Changing Corps

I do however question people who have marched many different corps (like 1 year here, 1 year there, another there, and age out yet another...) I just don't understand that...

You know, if I had it all to do over again, I would seriously consider doing just that...lots of differences between SCV and BD...between each of the midwest corps...between the Cadets (east) and the other top 6! In my day, Star was top dog. Might have been fun to march Star, PR, BD, Scouts, and Cadets. Wouldn't that make stories to tell?

Bluecoats 07 was awesome.

Yes they were! You march there? Hope none of you guys pay any attention to finals results...at least you beat Cavies once! BD, too, for that matter! Pretty big deal, beating everybody in DCI in same season. Good show, too!

Exactly the same way

except wrong blue

haha...smarty pants...they were OK, too!

Switching corps to solely march finals = pathetic.

I've never heard of anybody playing triple-A ball who said, "Gee, I want to make the triple-A All-Star Team or Hall of Fame." D1, or whatever its called now (WC?), is the "Big Show." And three particular corps of that group are the top of the game. I can't blame anybody who would want to march at that level, having been there just once. Finals night was incredible at the level we performed at then...can't imagine what it is like now!

ALWAYS take the opportunity to march at the top ensemble you can. Nobody wants a career at Kansas City if the Yankees come calling!

I once had a young man brag to me that he had marched in five different drum corps in five years.

My only thought was, "how pathetic, that he had such a difficult time finding what he was looking for."

See my comments above...I envy his ability to march 5 years and would LOVE to hear the stories he has to tell!

Maybe a wide variety of experiences is what he was looking for. I hardly find it pathetic, especially since he seemed to be happy with his decisions based on you saying he was bragging about it.

Agreed!

I have never understood why the idea of enjoying an activity for the competitive aspect is frowned upon. It certainly isn't that way with mainstream sports, so why is it with drumcorps?

Bingo! And pro sports, too.

if you or anyone else thinks that the point of drum corps is winning, then i feel very sorry for you.

i'm not saying winning or making finals is bad or w/e

what i'm saying is that winning is nowhere near the top of the main reasons drum corps even exists or should be joined

if you or anybody thinks the point of competition is to place 2nd...or 5th...or last...then you need to <fill in the blank with something snappy that cannot be thought of late at night>. not saying wanting to win should be at or near the top of anybody's list or w/e, but, imho (inserted for PC effect), those of you vilifying those who seek to win need to chill out. if 5th place is acceptable to you, then go get a hot dog after you perform, catch BD and Cavies, then scoot on back for finals retreat! end of discussion.

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Myusik4Jakassez

The Raiders fully support any member trying to make the jump to World Class. But I don't think it would go over well with the other members (not so much the staff) if someone decided to march in a different Open Class corps.

I went to the Raiders open house not knowing anyone at all. I was very nervous. But the staff and vets reached out to me right away, and by the next camp I felt like I belonged there. I plan to stay with the Raiders for another few years before trying World Class, but I would NEVER switch to another Open Class corps. Not after all the Raiders have done for me!

STOP VILIFYING THE DESIRE TO WIN. PEOPLE ARE NOT WRONG OR BAD FOR WANTING TO WIN.

Of course it's vile to desire winning, especially for members of a corps with both the word "vile" and "evil" hidden in its name! :P

Instead of 1-12 it should be 2-13 so people can't complain.

"I march solely for the silver. 2nd or nothin' baby!"

for real. i like to play games... and when i play games i like to win. why play if you dont want to win? Where's the motivation to get better? Winning is relative of course... for the elite, winning is the gold. for some others, winning may be making finals and beating the corps around them. i'm fine with losing (mostly), but i dont think to myself in the beginning of a season "well, it would sure be nice to make a lot of friends and get 6th!" If that happened i'd be ###### for a couple days maybe but the season would still be the same in my memory... that being said though, again, I like to win :)

change corps all you want, its your career and you only get it until you're 21.

Hey Van! :beer:

has anyone switched one year, and then gone back to their original corps the next?

I know someone who marched a Div. 2 corps, went to Cadets for two years (won her rookie year), and then aged out back with the Div. 2 corps. She said she wanted to age out with her family.

I have no problem with people doing what they want regarding moving from corps to corps. Some people like to jump around for the experience, some are ring chasing (and that's not a bad thing) - everyone's got their reasons.

Other people like to stay with one corps because it's like home to them, or they like the style, or they value loyalty over placement, or whatever. I think it's admirable to stick with one corps to help build the program, but if the program is stagnant and that bothers someone enough, they'll move on.

What I don't like is the assumption in some posts that everyone in DC should be in it to win or to move up. Kudos to the hundreds of people who march in "lower tier" and open class corps and never consider any other corps. You never get enough credit for what you do yet you stick with it anyway. That is classy. Thank you!

I have no problem with people doing what they want regarding moving from corps to corps. Some people like to jump around for the experience, some are ring chasing (and that's not a bad thing) - everyone's got their reasons.

Other people like to stay with one corps because it's like home to them, or they like the style, or they value loyalty over placement, or whatever. I think it's admirable to stick with one corps to help build the program, but if the program is stagnant and that bothers someone enough, they'll move on.

What I don't like is the assumption in some posts that everyone in DC should be in it to win or to move up. Kudos to the hundreds of people who march in "lower tier" and open class corps and never consider any other corps. You never get enough credit for what you do yet you stick with it anyway. That is classy. Thank you!

Very well said!

Edited by L1STEN2311