Blue Knights

I agree completely.

99, 00, 02, 03, 06, and 07 are all fantastic.

~>conner

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm surprised 03 isn't being mentioned too much in this.

As a BK Alum I want to say thanks though to all the supporters!

true. loved their show this year. great music writing, and i love the driving, aggressive closer. ideal for me, programming-wise....instead of being built around a theme and featuring aspects that bring attention to the cohesive concept, attention was on the performance itself the whole time. innovation was featured in the visual program instead of developments with the rules of dci. they were cutting edge without going against what the activity had previously stood for, and i appreciate that.

Jared, those are my thoughts exactly. Often these are the performances that I enjoy and get the most out of during a season. The past few seasons, it has simply been about the performance itself--not a concept/theme or telling a "story". They are always usually pretty innovative in terms of their choreography program; and I think that adds to their character.

My favorite Blue Knights shows:

1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2006, 2007

Edited by Matthew

I don't see alot of people talking about Blue Knights, but I just have to say, I absolutely love their music selections of the last 6 years. I think their arrangements are fantastic, and I just love the way they bring out the power of the selections.

Fear and Trembling in 02 just absolutely blew me away. Definitely in my top 3 musical performances of that year. And I loved the Shostakovich pieces from this year as well. And while I have always enjoyed their performances since the early 90's, the last 6 years have just really drawn me in more than ever. I think they may have some of the best musical arrangements of any of the corps.

I am not sure who picks out their musical selections, but whoever it is I really want to thank them, and let you know BK shows are some of the most listened to selections of the last 6 years in my CD player.

I also like some of the risks they take with their colorguard. I love the unique styles of dance they bring to the field every year(I know alot of people don't care for it, but I really like how it stands out)

Can't wait to see what they bring to the field this next year.

My favorite show from BK goes back to when they first cracked in to the top 12 in 1991. Second favorite has to be 2001.....Blue Tunes. I thought they did a great job with a jazzy edge.

OH.....and I loved "Some Enchanted Evening" from 2005

And finally......they should bring back the DOTS......there I said it.....

I loved 99, 03, 04,05, and 07. Those were some great years. By the way if you look on a certain video site, there's a tuba cam of 2007. It's cool.

This is a great topic… BK does not get enough love on DCP. They’ve certainly endured some unfair criticism, so I admire their conviction for sticking to their guns and embracing a musical style that, IMO, translates beautifully to the field. In terms of my favorite shows, 1999 was a great year, but I have to say I especially loved 2006 and 2007. I can’t wait to see 2008.

bk '01 is definitely a show that a lot of people should re-watch. very underrated....one of the stronger hornlines in their history too, i thought. very entertaining.

I think I'm like genetically pre-disposed to dislike BK shows or something. I don't know what it is, I've just never been able to get into any of their shows. It's kind of weird, honestly.

One of these posts is not like the others.

But anyway, I can't wait to hear some of their show music. Checked them out at their first camp, but they only played some extra pieces (I think). Sounded great though!