Is the SCV Tilt Back?

Who won drums at "72 DCI? (I should know this...) Kingsmen? "Tilted snares" were the norm back then, and somebody had to have won drums at finals. :tongue:

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yup, you're wrong.

vanguard also won in 98 with the tilt. way to do your homework, lsu grad....

also, how can it be a "gimmick" if it puts your hands in a more natural playing position? i don't get all of this hate for the tilt. that's how some people do it. get over it. if anything, it's MORE "correct" than playing on a flat surface with traditional grip.

Maybe they should concentrate on making sweet drums instead of deals.

Off topic...

Question: Have you played on a Dynasty before? Have you tuned up a set of quads or one of their snares? Tried different head combos? Or is this based off of watching 15 fps youtube vids of Scholastic A lines?

This comes up again and again on the boards but the fact is that Dynasty DOES make sweet drums. I've played in and taught lines that have used all three of the major brands for marching percussion (Yammie/Pearl/Dynasty) and when it came time to purchase my most recent snare drum I went with a 14" Dynasty "double" snare because it cracks like nothing else and it's solid as all he**.

I think you're confusing that "type" of sound that's produced with the quality of their products... When was the last time you heard someone complain about the actual QUALITY of the product's materials or construction?

I've heard Pearl's and Yammies that sound like a handful of 2 x 4's falling down stairs... the sound is entirely based around the tuning and head selection determined by the staff AND the player's approach to the drum! I am more intrigued than ever to hear if PR can get a nice dark/symphonic sound out of them (and if so then the next set I buy for my HS line will be Dynasty instead of Pearl).

ON TOPIC:

Tilt or no tilt Vanguard will be RUUUUUDE! Get it Cat!

Here we go again. We had a long and spirited discussion about THE CASELLA TILT on the percussion forum last year. I called it a gimmick. Bottom line: No DCI drumline has ever won high percussion with tilted snares. Correct me if I'm wrong.......

CORRECTED ! :tongue:

Here we go again. We had a long and spirited discussion about THE CASELLA TILT on the percussion forum last year. I called it a gimmick. Bottom line: No DCI drumline has ever won high percussion with tilted snares. Correct me if I'm wrong.......

I guess it's a gimmick if no one is there to explain it to you and you don't have the wherewithal to figure it out yourself.

Whether you like the appearance or not is your opinion and you don't have to know much to have an opinion.

Calling it a gimmick leads me to infer that you believe there is no functional relevance.

Even had you been correct in your 'high-perc' assertion, it by no means would have made for a valid argument.

More of a cop out, really.

Dkid

edit: too harsh? :guinesssmilie:

Edited by drumkid

Thanks for making me almost spit ritz toasted chips across my desk.

uhhhh... what? SCV did win drums in 04

~>conner

I've heard Pearl's and Yammies that sound like a handful of 2 x 4's falling down stairs... the sound is entirely based around the tuning and head selection determined by the staff AND the player's approach to the drum!

Bluecoats 03 :guinesssmilie:

Gusseck isn't arranging the book because he wasn't hired to arrange the book. He's the battery caption manager so he deals with battery stuff and writes the warmups. BTW, what's-her-face-in-the-center's name is Catherina Bagwhat. "Cat" for short. And yes, the tilt is back. Woohoo.

Well if "Cat" is the same center snare from last year I got to see her quite a bit being the alumni corps and she is one intense bad-### snare player. She really blew me away.