Strange Arrangements, what are some of the most unusual arrangements y

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was just recently listening to Cadets Les Mis show, and the ballad has one of the most unusual arrangements I have heard, and I remember the first time I heard the finals recording, I thought it was a phasing error. I think it was performed as it was written, but I have to say it is a most unusual timing/melody balance I think I have ever heard on the field.

What are some moments that just made you go HUH?

This is not meant to be negative, strange isn't necessarily bad...

The Cadets Les Mis show is one of those situations, particularly the section that you described above, where only hearing the audio is giving you HALF of the effect. What was happening ON the field with the drill was just as important and either element alone won't make much sense...however, when you combine the two, it is genius.

In this instance, half of the hornline or less with a featured soloist was moving and playing "Bring Him Home"...nearing the end of that movement, the other half which was marching a separate drill formation to the left and backfield, entered strongly with "I Dreamed A Dream". Since this was a musical about the French Revolution, IMHO the Cadets were attempting to portray dissonance, discord, anger, and tension.

There are another two places in the show where a unique visual is missed if all you've gotten is the audio. One is during a drum break slightly after 3 minutes into the program and the other is within a few seconds of the end. During these two drum breaks of only 4 measures each, the corps is in a block formation and moves in slow motion, much like the actors do in the stage production at various times in the show. It was quite neat.

And in case you didn't know...that was the year that the Cadets moved during their warmup, basically starting their show before the final announcement was made to begin. They timed it perfectly so that the "You may enter the field" announcement from Brandt Crocker at finals was done so just before the first big hit. Sounds much like this year, eh?

The show placed 5th. But it stands as one of my favorite Cadets shows of all time. The brass arrangements were not as strong as we had come to expect...Robert Smith seemed to be somewhat of a backwards step for them, IMHO, or at least maybe he just wasn't a good fit for that line. The brass finished with a tie for 7th, while they were 4th in all other captions (tot GE, Visual, and Perc).

Edited by ssorrell

I thought that the brass arranging for The Cadets in 89 was oustanding and that the brass performance,

while very musically and packed with emotion, lacked in technique and sound quality when compared

to the corps above.

Regardless, it's in my top 10 shows of all time. Better than the actual musical.

Climb in the WABAC Machine for this one.

1973 Kilties did "God Save the Queen" as their color-pre, but they did it in a minor key...well, multiple minor keys because it changed with almost every phrase. If you don't access to a copy to listen to, there might still be a 70's still picture album on that un-named video sharing website. I think FormerScout posted it. The background music is 73 Kilties, and the color-pre was the second piece played that year.

Was that a Kenny Norman arrangement? RobH?

Garry in Vegas

Edited by CrunchyTenor

1984 Suncoast Sound. Mixing the Rolling Stones "Satisfaction" with "America The Beautiful". A VERY strange combination that worked awesomely.

Agreed.

Climb in the WABAC Machine for this one.

1973 Kilties did "God Save the Queen" as their color-pre, but they did it in a minor key...well, multiple minor keys because it changed with almost every phrase. If you don't access to a copy to listen to, there might still be a 70's still picture album on that un-named video sharing website. I think FormerScout posted it. The background music is 73 Kilties, and the color-pre was the second piece played that year.

Was that a Kenny Norman arrangement? RobH?

Garry in Vegas

I would say yes, that was Ken Norman's arrangement. Interestingly enough, Kenny arranged "God Save the Queen" for the San Leandro Royalaires in 1972 as our color pre as well, sans all the Key changes.

Edited by Russellrks

If we're using "strange" to mean out of the ordinary.. one of my favorites is the '78 Bridgemen's final piece David Crosby and Graham Nash's (from CS&N of course) "To the Last Whale." The original is eerie and beautiful. We taught it at (if my memory serves - it doesn't always) at St. John's School in Bergenfield, as a winter show of some sort was being put together, maybe an I&E show? Because of the activity in the main hall, the brass line was relegated to a class room and couldn't play, so we taught the piece vocally. The original chart was longer than the one that was played at the end of the year, and performed vocally was haunting and beautiful. Larry Kerchner, if not the best arranger ever, certainly the best of his time, LOVED whales, and subsequently loved this piece of music. Even shortened and played on bugles during the season, this piece is among the most beautiful I've ever heard.

The transition that followed, into the (signature) William Tell Overture with Pat Forker acting as frustrated traffic cop at the end, is simply "strange".

Strangest? 92 Bluecoats, for sure. "Jazz-O-Phonic Beatles"...a complete ? from moment one. I was on staff, and it was a miracle we made finals with that rolling garbage truck of a show.

Go listen to it...then go have a beer. You'll need it! :thumbs-up:

Strangest? 92 Bluecoats, for sure. "Jazz-O-Phonic Beatles"...a complete ? from moment one. I was on staff, and it was a miracle we made finals with that rolling garbage truck of a show.

Go listen to it...then go have a beer. You'll need it! :thumbs-up:

You know, that was honestly the first show that popped in my mind, but I didn't want to call out anyone...

But yeah, those Beatles arrangements were definitely "most unusual"

I'm surprised that no one has bothered to mention "Not the Nutcracker"....pure wierdness from start to finish.