Worst Injury you marched a show with

I was just wondering what injuries people have still managed to march with. The worst I did last season was march with a pulled groin. It would hurt pretty badly at times but it was bearable most of the time. One of my buds kept trying to get on to the field with a strained groin. I think we had two mellophone players strain their groins. any good stories?

-Weedy

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I played tenors in my first season of high school MB, and the bars that hole the belly plate on the harness were too low and I had eight dark bruises on each of my legs from them constantly jabbing. I also pulled a butt muscle once.

Haha, I have a friend who marched with a snare drum with broken fingers, bloody fingers, fractured fingers...He just tapes them up and ignores it.

I love that kid, he's a trooper (not from the corps Troopers, but I mean it as a figurative term). Its a shame he's just wasting his talent by not marching.

Oh, well.

I had really bad tendonitis in 2004. Marched a good 15 shows in gut-renching pain.

I was an iron horse. I never missed a show or a minute of summer rehearsal due to injury.

But I did have swimmers' ear for a day or so one year, that affected my playing in that it was hard to hear myself right.

Yeah, the only time I've dropped out of rehearsal or a show was to stretch out my hamstring sometime during spring training this year. So I guess I've never really marched with an injury, although the May drill camp in '06 was the first physical activity I did after my knee surgery, so it was interesting for sure.

I was at Colts audition camp 2 months after a massive car wreck where I broke my neck, back, and left femur. I was in a halo brace for nearly 3 months and was walking with a cane on a metal rod and 3 pins in my leg. I got the halo off the week before auditions and left the cane at home. Came back home with a contract and a solo. :tongue:

True story! Chuck may even be able to back me up on some of that...

Even though this isn't about marching a show, I posted it since it was my "overcoming injury to march corps" story. lol

As far as a show goes, I spent about 3 weeks in '96 with a severe case of bronchitis...one that the doctor told me was about 2 days from hospitalization with pneumonia when it was finally diagnosed. I missed a total of one show and one practice after being diagnosed. That includes running a Madison Scout breathing block every day except 2.

Edited by BigBadMadMan

Was it SCV 93 when the snare drummer broke his ankle and kept marching!!

Never happened during a show, but my least year of marching I had a serious pass out problem. 3 times in 3 days, once after a show...then sitting out...then while stretching. When I got to the hospital my heart beat was as high as 58 and as low as 44, thus keeping me over night in the cardiologist department. And the nerves on my whole left side were messed up. Out for 10 days, lost all strength and then some which was hard to get back. The hardest part for me was mentally preparing myself for the show in fear of passing out. And pass outs were no dehydration related.