof of Manhattan's Engineering Building, directly across the street on the 50, and elevated higher than the GE box.

It was 1968 and they were playing "Up, Up and Away" for concert. All the planets were aligned and It couldn't have been better.

If there's every a sitcom (or dramedy - haven't figured that out - I think it's a show you have to take dramamine to watch) that's a "That 70s Show" about Drum Corps in the 60s, that scene is definitely going in...

Now we have to cast the roles of Frank and "a certain young lady"...

If you were a little more specific the casting would be easier...

We can get Justin Bieber to play Frank, but who for the young lady?

Miley?

Edited by rayfallon
  • Like 1

Naahhh ... we need New Yawk people ... born in Queens ... my vote would be Christopher Walken (with a lot of makeup) to play the immature (let's see ... he was all of 20 in 1968) and Drea de Matteo (of Sopranos fame - get the link?) ... as the chic he was wooing that evening ... picture a scene from SNL where Frank (Chris) is offering the damsel (let's call her Sharon) in distress "champagahny" ... all the while Sharon (Drea) is insisting they go down to the field saying "I NEED MORE COWBELL!!!!" ... Martin Scorsese (also from Queens) could direct ...

:-)

Edited by ajlisko

Andy, you missed your calling.

You should'a been a Hollywood director.

I don't have a clue who would be appropriate to play yours truly. Bieber might play my left leg, I suppose.

The chick, well she looked like Angie Dickinson back then (still does, actually), but I don't think they make them like that anymore.

Edited by ironlips

Sunrisers completed that night in Gaelic Park in the senior division the following night Saturday we completed in Pittsburg ,What a long ride that was route 80 was not complete in thoses days .Their was also an Asian corps from the Midwest ,there uniform where purple and gold NeeSee Ambassadors