Duts

Duts  

319 members have voted

1. 1. Tell us how much duts annoy you, on a scale of one to ten (one being not annoyed at all, ten being outrageously annoyed)

• won
    • too
    • 3hree
    • fore
    • 5ive
    • sixx
    • seaven
    • ate
    • nein
    • tenn

Without duts, attacks just wouldn't be perfect. Ergo, I like them.

You might want to listen to some 80s lines, then...82-83 Bridgemen, 87 Cadets (funny how no line that duts all through the show has matched their perfect score), 83-86 BD, etc....I seem to recall some pretty clean stuff in there with no dutting.

If the hornline's cranking and I can;t hear the dut, fine....but if there's a soft section I don't really wanna hear DUT DUT DUT DUT from the battery....or the same kind of count from the guard.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hate them!!!

Is the guard going, "five, six, seven, eight" to keep their work together? NO!

But, it is not going away. I had been wondering whether DCI judges allowed it or embraced it. Well, I was at a BOA show this fall and one of the most prominent DCI judges was the percussion instructor for the loudest duting band there.

I find it slightly annoying. I mean, nobody else does that. Why does one section get to shout loudly for timing before they play. The 64-80 member hornline spread 30-30 doeesn't. I know the horns listen to the drums for timing occasionally, but I just find it wierd.

Guards often count out loud.

Also, as the drumline is supposed o be the focus for the pulse, it makes sense that they want to be as together as possible. And...if an attack is just a fragment off, it makes a larger clarity difference if it is in the drums than in the horns.

I ignore them as a judge or audience member. They CAN cause issues if not done well...at our last band show where one guard gal was counting out loud to start our third number (never had done so before...or since :laugh: )...and was counting at a different tempo than the DM....caused a HUGE tear at the start of the number. :doh:

I always thought duts sounded kind of cool, and that was before I even marched/knew what they were for, haha. I can appreciate duts now, and definitely think corps of the 80's are pretty BA for not being able to use them at all.

That said, as a person in support of/not annoyed by duts, I agree with everyone who said they should be kept to a minimum during soft sections...kills the mood for me.

To me, duts are fine if they are matched with the ensemble volume. Duts that are way over what the ensemble are doing is insensitive to the moment, and I find that something that *is* "judgeable". Duts are perfectly acceptable if done in context. Go beyond, and it's out of place. Same for guard counts, too.

BTW, I think the bands that dut way-too-loudly are the ones that know they'll get away with it. Just a mention of being out and knocking them a point or two would actually prevent the annoying ones. Kind of like vocals quality in DCI; if someone would actually judge the ###### things, the quality would go waaaay up.

Edited by drumcat

As I said in another thread, do we really need to hear them in the 46th row? I wouldn't have a problem with them if they kept it as an "internal" time keeping device, but we don't need to keep time in the upper deck!

They do nothing more than interfere with the music. Its amazing that for years people could march up and down the 50 yard line and come in on attacks by doing it in their ......heads..... now I get to here a whole drumline yelling it just prior to an attack. It takes something away for me.

Fixed.

To me, duts are fine if they are matched with the ensemble volume. Duts that are way over what the ensemble are doing is insensitive to the moment, and I find that something that *is* "judgeable". Duts are perfectly acceptable if done in context. Go beyond, and it's out of place. Same for guard counts, too.

BTW, I think the bands that dut way-too-loudly are the ones that know they'll get away with it. Just a mention of being out and knocking them a point or two would actually prevent the annoying ones. Kind of like vocals quality in DCI; if someone would actually judge the ###### things, the quality would go waaaay up.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with him, but I agree with him.

Mike

I hope people can eventually get over the whole dutting thing. I'm sure it would be MUCH MUCH more annoying to hear ensemble tears.

Considering that only the drum line "NEEDS" them, I believe it is more a, "we've always done this" than an actual need.

Dhuts = Crutch

RM :sshh:

ampssuck

I find it slightly annoying. I mean, nobody else does that. Why does one section get to shout loudly for timing before they play. The 64-80 member hornline spread 30-30 doeesn't. I know the horns listen to the drums for timing occasionally, but I just find it wierd.

The difference in clarity between a horn attack being 1/32nd off and a snare attack being 1/32nd off is monumental.