George Hopkins vs. Scott Stewart

Poll  

213 members have voted

1. 1. Whose views do you agree with more, and whose plans would you like to see enacted?

• George Hopkins'
    • Scott Stewart's

Hopkins has it right. Market your best;

HH

Maybe one bone of contention on DCP involves what you said: IS DCI marketing its best?? Is DCI "evolving" in a direction that makes it "your best"? I think that the majority of postings on DCP are in some way tied to this argument. Interesting observation, HH.

• Replies 414
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Though both of their contributions have been invaluable to the activity.

Both represent extreme views from opposite ends of the spectrum.

It is like comparing apples and oranges for lack of a better analogy

...where is Scott Stewart now?

....where is George Hopkins now?

Are you suggesting that Scott Stewart is or has failed and is somewhere being unsuccessful? This is going to end badly. I wish you wouldn't have gone there.

Somehow, I doubt OP expected quite the reaction we have seen thusfar.

just making an observation.

No, you are baiting. Since you have no idea what Scott Stewart is involved in now, you have no basis from which to make an observation. You're just throwing something out there that's a thinly veiled shot at Scott Stewart. I expect that, whatever Scott Stewart is doing, he's making more money and working fewer hours and is happier than ever before. Many would define that as success.

Are you suggesting that Scott Stewart is or has failed and is somewhere being unsuccessful? This is going to end badly. I wish you wouldn't have gone there.

Why not?

As I said previously in this thread, there is nothing to discuss. Stewart couldn't sell his own board on his concepts. Meanwhile Hopkins not only was persuasive in his views but won championships along the way.

That's no aspersion on Stewart as a man or a drum corps leader. There are many reason why he's worthy of our praise.

The question, however, is which version of the visions for drum corps' future is more valid? And one valid answer is Stewart couldn't persuade Madison much less the wider drum corps community to his view and his corps suffered in placement and prestige in the process. Meanwhile, Hopkins built a consensus toward his view and won championships too.

Hopkins succeeded where Stewart failed. It's perfectly legitimate to point out that failure when evaluating the vision behind it.

HH

Edited by glory

Based on their ideas presented in 1997 to the DCI Executive Committee meeting, summarized here, whose views do you agree with more? Whose plans do you think would benefit the activity most?

A couple of questions and observations:

Why pull up 2 presentations on the state of drum coprs circa 1997? Why dredge up a business discussion that is more than 10 years old?

It is old news - the world has changed a lot since then. Not only is it pre-DCP it is almost pre-internet. And, neither presentation got it all right because neither person had an all knowing crystal ball.

And, why make a poll of just those two choices? Aren't there any other leaders that can be added to the list who are currently in the drum corps community and who have ideas, vision and leadership skills to take us the next 10 years?

No, you are baiting. Since you have no idea what Scott Stewart is involved in now, you have no basis from which to make an observation. You're just throwing something out there that's a thinly veiled shot at Scott Stewart. I expect that, whatever Scott Stewart is doing, he's making more money and working fewer hours and is happier than ever before. Many would define that as success.

The observation is that George Hopkins is still director of a top division 1 drum corps while Scott Stewart is not.