Marching shoe recommendations?

MikeN

Charlie,

Try Crocs! I have the same problem now and what a difference.

I started with Drillmasters and my feet would kill me at the end of the day. I switched to MTX, and this will be my 5th year using them. I would never want to use anything else. (Except for maybe my Clarks or Rockports :withstupid: )

I have Plantar Faciitis, so what made the difference for me, was to get some good insoles. I get the ones that support the heal and arch but are only 3/4 the length of the shoe. I haven't had a problem since.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in agreement with Sean on the Bates. They're technically not 'marching shoes,' but rather police/military-type patent leather high-gloss uniform shoes. I've had mine about 3 years and they are very comfortable. I use gel heel inserts in them, only because I had heel spur problems a few years ago.

Bates Lites.

Used them in the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps and still use them today.

I agree, Sean.

Great shoe. I've had mine for two seasons, and they're really supportive, and still look like new.

Of course, they're considerably more costly than the others.

Hope to see you soon in Bayonne. I know...you're retired, but you can still stop by and say hello.

I rather prefer my Army Boots. Durable, and some ankle support for when you get on those poorly paved roads, or even cobblestone roads. They've saved me a lot of grief over the years. Not always comfortable, and a bit heavy to be marching a field show at 180bpm in. But you only need one pair to last five or more years of everyday use.

Dinkles are good too. But if you're gonna wear them everyday, they tend to pop out the air from the heels and become less comfortable to wear. And they tend to be sized a bit big for their fit. Alright I guess if it's winter and you're wearing double socks. But just be aware that your 10 1/2 foot might be wearing a 10 sized dinkle. A good shoe otherwise. Certainly more comfortable than my $10 WalMart specials.

I also wore those Corframs in the Army. More comfortable than the patent leather issue. And durable to some limited extent. Tended to melt on asphalt in the heat. And scuffed good when walking concrete steps and not picking up your feet high enough. Not that my memory is all that great, but the Dinkles are more comfy IMO.

Bates Lites.

Used them in the Marine Drum and Bugle Corps and still use them today.

I too use Bates. Only problem I've found with them is that they must fit right the first time. There is NO breaking-them-in. On the plus side......they polish-up like new with Murphy's Oil soap and can usually be purchased reasonably at an Army/Navy store.

I agree with John, Sean and others - Bates shoes. I've worn mine for8 years. Admittedly, I'm very easy on shoes. The only reason for replacement, at this time, is the heels are worn thru.

For a good price, try either E-bay or here http://www.sportsmansguide.com In either case search for Bates shoes.

Good luck

Frank