Well Bucbari.

I could add a Award for Oddest Happening in a Parade. (interesting day to bring this up.)

This was in Jessup, Pennsylvania. (June or July)

I was in NYC Skyliners. Doing a parade. When the local POLICE came and took me out to Call HOME.

Now as use to be said by a famous news person. "The Rest of the Story" On Friday the 13th of Feb. 1976. I was shot in the line of duty by an Armed robber. I was out from work for a Long time. It was Point blank to the chest. It was very hard to clear up body fluids. They finally took the bullet out from my back. Well, anyway. I checked with the Disability people. They said I could March, but be Careful. (Marching counted as "THERAPY). So I did. I always road on the Equipment truck. I had promised I would call when we arrived. But, I did not call home to wife. (remember no one had Cell phones back then) What to do. Wife called the town police to see if they could help her. Check on a wounded Brother. Who knew they would come up to the Flag Line and take me out to call her. Always wondered what the people along the Parade route thought. Maybe it was just added to the "Bad AZZ Guys", from NYC. Little did they know it was a Brother Cop thing.

Edited by 2B or not 2B
  • Like 1

Like 2B, I dug the "Puerto Rican Day" parade.

Unlike the others, on that route people literally danced in the streets. What a party!

True - but during the 60s, when the "white" culture was a little bit more reserved (i.e. stick up our butts) the color guard girls ended up with very bright very red faces.

"Hey Chicas! You like me? You know what I got here for you? You gonna like it!" etc. etc. etc. all of 35 blocks of 5th Avenue.

Well Bucbari.

I could add a Award for Oddest Happening in a Parade. (interesting day to bring this up.)

This was in Jessup, Pennsylvania. (June or July)

I was in NYC Skyliners. Doing a parade. When the local POLICE came and took me out to Call HOME.

Now as use to be said by a famous news person. "The Rest of the Story" On Friday the 13th of Feb. 1976. I was shot in the line of duty by an Armed robber. I was out from work for a Long time. It was Point blank to the chest. It was very hard to clear up body fluids. They finally took the bullet out from my back. Well, anyway. I checked with the Disability people. They said I could March, but be Careful. (Marching counted as "THERAPY). So I did. I always road on the Equipment truck. I had promised I would call when we arrived. But, I did not call home to wife. (remember no one had Cell phones back then) What to do. Wife called the town police to see if they could help her. Check on a wounded Brother. Who knew they would come up to the Flag Line and take me out to call her. Always wondered what the people along the Parade route thought. Maybe it was just added to the "Bad AZZ Guys", from NYC. Little did they know it was a Brother Cop thing.

Is there a book of your life coming out any time soon? Please let me know when it gets to paperback. I also need to get you together with Mike Hart, former Sunriser (in his heart he'll always be a Sunriser, as well as an Airborne Ranger) who got 3 Purple Hearts in the Big One - no, not WWII, Viet Nam.

I'm going to go way out on the limb that the two of you could swap some amazing stories, that many of the rest of us would listen to with rapt awe.

Glad you made it okay. We've lost enough of our generation.

• Like 2

"..a Brother Cop thing."

What a story!

I'm thinking/feeling the same way - amazing.

• Like 2

Well if you want to get going on parades...well..nothing topped the parade in Bridgeport for the Barnum. Why did it seem that that went on forever? I have can still hear Nicko hollering "NUMBERS!!! NUMBERS!!". He would step out of line and point to some nice 16 year old.

And please don't ask about the Gin and tonics prior to the Wildwood parade. What was a corps from Reading doing in Wildwood? I donnnnn't know.

Yeah but most parades all you dealt with was horse ####. At the Barnum they also had elephants.

Ewwwwwww....

Have to throw that white buck away I think.

• Like 1

Brace yourself Ray......your car is about to dissapear...........again!

Well if you want to get going on parades...well..nothing topped the parade in Bridgeport for the Barnum. Why did it seem that that went on forever? I have can still hear Nicko hollering "NUMBERS!!! NUMBERS!!". He would step out of line and point to some nice 16 year old.

And please don't ask about the Gin and tonics prior to the Wildwood parade. What was a corps from Reading doing in Wildwood? I donnnnn't know.

I agree George.... The Bridgeport parade was "different".... WAY too many Drum Corps fans that knew when a (Sr) Corps stopped near them to get them to play offering open coolers was one good way to hear them play a tune or two...

True story, B'Port parade mid 80's. We (Sun) stepped off and I gave a roll off..... I heard the Drum Line, Sops and mid-range. NO lower brass.... Looked back and all of them had their arm through the tubing with an adult beverage in one hand and a hot dog (or something to eat, though a couple had a second beverage) in the other hand.

I learned to LOOK BACK before a roll off! :shutup:

No #### - my shoulders hurt like a ########...

I feel like I've been digging out since I got back from PR.

I hope no one in Boston finds out that ll this snow is because I missed a couple of winters in Texas and God is trying to make sure I pay for it.

They'll be ######.

Brace yourself Ray......your car is about to dissapear...........again!

It has begun...

In from the pre-shovel shoveling...