They're Not Bugles/So Bring On the Woodwinds

Why not? Because you say so? Maybe there were structural requirements like timing / color presentation /what-have-you that may have changed because of various rules implemented or deleted (DCI was NOT the AL/VFW/etc), but excluding that, what forbade the '74 Kingsmen from choosing tunes from '41 Holy Name? What forbids the 2008 Bluecoats from honoring a great corps by playing music derived from the 1974 Kingsmen?

Arrangements and style of music were very different in 74 from years prior, as were the performance levels. I've only heard recording back to around 1950, but even that 25 years shows that.

Can a corps take the music performed by, say, the 74 Kingmen and do them a la 2007? Sure. In fact, EVERY tune from the 74 Kingsmen show has been done subsequent to 1974...most recently 2007 with Regiment's "Firebird".

So, what you're saying is that drum corps has NOT changed much since 1964? What issue qualifies as "wallowing" that has lingered since 1964?

Ouch, I phrased that badly....drum corps has never wallowed in the past...it honors it and builds on it. My bad on the grammar.

What changes of the last 7 years were built on the prior history?

All of them.

What about drum corps' past is worth building on for the future? What specific aspects (that is, specific to drum corps) are the building blocks of the future? What specific aspects would you cast aside?

Well, IMO everything on the field is built on what came before. From straight bugles to the Bb/f brass of today...from honor guards to the amazing work being done by guards of today....from snares, single tenors, flat basses and cymbals to full percussion of today....evverthing has built on the past.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Once in a while we see in the pro-woodwind discussions that "Drum and Bugle Corps" do not use bugles so it doesn't matter what instruments are used. The argument here is the horns being used have not been bugles since the first valve was added so "Anything Goes" <$1 to Yankee Rebels drum cadence> should be the way to go in corps.

As a member of the Yankee Rebels drum line, we greatfully accept you $1. :ph34r:

Can a corps take the music performed by, say, the 74 Kingmen and do them a la 2007? Sure. In fact, EVERY tune from the 74 Kingsmen show has been done subsequent to 1974...most recently 2007 with Regiment's "Firebird".

Well, I wasn't meaning note for note copies (esp because shows are shorter now), but essentially the same structure, with a few new twists, is what I had in mind. But, if you agree with that idea, then what does the following mean?

Can't a modern day drum corps program its show like the 1974 Anaheim Kingsmen?

No, just as the 1974 Kingsmen could not have programmed their show like the 1941 Holy Name Cadets.

Ouch, I phrased that badly....drum corps has never wallowed in the past...it honors it and builds on it. My bad on the grammar.

OK. I didn't think you meant what you typed there.

Well, IMO everything on the field is built on what came before. From straight bugles to the Bb/f brass of today...from honor guards to the amazing work being done by guards of today....from snares, single tenors, flat basses and cymbals to full percussion of today....evverthing has built on the past.

So, DCI has not made one single mistake, and every decision down the line has been the best that could possibly have been made? And the prospective changes, eg adding electronics and woodwinds, are great ideas too?

What change is too much? Is there something in your mind that could be proposed that you're NOT OK with? What would not honor the past? What if DCI recanted on something, like amplification of voice? Is that OK to you?

Well, I wasn't meaning note for note copies (esp because shows are shorter now), but essentially the same structure, with a few new twists, is what I had in mind. But, if you agree with that idea, then what does the following mean?

No, just as the 1974 Kingsmen could not have programmed their show like the 1941 Holy Name Cadets.

More along the note-for-note kind of thing. Using one of the same pieces? Sure.

So, DCI has not made one single mistake, and every decision down the line has been the best that could possibly have been made? And the prospective changes, eg adding electronics and woodwinds, are great ideas too?

I haven't had any real problem with their decisions over the years. Was every change the best that could ever have been made? I doubt it, but right now nothing earth-shaking comes to mind.

What change is too much? Is there something in your mind that could be proposed that you're NOT OK with? What would not honor the past? What if DCI recanted on something, like amplification of voice? Is that OK to you?

As I have said before, I happen to have faith in those who are charged with making the decisions surrounding what will be done and what will not be legal...be it DCI or DCA. If they chose to not permit amplified voice all of a sudden, I would not particularly like that decision, though I don't care who if anyone in particular actually uses it. But...I would still support the BOD, as IMO they are the ones charged with creating the competitive environment. I'd still support DCI and the corps and attend shows...and not be the least bit unhappy about that part of things.

Side note: the vast majority of feedback that Kingsmen Alumni Corps received, approved of our '74 music AS IS, and would object to it being neutered ala 2007.

I now return you to your regularly-scheduled debate...

Edited by GuyW

And so did the veteran's organizations. They staged contests for marching bands at the state and national levels, just like they did for drum corps. Thing is, like in so many other circuits, the general public showed a preference for drum corps over marching band, expressed in far greater fan attendance and marching membership.

Getting back to MikeD's comment about "relevance" - in the end, it is not MikeD, nor Dale, nor I that decides. The public decides what is relevant. Evidently, the public decided that in the outdoor venues of summer field contests, drum corps was more "relevant" than marching band. Why? I always figured it was because of drum corps' use of instruments designed for the field, thus being more effective there. But this thread raises another possibility. Some people do find history interesting. It is taught in schools; it has a cable channel (several now) devoted to it; museums and landmarks remain tourist attractions - yes, history is a draw in itself. Perhaps the historical connection of drum corps has been part of it's drawing power.

why wouldn't you see a preference for a ensemble made of mature player than to one made of high school kids?

switch it around.

it's the 60's/70's

somehow, marching bands are the independent organizations with members up to 21, and summer tours, and the relentless pursuit of perfection. and drum and bugle corps are the public school funded, 18 and under, less mature ensemble. would people have still preferred the national DBC show over the National MB show?

idk, no one does, cause this is some sort of alternate reality, but interesting.

The addition of woodwinds to drum corps would mark the end of DCI.

I would say a LOT of fans would consider WW the last straw.....thats for sure.

We might as also voice our opinion about adding orangutans and trained seals to shows because they're about as likely to happen as well in the foreseeable future.

We can only hope.......

I say WW will be allowed in the next five years.....ten at the latest

They are already allowed for I & E.......

DCI + WW = My personal line in the sand.

I've been marching and then volunteering for DCI since '92. Once woodwinds are allowed I'm out... and I've been a flute player, professional and otherwise, since '86. Wanna march DCI? Join the pit or learn a brass instrument like every single person before you.

Excellence is pushing the boundaries, not removing them.