Narrative to be crucial element behind Cadets 2008 program

Fair enough.... although I still don't see how you could compare that one line to the Cadets' product and call them both "narration".

Perception is all... not saying you are wrong or I am wrong.. just perception.

One can still compare the two. But you are right, there are more contrasts than comparisons to be made. However, the practice section of The Cadets show can be compared to the "Drop your weapons" section of the Bluecoats show. Both interacted with what was taking place on the field at the time.

I totally see a difference, just as the other POSTER (who got slammed) had. And I too see a clear ability to have an opinion to choose one style over the other. (Or even the option to dislike both ~God forbid~)

I didn't slam him. I was pointing out that Bluecoats' narration was more than sound effects, specifically that their words interacted with what was going on on the field. You could compare it to the practice section in The Cadets show. Granted, Bluecoats' narration was much shorter. But the point is that you can still compare (and contrast) both uses.

I can see a difference, too. The most blaring one being the amount used. FWIW, I didn't like either uses very much.

Edited by i_play_percussion

(do not attack my grammar Texas and Whitedawn, get past it for once!)

I don't remember ever attacking your grammar.

Nah, I don't think that's the case either...besides, there were other corps directors who voted for some of those rules so let's stop making him the scapegoat. He's been the director for quite a while and there were lots of years where The Cadets had fans "eating out of their hands".

Others get in line with him but George is leading the charge and everyone is aware of it. That's why the members have to endure stuff like hashgate. George and his vision bring it down on the kids heads.

Agreed Cadets had the crowd eating out of their hands - 2000 comes to mind for me personally. That was pre amps, doors, baton twirlers and "this I believe".

Others get in line with him but George is leading the charge and everyone is aware of it. That's why the members have to endure stuff like hashgate. George and his vision bring it down on the kids heads.

Agreed Cadets had the crowd eating out of their hands - 2000 comes to mind for me personally. That was pre amps, doors, baton twirlers and "this I believe".

The Cadets had crowds eating out of their hands this year. Maybe not at finals...but plenty of times at other shows throughout the year. We can all admit that finals is a 'different' kind of crowd.

The Cadets had crowds eating out of their hands this year. Maybe not at finals...but plenty of times at other shows throughout the year. We can all admit that finals is a 'different' kind of crowd.

I can't honestly say because I wasn't there. There seem to be conflicting reports on "the crowd loved them" and "they were booed on the field", usually divided along partisan lines. It seems all you have to do is say that something did/did not occur to make it fact. I know for myself I loved them in 2000, not so much in 04 and skipped them in 05.

I do think that any trickle down animosity to Cadets as a corps lies at the feet of Hopkins. Think back to the hash mark thread. Again, I wasn't there, but I support George's decision. I don't think it would have gone the way it did had it been any other corps/corps director. In short, George's ego and "vision" (and that of his creative team, I suppose) is responsible for any negative press the corps recieves.

I can't honestly say because I wasn't there. There seem to be conflicting reports on "the crowd loved them" and "they were booed on the field", usually divided along partisan lines. It seems all you have to do is say that something did/did not occur to make it fact. I know for myself I loved them in 2000, not so much in 04 and skipped them in 05.

I do think that any trickle down animosity to Cadets as a corps lies at the feet of Hopkins. Think back to the hash mark thread. Again, I wasn't there, but I support George's decision. I don't think it would have gone the way it did had it been any other corps/corps director. In short, George's ego and "vision" (and that of his creative team, I suppose) is responsible for any negative press the corps recieves.

Sure...

I was there, and i agree with the second paragraph for the most part. As far as the crowd reaction - it depended on the location. I went to 5 or 6 shows, and some of them, especially early season, were very quiet. The smaller shows i saw in july with a more intimate atmosphere were pretty intense though

I think hiring a professional writer is a good thing. I do hope it will be minimal.

I hope they also have better vocalist. The delivery also needs to improve.

I have trouble believing the words are so important that the show would lose all meaning, emotion and aesthetic value without it; that the words will have more meaning or effect than the music and marching ever could.

I have trouble believing the words are so important that the show would lose all meaning, emotion and aesthetic value without it; that the words will have more meaning or effect than the music and marching ever could.

Where did anyone say this was the case?

Where did anyone say this was the case?

I think it is inferred every time they add it to a show. The designers seem to be saying they are not able to convey the theme without coming straight out and telling us what it is they want to "say".

I think it is inferred every time they add it to a show. The designers seem to be saying they are not able to convey the theme without coming straight out and telling us what it is they want to "say".

I would use the word perceived in place of inferred, but that's just me.