Indy finals housing

This is so early in the year for high school bands -- school hasn't started yet and the top bands are shooting to peak in mid-November. I think any competitve high school band would relish the chance to show their kids how a top drum corps at their peak point in the season practices. The value of that experience would far outweigh any practice disruptions of summer camp for a few days, imo.

True, but there are MANY programs in the area that have camps before, during and after DCI finals week.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On what grounds?

One year was understandable...we just got fieldturf on the varsity field last summer, so housing anyoen was out of the question.

The other years? They claimed cost (even though the corps would cover any added expense) and legal liability issues, but at the end of the day it was just plain "We don't want to".

We were very disappointed, as we wanted to use the corps rehearsals as models for our students. We will keep trying though! This year there is major construction on the HS (new theater and music wing...both much needed!), so we aren't going to bother, but we will start back again in 09. We will go back to DCI East with a busload early enough in the day to watch some rehearsals.

A colleague at Taylor University, a small liberal arts school about an hour north of Indy, said she's gotten a couple calls from corps about staying there and using their stadium. There are a lot of small colleges with stadiums in that part of the country. Maybe that's the way some of the corps are planning to go.

There are plenty of Middle schools and elementary schools in the area as well. With the shrinking number of corps each year I don't think finding a place to stay for all of them is going to be difficult.

There are plenty of Middle schools and elementary schools in the area as well. With the shrinking number of corps each year I don't think finding a place to stay for all of them is going to be difficult.

I don't know too many elementary schools with a whole bunch of showers. :tongue:

I don't know too many elementary schools with a whole bunch of showers. :tongue:

My child's middle school has plenty, and is in the mix to host a corps. No need to panic everyone.

For DCI, it is no longer just about finding space. In the areas surrounding Indiana, space is not a problem. Finding long term partners that will build relationships and benefits is the key.

For DCI, it is no longer just about finding space. In the areas surrounding Indiana, space is not a problem. Finding long term partners that will build relationships and benefits is the key.

Well said!

It's all about building a relationship for the future.

-GM

My child's middle school has plenty, and is in the mix to host a corps. No need to panic everyone.

Mine too and I'm not trying to panic anyone. I am a completely non-confrontational guy. Note the smiley face.

For DCI, it is no longer just about finding space. In the areas surrounding Indiana, space is not a problem. Finding long term partners that will build relationships and benefits is the key. I totally agree. Particularly as they are going to be there ten years. Then again good relationships are important no matter how long that relationship is going to last.

Well if Indy gives 'em any trouble, send 'em all to Dallas--plenty of schools down here that would gladly host a corps...ANY corps! I mean, if there's any trouble with even a single OC corps finding housing, just move the whole thing down here!

Oh, wait...legal agreements with Indy. I'm sure the organizers and Chamber of Commerce spoke with local schools to get them on board. And if they didn't, they sure would get involved real quick to ensure that Indy is the best thing to ever happen to DCI. Remember, this is a 10-year deal, but Indy has the incentive to get it extended ASAP. And don't be surprised if that little 2014 scheduling problem got rectified in DCI's favor if things go well the first few years of the deal.

Non issue...don't worry.