It would be great if (in addition to being a venue for the young players in the various areas the shows are run) the I&E Andy Talk-fests became little mini reunions to an even greater degree.

I once asked for a wireless mic and a TV feed into the bar area of the Garfield Post ... that way I could announce, imbibe and do "up and close" interviews with dc personalities ... they're still workin' on that one ...

:-)

• Like 1

I once asked for a wireless mic and a TV feed into the bar area of the Garfield Post ... that way I could announce, imbibe and do "up and close" interviews with dc personalities ... they're still workin' on that one ...

Ain't technology worderful.... if set up right... I'm scheduled for class next week and lab work will be done via the Internet. Just found out my work laptop will not access the website because of security settings (whaaaaaat?) and the loaner laptop doesn't have some of the needed software loaded.

Answer is.... bring your home laptop and use the buildings WiFi. Nice they assume we have that.... Yeah we do but bought it to watch DCA Weekend last year..... How Drum Corps helps me with my job.... :wall:

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Answer is.... bring your home laptop and use the buildings WiFi. ...

That's a great idea ... but, we're talking about a Legion Post here ... I don't think the new mimeograph machine they bought at a tag sale recently has WiFi ...

:whistle:

• Like 1

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Heh... in a way, it reminds me of the first year or two that the DCA championship was held in Scranton, early 1990s.

For at least that first year, apparently you could walk into the sports bar/restaurant that was attached to the stadium, and watch the DCA show without paying to get into the stadium.

A person I know found that out when he came up to see the show... Prelims, I think it was. The bar was facing the field.... and the audio of the show was on the restaurant's speaker system!!! So he sat there... had lunch, a beverage or two... and watched drum corps, free of charge. LOL

That's a great idea ... but, we're talking about a Legion Post here ... I don't think the new mimeograph machine they bought at a tag sale recently has WiFi ...

:whistle:

But there is plenty of blue ink in the 5 gallon bottles in the back room......

But there is plenty of blue ink in the 5 gallon bottles in the back room......

Hmmm ... that's what they use for those Hawaiian drinks ... THEY SMELL BETTER THAN THEY TASTE!!!!

• Like 1

"Out of the Spotlight Part Deux":

I went to school with "Murph" and another girl named Barbara Voytek. They were already in the corps and talked me into joining. When the corps originally "Split" (Turf battle between the Parish and director) I on stayed on until Joe Genero was hired by the Lancers.

Not many people know that he also had written a couple of numbers for St Ann's much earlier, and I thought that having him for an instructor would be great. He was followed by Hy Drietzer after the 1964 season.

The "Loyalaires" name for the corps came (I believe) from the kids who stayed after the big blow up. John Donovan is one of the nicest people I have ever known, and it was nice seeing him, if only briefly at PCP.

I believe St Raphael's Buccaneers went through a big turnover/blow up after the 1960 season when their director was fired by the Parish. He left and started the Fire Department corps the "Scarlet Knights" (aka "Fireballs") and a big bunch of their older kids went to the Hurricanes.

Elphaba

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Heh... in a way, it reminds me of the first year or two that the DCA championship was held in Scranton, early 1990s.

For at least that first year, apparently you could walk into the sports bar/restaurant that was attached to the stadium, and watch the DCA show without paying to get into the stadium.

A person I know found that out when he came up to see the show... Prelims, I think it was. The bar was facing the field.... and the audio of the show was on the restaurant's speaker system!!! So he sat there... had lunch, a beverage or two... and watched drum corps, free of charge. LOL

and he was judging GE Marching!

Hmmm ... that's what they use for those Hawaiian drinks ... THEY SMELL BETTER THAN THEY TASTE!!!!

Geez, I should never look at the internet without my glasses - I could swear you wrote

Hmmm... that's what they used to say about those Hawaiian girls... THEY SMELL BETTER THAN THEY TASTE!!!

I was wicked concerned... this is a PG13 forum.

The Queen expects certain fairly rigid standards to be upheld.

Forget a lifetime ban - more like "off with his head!"

"Out of the Spotlight Part Deux":

I went to school with "Murph" and another girl named Barbara Voytek. They were already in the corps and talked me into joining. When the corps originally "Split" (Turf battle between the Parish and director) I on stayed on until Joe Genero was hired by the Lancers.

Not many people know that he also had written a couple of numbers for St Ann's much earlier, and I thought that having him for an instructor would be great. He was followed by Hy Drietzer after the 1964 season.

The "Loyalaires" name for the corps came (I believe) from the kids who stayed after the big blow up. John Donovan is one of the nicest people I have ever known, and it was nice seeing him, if only briefly at PCP.

I believe St Raphael's Buccaneers went through a big turnover/blow up after the 1960 season when their director was fired by the Parish. He left and started the Fire Department corps the "Scarlet Knights" (aka "Fireballs") and a big bunch of their older kids went to the Hurricanes.

Elphaba

Sounds like the stories of so many smaller corps during the 60s.

Long Island was rife with Palace revolts, new directors pushing out old ones, and the old ones relocating (with a bunch of kids) to other area corps.

We in Oceanside were pretty lucky - Roy Johnson ran the corps until his first child was born, sort of a late arrival in Roy's life - at that point, Harvey Husser, who had about 6 kids in the corps over the years, took over and stayed in charge long past my departure for the USAF in 1969.

But man we went through instructors, at least bugle instructors.

The Palace Revolts there centered around the perennial percussion (and marching) instructor Ralph Parkhill, kind of a LI Legend.

He taught some amazing drummers and percussionists, including Jack Murray, and idolized the Big Red Machine, although I think his only experience was with the pre-Sasso Sunrisers.

But brass guys would come and go, and Ralph would stay.

We had Bill Gallagher (Viet Nam took Bill away); Ted Sasso; Ernie Fesler; Bob Bunce, Hy Dreitzer; Me (don't ask - I was like 16); eventually Tom (Bunyon McCarthy) while I was overseas; and a couple others in between.

That's a lot in 14 years.

I may have hijacked your "Out of the Spotlight"(which I'm enjoying) but you got me thinking (not an easy task - ask Fish, or Andy, or Fran, or...)

I knew very little about CT drum corps until I moved up there in Fall 1978, and even then I had missed the Glory Days.

I knew the Contra player from St Rafaels, although I can't remember his name at this second. I eventually knew Dennis Banks, and some other folks. I knew Bob Wilcox from CT Yankees, and some of the folks from the Seymour Vanguards - I think that's an amazing story - the Hurcs wouldn't accept female players in 1977, even at the point of near extinction, so they taught their (formerly male) color guard to play, and put many very talented brass and percussionists into their guard.

If they had any less talented teacher than Frank Dorritie it could never have worked.

Even as far along as 1982 we were still teaching folks each year that had never played.

Go figger...