Can we Stop Using the Words Graduation and Faculty Now ?

Hi All,

I have never been comfortable with the words graduation and faculty being used in drum corps. Sorry to the folks and corps who like using these words. According to Webster's Dictionary, there use in today's DCI drum corps doesn't make sense.

Websters.....not me

Faculty: All the teachers of a school, college, or university or of one of its departments or divisions.

Maybe Spirit can use this word but they would be the only one.

Graduation: A graduating or being graduated from a school or college.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why does it matter? It hurts exactly NOBODY and helps those who might want to persuade their parents to let them march. Don't hate, appreciate. :laughing:

By the way, when I did music classes in the Marines, I got college credit for them, and it was a lot less intense "studying" and "practicing" than what I see expected from kids who march corps.

Well, since we're going to be nitpicky about terms...

Also from Webster's (dictionary.com, in fact):

Conductor: A person who directs an orchestra or chorus, communicating to the performers by motions of a baton or the hands his or her interpretation of the music.

(Emphasis mine)

[sarcasm]

Since drum corps are neither an orchestra nor a chorus, Phantom Regiment should stop using the term conductor IMMEDIATELY!!!

[/sarcasm]

That is all.

We've had this discussion before, but no one objects to us calling ourselves alumni, so when I brought up objecting to these other academic terms, I looked like a hypocrite. It still bothers me, but alumni doesn't.

Hi All,

I have never been comfortable with the words graduation and faculty being used in drum corps.

That's the spirit! Welcome to Disgruntled Complainers International: Marching Music's Moaning League