Narrative to be crucial element behind Cadets 2008 program

I think it is inferred every time they add it to a show. The designers seem to be saying they are not able to convey the theme without coming straight out and telling us what it is they want to "say".

I dont think that was really his point....but maybe it was. As far as the point you bring up....i dont even want to get into it right now....maybe later :grouphug:

Where did anyone say this was the case?

In Hopkins words from his blog:

At this juncture the voice contribution is restricted. But, what is there, is critical to the story and we want to produce this with the highest quality and the most efficient use of the word.

Maybe it will add something maybe it won't. I just don't see any words being "critical" to the show to where there absence would ruin their story.

Well, on the one hand I am hoping he/they learned from how disastrous the product was at the beginning of the summer last year and this plea for a professional will help them start with a better beginning product, but on the other hand I wish they would not use it at all.

At the same time, I will keep an open mind. Hated the narration in early season Cadets 07. . .loved the finished product.

Your observation about the narration is interesting, because this is the exact opposite take on it that Mr. Hopkins himself expressed in Orlando.

If they are going to use narration, I am glad to see that they are attempting to improve the product. The music clips they have posted are once again phenominal. Hopefully, the narration will equal the quality of the music.

My problem (opinion) has always been that the quality level of the script/narration, amps and props has never risen beyond that of a local high school production. This sounds like a first step in the right direction. If the script and the narration are of the same caliber as the marching and playing then great, if not then leave it out.

"As one would expect, there is narrative attached to the Cadets' 2008 production"

Anybody really surprised here?

Professional screen writers- I wonder if Lee Rudnicki is available :lookaround:

In Hopkins words from his blog:

Maybe it will add something maybe it won't. I just don't see any words being "critical" to the show to where there absence would ruin their story.

Ok....i didnt remember the blog quote. As far as your second statement, the narration will be as critical as they choose to make it. It can either be a little extra something on the top, or it can be an integral part of the show. This distinction is yet to be decided

Your observation about the narration is interesting, because this is the exact opposite take on it that Mr. Hopkins himself expressed in Orlando.

If they are going to use narration, I am glad to see that they are attempting to improve the product. The music clips they have posted are once again phenominal. Hopefully, the narration will equal the quality of the music.

I was watching my '07 Championship DVDs earlier today, and I had the Show Designer's Commentary on for The Cadets show. I was surprised to here him say that he didn't really like some of the narration. He point out a specific line in the beginning, and he made other comments about the last movement's narration.

He seemed a lot happier with his design decisions, specifically dealing with judges vs. audience happiness, for '07 than he did for '06.

Will there be any opportunities to hear Cadet's show sans narration (other than hoping the electrical system at a show goes haywire)? I will not listen/watch their show if it includes narration like last year or even if it includes more than the other corps used last year (ie I can deal with it when it is used for emphasis or for a gag/gimic even though I would prefer none). I have heard a few recordings of this year's show and I would like to be able to just listen to the show without distractions.

Could you provide some examples of "schizophrenic" in last year's show? I'm not sure what you're getting at hear. Also, how do you think this years narrative will differ from last year's? Interesting to discuss these differences...

Hrothgar, is that you? My goodness, you are being so civil yet discussing Cadets. Hats...er, helmets...off to you.

And if someone has hijacked Hrothgar's account, would you please return him to us in one piece? :lookaround: