Fringe Junior Corps Organization

And just to clear something up, I decided over the summer that I would do everything I could to march DCI in 2009 and 2010. I am in the process of learning a brass instrument and I have chosen two corps whose camps I will attend next year. I shouldn't have to justify myself with this but I feel I have to so you guys will stop harping on this issue

Which 2 corps have you narrowed it down to?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....So, Hroth, until you can know and experience these traditions that make the activity what it is, you have NO place to say that the activity needs any sort of help, new rules, etc.

Thanks!

What BS - Hroth has every right to comment on issues he sees.

And I'll say the same thing he said - so what irrelevant post do you have to dis my opinion?

Eventually, something has got to give. It seems the interest in preserving junior drum and bugle corps and the distaste of what it has become and what it will soon become is high enough that an effort at creating a new junior corps circuit with a more traditional focus could be put forth. Do you think this will happen, or is the demand not high enough? If so, when? It's an interesting thought.

someone woke up after a bad dream

warm milk, my friend...warm milk

To the OP:

First of all, Is Drum and Bugle Corps really that different from what it was in 1999? I seem to remember you stating that you wish the activity could remain like it was then.

Since '99 was 8 years ago, let's look at the activity in 8 year segments. 8 years before that we had 1991, where Star won a championship with only 2 valves. I would say the overall feel of the shows and sounds of the ensemble were more different fro '91 to '99 than from '99 to '07. If you go back 8 more years (1983), you have many more differences that I could not even begin to discuss. My point is that you just happened to pick a brief time period that you thought exemplified traditional Drum Corps. It's not like drum corps was the way it existed in 1999 for decades.

What BS - Hroth has every right to comment on issues he sees.

And I'll say the same thing he said - so what irrelevant post do you have to dis my opinion?

Everything I had to say in this topic I already have said. And, might I add, in a calm manner without your taste in rude language.

I agree that Hroth has a right to comment, but not to say that things need changing because he has no idea what the activity really is. What things he WANTS to be changed are different than anything NEEDING to be changed.

Go search for Van Matthews' interview that he gave after either the Atlanta show or the Murfreesboro show- "The state of Drum Corps is VERY HEALTHY."

(and yes, Van Matthews is a god....lol)

<Agree>

You are a hoot young man.

You really do need to march in a corps and experience life in the activity beyond what's posted on this board.

</Agree>

Until you have walked a mile in the shoes you are merely spouting conjecture.

Touche'

But honestly in my opinion...I don't think it'll happen. Like one of the previous above said, it's not like drum corps has transformed into some alter activity since 1999.

Edited by Notorious T-U-B-A

Eventually, something has got to give. It seems the interest in preserving junior drum and bugle corps and the distaste of what it has become and what it will soon become is high enough that an effort at creating a new junior corps circuit with a more traditional focus could be put forth. Do you think this will happen, or is the demand not high enough? If so, when? It's an interesting thought.

No disrespect for anyone's personal preferences, but in answer to your question: I don't think it'll happen. Here on the forum you can find a fair number of posters who beat the drum for a return to the good old days. But I don't believe the folks who are out there on the front lines (current administration/staff/members) are very interested in revisiting the past. Even if you could come up with enough sympathetic administrative entities, do you really think you could find enough 16 - 21 year old kids who would be interested in marching in a nostalgia circuit?

The history of the activity, and the great corps of the past, are the foundation upon which the current activity is built. Today's kids are standing on the old-schooler's shoulders as they reach for their spot in the pantheon. But don't hold your breath waiting for them to do it like we did it back in the day. Multi-key, amps, narration, whatever - they're gonna figure out their own way. I say good luck to them; let's just hope they have as much fun as we did!

Peace - and holiday regards - to all,

Fred O.

i don't understand why everybody's got their panties all in a bunch over hroth.. the kid asked a very good question which was posed to generate a discussion.. i thought this was a discussion board? so what if he's never marched. its not like DCI is this huge, complex 50,000 piece puzzle. it is not that hard to figure out. let him have his opinions. you all obviously have yours. i have some as well:

i think a lot of times it takes an outsider's point of view to point out the things that are wrong. we all know he's never marched. does anybody happen to think that this gives him an advantage? aside from being a fan he's got no ties to any organization, so it doesn't hurt him to point out the obvious. i've marched for several years and i'm the first to admit that i find it hard to criticize the organizations i've gone through. i've learned recently that when you take a step back and look at the big picture it is a whole different story. i guess what i'm trying to say is, don't go into defense mode so quickly. the kid might just have a point.

i don't think that much is awry with DCI at the moment, but i see it spiraling into BOA for big kids very quickly. for that reason alone i think another circuit is a possibility, but would it be necessary? how many corps would be interested in starting another circuit? probably few to none. would i (and several other people) love that? yes. will it ever happen? no. and i'm perfectly fine with that.

my bet: in ten years, DCI is a thing of the past and BOA is the conglomerate of the marching activity.

i think a lot of times it takes an outsider's point of view to point out the things that are wrong. we all know he's never marched. does anybody happen to think that this gives him an advantage? aside from being a fan he's got no ties to any organization, so it doesn't hurt him to point out the obvious. i've marched for several years and i'm the first to admit that i find it hard to criticize the organizations i've gone through. i've learned recently that when you take a step back and look at the big picture it is a whole different story. i guess what i'm trying to say is, don't go into defense mode so quickly. the kid might just have a point.

Speaking as an Senior corps 70s dinosaur (have the t-shirt to prove it) who just hit 50, the thing I love about DCP is being able to discuss things with people who have an entirely different view and background. And anyone who hasn't marched can bring in a different POV....

Way I put it is, ya can't learn new things by only talking to people who agree with you....