in spite of the abuse about gullability (do have some seagulls here, tho) and being vertically challenged, I axe: has anyone mentioned his position as Il capo di tutti capi of the Buglers Hall of Fame???? Can anyone spell his name?????? Can he leap tall buildings in a single bound???? Does he leap short out buildings in a bound??????

Guido :devil:

in spite of the abuse about gullability (do have some seagulls here, tho) and being vertically challenged, I axe: has anyone mentioned his position as Il capo di tutti capi of the Buglers Hall of Fame???? Can anyone spell his name?????? Can he leap tall buildings in a single bound???? Does he leap short out buildings in a bound??????

Guido :devil:/>

Sir Shortness ... how nice of you to grace (or grass) us with your presence (or presents) ... yes, he is the Grand Poobah of the BHOF ... he and his three sons played at the I&E show in Bpt ... after announcing Grass, I introduced his sons as Grass Jr, Little Grass and Crab Grass ... he was also Director of the Skyliners in 1974, and then again from 78-80 ... as far as the jumping over tall buildings in a single bound, hmmmm ... I don't think so ... and if you clear your throat properly, you'll probably utter his last name correctly ...

:w00t:

Guido :devil:/>

Don't all buildings, up to and including out houses, look sort of tall to you?

Which also made a really nice t-shirt that several Reilly Sops wear on a regular basis...thumbup.gif

Caption under the photo on that shirt is "Got Grass?"

*edited fer spellin'*

that shirt was a while ago -

Now most Alumni Corps have shirts something like...

"Got Depends?"

just sayin'...

Edited by rayfallon

"Got Depends?"

just sayin'...

Too funny ... I ran a fundraiser for Sky's Alumni once for a DCA Weekend package ... room, tickets for everything and some travel $$$ ... that was 2nd Prize ... 1st Prize was a 30 pack of "felxible fit" Depends ... needless to say, tickets sold like crazy ... and the winner was Timmy Boardman - who quickly dispensed all of them to grateful recipients who wore them over their clothes/unis ... made for an interesting warmup sight for some of the Alumni Corps members who contributed ... luckily, none were left on the field ...

:lookaround:

"Got Depends?"

just sayin'...

I hear ya... So far, it looks like the size of the shirts is all that's changed these days. shutup.gif

OK folks, to get back on track here with #489.

All sorts of hints laid out there for the first guy on the right. I'm guessing that Don is the only one who doesn't recognize Johnny "Grass" Urspruch who was a member of the USAF Academy corps before he came to the Skyliners way back when. The academy is also where he attained his nickname of "Grass" for some reason or other. LOL.

The second guy is better known as a Contra Bass player with Yankee Rebels competing corps ( I'm not certain of his junior corps affiliations ). After them, he played with more than a couple of different alumni corps. Sadly, he was taken from all of us WAY too soon and is missed very much. Always had a smile on his face and a story to tell.

Have at it!

• Like 1

All sorts of hints laid out there for the first guy on the right. I'm guessing that Don is the only one who doesn't recognize Johnny "Grass" Urspruch who was a member of the USAF Academy corps before he came to the Skyliners way back when. The academy is also where he attained his nickname of "Grass" for some reason or other. LOL.

The second guy is better known as a Contra Bass player with Yankee Rebels competing corps ( I'm not certain of his junior corps affiliations ). After them, he played with more than a couple of different alumni corps. Sadly, he was taken from all of us WAY too soon and is missed very much. Always had a smile on his face and a story to tell.

Have at it!

I always think of #2 as a baritone with Archer Epler, both the Alumni Corps and the 80s competitive DCA corps, with a fabulous wife Terri who marched baritone as well, and two terrific daughters Ronnie and Angela. Funny funny guy who rigged a swiveling can holder to attach to a baritone horn (it was meant for a boat) so that the baris could have a beer while rehearsing. Archie in 1981 was not for little kids.

• Like 2

I always think of #2 as a baritone with Archer Epler, both the Alumni Corps and the 80s competitive DCA corps, with a fabulous wife Terri who marched baritone as well, and two terrific daughters Ronnie and Angela. Funny funny guy who rigged a swiveling can holder to attach to a baritone horn (it was meant for a boat) so that the baris could have a beer while rehearsing. Archie in 1981 was not for little kids.

one helluva guy

Have at it!

ah ha. so that's johnny grass. i knew of him but i didn't know him.