Music that translates well to the field

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What about William Tell Overture - Bridgemen version . . . I can still hear the "shake" for the horse's neigh.

I will say that Phillip Glass has worked out much better on the field than I ever would have predicted. I always felt that the lack of harmonic development in minimalist music made it unsuited to drum corps adaptation, but there's no denying the results.

1999 Santa Clara Vanguard! :tongue::tongue::blink:

What????

... "an American in Paris" , "Concerto in F", and "Rhapsody" have been done hundreds of times...check corpsreps.com for how many corps have done those selections as well as Porgy and Bess. Someone to Watch over Me, Fascinating Rhythm and I got Rhythm are close behind as Greshwin tunes that have made the field and been successful. The Phantom arrangement a few years ago intertwined Rhapsody and American in Paris in an exquisite thematic arrangement. It was very well put together and earned a very high placement. Many thought they won with that show. Madison has done both Rhapsody and an American in Paris quite successfully as well. Star's arrangement of Porgy and Bess was quite awesome as was Spirit's. Blue Devils even did a Porgy and Bess medley in the 70's arranged by Jim Ott that was very well put together.

"An American in Paris" works very well, IMO. I do agree with the OP on "Rhapsody In Blue"; mixed as Phantom did it worked fine, but I just have not heard a real killer chart of it in either band or corps going back to the 60's. I think the lushness of the strings just has not translated well for me. Regiment did come closest though.

Back in the day (late 60's if I remember correctly), both the Blessed Sacrament Golden Knights and the Chicago Cavaliers did their own treatments of Elanor Rigby by the Beatles and were great arrangements. They were both finalists in National competiton every year. Many times they won the National Championships.

Both did it in 1970, BS using the same chart they had done in 69. The Cavies chart was based off of a Boston Pops arrangement; it was, I think, their concert number. I remember it being ore "symphonic" in nature than BS. BS' chart was more of a straight-ahead driving version played out of concert...being as I saw BS a lot more, I preferred theirs...BS 69 is one of my all-time favorite shows.

I would bet that Rhopsody in Blue would translate well. Probably has, but I can't think of who might have done that . . .

Off the top of my head:

Royalaires- 1962 (2nd place)

Madison - 1975 (1st place)

Madison - 1976 (2nd place)

Madison - 1985 (4th place)

Phantom - 2005 (3rd place)

Can't go wrong with the Gershwins