The Hardest & Most Difficult Shows

Really????

:drool::drool:

You know, he actually has a point. I dont remember much from academy, since i only saw them once, but there are plenty of corps around the 10-15 range that do harder shows than those in the top 3. They get nowhere near as clean, and the GE isnt there, but i know it happenes.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One problem with discussing difficult shows is that a great corps will make a difficult show seem easy.

Yay! :drool:

Edited by bluublood

You know, he actually has a point. I dont remember much from academy, since i only saw them once, but there are plenty of corps around the 10-15 range that do harder shows than those in the top 3. They get nowhere near as clean, and the GE isnt there, but i know it happenes.

i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you. but is it possible that because they're lower placing corps with.. for lack of a better term.. less talent, they appear harder? if the shows aren't as clean and they lack the necessary GE, how can it be harder than a show that is #### clean and packed full of GE? is it also possible these shows just SO HARD and written so far above the members' heads that no matter how hard they work it will never, ever, be clean?

Yay! :drool:

Copycat :P

i'm not agreeing or disagreeing with either of you. but is it possible that because they're lower placing corps with.. for lack of a better term.. less talent, they appear harder? if the shows aren't as clean and they lack the necessary GE, how can it be harder than a show that is #### clean and packed full of GE? is it also possible these shows just SO HARD and written so far above the members' heads that no matter how hard they work it will never, ever, be clean?

Well, in that vein - if the person that posted about Academy first was trying to say that it should be considered very difficult because the members had problems executing...well, I'm not going there. I agree with the sentiment, but the current state of the activity has some very talented corps doing some incredibly difficult shows at the top of the pile.

To me, simultaneous demand is what really sets the upper-tier apart. The ability to maintain their intensity while moving and playing material that is at the highest level of quality. At least, that's how I picked the groups I selected.

I will say this though, I worked just as hard in div 2/3 as I did in div 1. In fact, in many respects it is sooo much easier to be in a div 1 drum corps. However, I would never claim thatmy div 2/3 shows were harder - just that the members were not as proficient, so they were harder for us.

My head slap was more to the statement that Regiment only played for like 7.5 minutes....

I've only read through about half the thread, so forgive me if I wind up repeating someone's opinion.

I think more in terms of year-by-year when I consider difficulty in a show. After reading through some of the responses I'll agree that over the course of time Cadets wind up with the most difficult shows. We all have been told about George Hopkins' desire for introducing new things. It seems to me every year the Cadets wind up taking on a faster and harder show than the previous year.

As for a single show, I would submit Medea. That was the year you recall someone decided to put a heart monitor on one of Star's tenor players to check heart rate and he wound up in the 180 beats/minute range. If I recall correctly that heart rate equals a marathon runner's. I don't know if the Medea show was the most difficult ever, but it was sure difficult for it's time and advertised the demands on the players pretty well.

of shows I've seen in person:

2007 - Cadets, BD

2006 - nobody really stands out here to me. Cadets or Phantom

2005 - Cadets

2004 - BD

2003 - Cavaliers

2002 - Cavaliers

2001 - Cavaliers visually, BD musically

2000 - Cavaliers, BD

WOW, I'm old! Even the people who "go back a ways" stop at 1990. Were there no difficult shows before that? Of course there were. I'm thinking of the following: [snip]

I know, i know people older than me will go back even further!

That was my reaction as I read through this thread -- no one but you went back prior to 1990.

My list of most difficult shows from 1990 back to 1965 is ...

... ummm ... well dang it all ... I'm so old I can hardly remember any shows from those years!!

:drool:

My head slap was more to the statement that Regiment only played for like 7.5 minutes....

Thats probably an accurate number for their brass (and still on the high end compared to most of the top 5)