Duts

Duts  

319 members have voted

1. 1. Tell us how much duts annoy you, on a scale of one to ten (one being not annoyed at all, ten being outrageously annoyed)

• won
    • too
    • 3hree
    • fore
    • 5ive
    • sixx
    • seaven
    • ate
    • nein
    • tenn

Duts don't really bother me that much anymore, I supposed I've accepted them as a normal sound effect of drum corps. Kinda like a jazz musician counting "1... 2... a-1, 2, 3, 4!" to start out a tune, that's a normal sound effect in jazz. You don't hear counting off or dutting in a symphony orchestra concert, but of course that's not drum corps or jazz.

Rate your annoyance!

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope people can eventually get over the whole dutting thing. I'm sure it would be MUCH MUCH more annoying to hear ensemble tears.

I actually still don't like them. Duts to me are most annoying when an ensemble is pulling out of a soft section. I do think there are more duts than are necessary. I also wonder how GE would be affected if dutting were less obvious. For me, duts often project an upcoming hit or transition, which lessens the effect. Wouldn't it be nice to not always know 4-8 counts ahead of time when something is going to happen?

Disclaimer: duts are not going to make me stop enjoying drum corps. They're just annoying - like mosquitos, or rocks in my shoe. (only I can do something about the mosquitos or rocks.)

Hmm..i guess i'm weird....i rather enjoy them at times....although yes coming out of a slow section is bad, but other times i like it.

They do nothing more than interfere with the music. Its amazing that for years people could march and come in on attacks by doing it in their ......heads..... now I get to here a whole drumline yelling it just prior to an attack. It takes something away for me.

"Duts" are a crutch. Any good line does not "need" to dut. <**>

I judge a lot of bands in the fall and I will not hesitate to tell them if their duts are loud or annoying. Especially on Music Effect, because it can be a HUGE distraction.

Back in the day, each DUT would be worth a tenth of a point for talking on the field. I bet that would disccourage this pratice.

There may be times when it necessary, but they are few...the biggest concern is the volume especially from inexperienced lines with inexperinced staff.

Donny

I don't mind them at all. Corps/bands use them where their staffs think they should use them, so if it helps keep the corps together and not cause tears, fine by me.

I have judged a couple hundred band shows over the years, and I have never made a comment on a 'dut'.

I have used them sparingly with the band I arrange for and teach to accomplish what I said in the first sentence above.

I find it slightly annoying. I mean, nobody else does that. Why does one section get to shout loudly for timing before they play. The 64-80 member hornline spread 30-30 doeesn't. I know the horns listen to the drums for timing occasionally, but I just find it wierd.