A Spartan Invitation

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

uhh... ok? So, if a div 1 (world class) corps decided to "gut their staff" or in some cases just fire people mid-way through the season and re-write the entire show then I guess that is ok? Was there an "outrage" after what happened with Madison last year? And from what I hear, 25 is a little high for the number of horns that showed up last camp but who are you to assume they will be short numbers next year? who is to assume that any corps would lose 90% of their staff in november? i believe that whatever happened over at spartans land was basically somewhat of a catastrophe but also a fluke that probably won't happen again and doesn't happen to ANY corps that often. whatever happens going into next year I think it's safe to assume it can only get better. And going along with the DCI article, according to everything said on the Spartans website it looks like their camp was a success for them. So, until I read their site and see something that is blatantly negative, I don't think any of us should worry, no matter how big or small the numbers are.

Madison was not coming off a championship season. Madison's staff changes were encouraged by the members. Staffs come and go, but when members go with them that, to me, speaks volumes. i'm just trying to provide a different perspective here, a devils advocate if you will. maybe something is wrong? maybe the people who write bad things know more than those who are constant beacons of optimism. remember those ecj threads where members posted that there was a lot they loved about their time there but that it was an incredibly poorly run organization? members tend to know these things. i'd like to know what the 07 spartans members think about this whole situation. judging from turnout and the fact that their dm is in her second year with the corps, i'd say it's not a favorable opinion. and before you play the bitter card, this is only what i have observed! sometimes it's better to look closer at things, and i know that everyone here wants drum corps to succeed, i among you, but it's not always smiles in sunshine in dci. we all know that.

and you will never read anything negative on any corps site ever.

I'm not sure what happened but I wish all of the people at Spartans the best. And it seems there are a select few people that keep posting on any thread featuring the Citations in a very positive/optimistic manner, which is great! But then move over to any Spartans threads and post nothing but negativity and skepticism, which I don't understand no matter what corps it is. It actually makes me laugh seeing all this obvious bitterness that you should all know is extremely transparent to the rest of the world. We are all able to speak our minds however we would like to on here but we are merely un-named people behind a computer than have little to do with anything that happens on the field or behind the scenes.

I don't know what those people who are being blatantly negative/positive in semi-related threads are thinking. you make a god point. they may be bitter,. but the may know more than us as well. butagain i have to go back to the memebrs. if they supported the decisions of the corps then they would have stayed. it's very obvious that hthey haven't.

Every corps stumbles at times... and in my years, I have seen many fall. The only thing we (as fans/volunteers/alumni, etc) can do is be supportive and hope for the best in the future of the activity. If we keep talking about outrages and negative outlooks based on the unknown facts then we're merely shooting ourselves in the foot because I thought we were here to support the activity. And those of you who might be itching to reply to this post, whether you know facts or not (which is irrelevant) it doesn't mean that you as an outsider are going to get any message across to the world of DCI except to point out the fact that you are very upset about something (which is blatantly obvious) and you're just taking it out publicly in a place where you feel a message can be sent. As I said before, it just makes me laugh and I think you're all in very small company.

Well, It would be nice to see the Spartans march world class next year. I want to show as much support as I can from out west and I look forward to seeing you in Indy. Good luck in 08.

Again, not bitter. just inquisitive. maybe we all should be a little mroe. maybe if there is more public outcry and inquistion into what is going on at corps, we'll see less fold out of the blue. like ecj and southwind. blargh, who knows.

To the people that continue to incite this pointless argument:

You're ########.

Enjoy 'marching' with the Couch-men this year while corps members and staff throw down all summer.

Life goes on. If Spartans march 13 people total and Citations march super-corps this year... it is what it is. Life goes on. If East Coast Jazz folds, it is what it is... life goes on.

Yes, ladies and gentlemen-- continuing discussion on a very important discussion does in fact, make you "########". God forbid people discuss activities pertaining to drum corps on a website called Drum Corps Planet. God, the nerve some people have.

From what my friend told me, the staff was not fired. They left on their own accord. Get your facts straight. Maybe you should save all your energy for the field, or whatever it is that you are doing for the summer. :peek:

You should check your sources, as he is stating that none of the staff was fired..

Edited by sobe

You should check your sources, as he is stating that none of the staff was fired..

I think that you need to read my quoted post. He accused Spartans of "gutting" their staff. Pretty sure that is a synonym for "Fired."

Indeed no one will ever know what happened. SO march this summer and stop complaining. If you are mad at Spartans go march somewhere and compete against them. If you are defensive of Spartans, go march there and compete against all the pessimists.

So Spartans changed staff for what whatever reason and have had a few horns at rehearsal:

SO FRIGGIN' WHAT???

Went thru two reorganizations of my old corps (including new Business Manager) when it actually went defunct and came back a lot less powerful than before. #### if DCP had been around people would have been bashing, second guessing and pulling "facts" outta their collective butt on what was "really" going on. And the only thing that would have done is turn off people to the corps and probably hurt it's chances to come back (twice).

Anyone who knows the Spartans and is bashing what went on or is going on is hurting the corps. If you were connected to the corps in the past how do you justify hurting your old group?

Good luck Spartans, heavens knows we need all the corps we can get.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Allow me to put the rumor mill to rest once and for all.

Chicken Little called me on the phone last night and personally assured me that the sky is indeed falling.