Info on Harvey from the Hurricanes Hall of Fame.....

Olderman, Harvey *

Harvey Olderman, the “Captain of the Hurricanes,” was a charter member of the John H Collins Post Fife Drum and Bugle Corps in 1932. He played a fife in the early years and eventually switched to the color guard in the early 50’s. He was soon elevated to the position of Color Guard Sergeant of the Hurcs in 1955.

Harvey, the dapper haberdasher and true gentleman that he was, was the popular figurehead of the Hurricanes. His charismatic demeanor and presence made him a fan favorite as he led the Hurricanes onto the field past his 89th birthday! He was a true ambassador of the drum corps activity for all those years, and was recognized as such, being honored as one of the six charter members of the World Drum Corps Hall of Fame in 1976.

Harvey passed away following the 1985 season, at age 89, and remains the longest tenured member in the history of the Hurricane organization. He marched for 54 consecutive years, with a distinction, along with George Biancarelli, of having been a part of every championship achieved by the Corps.

He wasn't the only one that 1985 season finished...

man that was a tough year...

welcome back Tom.....I hope all is well and for Fran, will I see you in Wildwood? You can't miss me....the short guy under the mushroom in the middle of the field

Guido

Lordy no... I'm weeks away from a drive like that - and my Gulfstream is busy that weekend

Know I'm a bunch of pages late but re-found this while Kris is in NC for the nieces HS graduation (while the cats away, etc). It's the clip of Buccs from the 1977 PBS(?) highlights show of DCA Finals. Mostly George Parks back but mace starts around 4:00 and mace toss around 4:57. Too bad I didn't have this when we were wondering when he started DM'ing as I had no idea what he was doing then (was kinda busy between DCA and RCA).

Lordy no... I'm weeks away from a drive like that - and my Gulfstream is busy that weekend

JetBlue Airways (Winner of the JD Power Award for the past 9 consecutive years; with 36 channels of Direct TV; award winning complimentary snack service; and more leg-room that any domestic coach seat) can fly you to Philadelphia as of last week.

Beats having to dust off the Gulfstream for a short trip like this.

Just sayin'..

JetBlue Airways (Winner of the JD Power Award for the past 9 consecutive years; with 36 channels of Direct TV; award winning complimentary snack service; and more leg-room that any domestic coach seat) can fly you to Philadelphia as of last week.

Beats having to dust off the Gulfstream for a short trip like this.

Just sayin'..

lol

yeah right... day at a time old friend, day at a time

for Fran, will I see you in Wildwood?

Yes, you will! Safe travels, Jim.

Are you playing the Anthem Saturday?

lol

yeah right... day at a time old friend, day at a time

You'll be at full speed in no time.

One thing about us drum corps dinosaurs - you needed to be tough to survive...

Yes, you will! Safe travels, Jim.

Are you playing the Anthem Saturday?

Are they doing the Italian National Anthem in Wildwood?

Cool...

Joe Guido will nail it. He can play it on the trumpet and sing the words at the same time.