CALLING ALL EMPIRE STATESMEN ALUMNI...

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow David,

I forgot how many years you were in...

I just looked at the 1987 picture. You and your brother Jamie look like Muppet Baby versions of yourselves.

Can you post that picture. It would be great to see.

Sam,

I have to agree that Finals 87 -- as nasty as that was -- was far preferable to '06.

Speaking of Finals 87 -- remember Neil Mosher starting his "tuba tsunami" on the 50 just before

we started Moonlight. Any "white" left on our pants was gone after that. My mother and Mrs. Bruni

spent most of Sunday afternoon at the laundry trying to get our pants clean for Finals -- ended up there

was no finals.

Cheers.

Dave Orser

(Empire Statesmen: 1984-92/06-08)

Gad...I'm trying to remember who you were!! I only remember a few names....Dave and Vince, of course, "Crash" in the mello line, and "Contra Guy" in the contras.

I was only in teh corps for the 2nd half of the season. Was Neil the BIG contra? I remember the inside of his pants seams being totally brown by the end of the show....you could certainly tell who dragged their heels against their leg on the mark times!

I don't remember the tsunami....my opening set was side 1 behind the center mark....behind the battery, I think.

I DO -- however -- remember forgetting the added bar of drums between Moonlight and Opus One...hit the last chord in Moonlight, heard the 4 count tap in teh snares and did my left pivot to step off...and the very moment I started rotating i remembered that there was 4 counts of "chugada chugada chugada chugada" from teh battery first! I clearly remember freezing on place after stepping out until the 4 counts had passed! i use that as an example of what to do when you make a mistake on the field....

Remember when we lined up on the 50 at Hamilton, ONT.....and Dave gave the cops a mass command to left face, forward 8, so we'd set up on teh center line?? Danged Canadian football fields!

And of course, the ultimate dig at our bros from teh Great White North...to the tune of America the Beautiful.. "Oh Caaaaanada...oooohhh Caaaaanada....it's somewhere over thereeeeeee...."

Good times!

David Bruni is a 100% standup guy. He and I had a heart-to-heart in Liverpool.( I TRULY loved his dad)(David...luvya)

Had I stayed in Rochester,,Id have marched with Empire.

All Alumni are invited to come check out the 2008 version of your Corps on March 1st at our first "Winter Show" of the year. I'm sure you all remember the Winter Shows!!

Check out the Web Site at http://www.statesmen.org for details.

Happy Anniversary!!

All Alumni are invited to come check out the 2008 version of your Corps on March 1st at our first "Winter Show" of the year.

I have to say, I've never been so excited to perform in a winter show before! The corps has brought back some classic statesmen tunes, have a few new ones in store, and for the first time ever the pit will be playing melodic material on ALL of these tunes- material that really complements and fills out that true drum corps sound!

If any ES alumni come, PLEASE stop afterwards to say hi! Don't be shy!

Also, this past camp a whole family that used to march with us stopped by. A cymbal player, Bari, Gaurd and Pit. It was great seeing all of them! I'm glad that these fantastic alumni were able to visit their drum corps family and see us practice. Gah, I miss them! If you used to march, it's totally ok to come back and visit! :tongue:

Take care,

I have to say, I've never been so excited to perform in a winter show before! The corps has brought back some classic statesmen tunes, have a few new ones in store, and for the first time ever the pit will be playing melodic material on ALL of these tunes- material that really complements and fills out that true drum corps sound!

If any ES alumni come, PLEASE stop afterwards to say hi! Don't be shy!

Also, this past camp a whole family that used to march with us stopped by. A cymbal player, Bari, Gaurd and Pit. It was great seeing all of them! I'm glad that these fantastic alumni were able to visit their drum corps family and see us practice. Gah, I miss them! If you used to march, it's totally ok to come back and visit! :tongue:

Take care,

The pit really gives these tunes an interesting sound :tongue: