Most difficult show you ever marched?

Colts - 1998, beginning of second piece (Searching For You/Reza). Just after Crown Him with Many Crowns. We had just finished some pretty physically demanding drill and were immediately required to play long, smooth notes while still marching fairly quickly. If you've ever had that feeling of not enough oxygen, like you're drowning...that's what I felt like about 20 seconds into each performance of that second tune. A great show otherwise, but my least favorite part of a show to perform. Music was great, drill was fine, but the combination of everything made it horribly difficult to get through every time.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bluecoats '05, no comparison for me. ridiculous.

i didnt think ogden was too bad this year, but that was because my 2nd valve slide kept randomly popping out and i honestly spent the majority of my show on autopilot (in a good way) making sure it didnt pop completely out of my horn. thats the only reason why i felt like denver was harder this year. the boise state show, after all that time spent in utah and colorado, was one of the easiest (and most fun) drum corps shows ive ever performed.

I'd say my toughest show was probably '86.

It was my rookie year and while I was comfortable with the music, it was the craziest drill I had ever been a part of. I remember learning the rotating blocks at the beginning of the season, and George Z. was dragging me from spot to spot because I was obviously not getting it :) I did get it finally :) but spent most of the spring in terror that I was going to mess up and get seriously hurt (or worse hurt someone else) in certain spots. Needless to say, it didn't make me feel better when we spent an afternoon learning how to fall, roll away from the formation and get up quick :D

I performed shows that probably had higher levels of difficulty, but I didn't struggle near as much as I did my rookie season.

Peace,

CuriousMe

I always felt like I was going to die at the end of "wired" in 06. Pretty much non-stop marching and playing for my section. At 200+. And I really don't know how I got through the new ending in 07. I was already exhausted by the end of pressure- the pretty backfield movement probably doesn't look as hard as it was- I was playing the whole time and there were lots of awkward drill moves with very dense forms (lots of people around), so it wasn't much of a break, and then the tag ending was just sick. running around at 200 after the rest of that show? Good night.

And people complained that the horns went into half time whenever they played anything, but watch carefully- there's a section that keeps chugging along in single time when the rest of the hornline is in half time or just standing still, in more than one spot in the show. That was hard.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

Does rain and mud count? I can remember a few of those! :dry:

Riverside (the first one) in 06 was a beast. We already had a hard show that year (apparently to the point where visual judges were knocking off points because our drill was "too hard", uggh), but Riverside was just really fricken HOT. They told us it was actually 122 on the field when we were out there. Sure, its a dry heat, but 122 is still 122. :dry:

bluecoats '05, no comparison for me. ridiculous.

i didnt think ogden was too bad this year, but that was because my 2nd valve slide kept randomly popping out and i honestly spent the majority of my show on autopilot (in a good way) making sure it didnt pop completely out of my horn. thats the only reason why i felt like denver was harder this year. the boise state show, after all that time spent in utah and colorado, was one of the easiest (and most fun) drum corps shows ive ever performed.

I was really impressed with ya'll at that show,

After the props had fallen down during the feature - Blue Coats just acted like it never happened. The guard in particular was working their butts off to catch what they tossed, since the wind had picked up.