Countdown Vote Analysis

Seeing as how '07 Crown got the top spot, I guess this proves that people love shows with amplified voice in them.

:sad:

;)

When it's only one line and the rest of the show is really good then yes.

Although I liked the ending better early in the season when it was a silent grand pause. It created a lot more musical tension and suspense; and it made for a much bigger emotional impact IMO.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think people are reading a little too much into these numbers.

I mean, that's like saying that the corps that judges gave the highest score to on Finals night has the best show of the year...and we all know how uncontentious THAT assumption is... :sad:

Edited by troon8

I still don't understand why they don't show more shows than those 6... I personally don't mind paying whatever the cost but if I'm going to drive 40 miles why not make the show a nice solid 2 1/2 hours or so?

IMO, the votes depend heavily on the show, not to mention that it was limited to only the top 12. SCV would have been on that list had other years been available, for example. So, I don't think the "vote analysis" reveals much of anything regarding corps popularity, other than people liked these shows the most out of the top 12 shows from the last three years. Besides, people can like one show from a corps, and not like the corps much (and can love a corps, and not some of their shows).

Open up the Countdown to every show ever performed in DCI, and that would probably give a much better representation of what corps are the most popular.

Here's a very valid point - one that hurts corps like the Cadets and Madison a lot. When corps have multiple shows that are very popular, then the vote gets split between them. The end result is that all of the shows receive a decent number of votes, but no one show is really a stand-out. The idea being that a group with many well liked shows will often be at the disadvantage when up against a group that had shows that were just as popular, but less of them. So, if you have 3 really popular shows, that puts you at a disadvantage against a group with 1 shows that was just as popular. Well, that's the theory at least.

Gee, that made sense when I wrote it.

Hmmm, I don't think it creates a disadvantage. In fact, it creates an advantage. Since people could vote for the same corps (meaning all three of that corp's shows), then theoretically a corps with three really great shows would get the most votes. I think Phantom Regiment is the best example of that.

The only really disadvantage lay with those corps who didn't have finalist shows all three years. Or, in other words, the only corps at a disadvantage were the Scouts (out of finals in '07) and the Colts ('05 and '06). If you added on some votes for those corps to compensate for the years they weren't in finals, then they are actually much higher on the "popularity scale".

Seeing as how '07 Crown got the top spot, I guess this proves that people love shows with amplified voice in them.

:sad:

;)

See, you're just trying to cause trouble.

Still, it's interesting to note that half the corps selected used voice to some degree. But, in my opinion, there is a difference between using voice to complement the programming (Crown, Bluecoats), and using narration as the driving force of the programming (Cadets).

Then again, I'm a Crown guy, so I have to rationalize some how.... :sad:

See, you're just trying to cause trouble.

Still, it's interesting to note that half the corps selected used voice to some degree. But, in my opinion, there is a difference between using voice to complement the programming (Crown, Bluecoats), and using narration as the driving force of the programming (Cadets).

Then again, I'm a Crown guy, so I have to rationalize some how.... :sad:

I think anyone that paints their trombone powder blue is trouble... :sad:

OK, to make it fair here are the average votes recieved by the Corps. This helps with those that are concerned about the Scouts and Colts not having as many chances. As you can see the results are nearly the same for the first 8 positions. I know I could be accused of being too much of a Phantom fan but what these numbers do show on a certain level is that for the last 3 years Phantom has made itself an audience favorite. The same can be said about Crown. I think no one would be shocked to see the Cavies and Blue Devils near the top. My guess is that the download numbers on DCI.org are similar.

Just for the heck of it I also added the (average placement) after the votes for the last 3 years so the rankings can be compared to this form of popularity measure.

Phantom - 1317.7 (3.0)

Crown - 1059.3 (7.0)

Cavies - 996.7 (2.0)

B. Devils - 732.0 (2.7)

Cadets - 679.7 (2.7)

B. Coats - 665.3 (5.3)

SCV - 598.7 (6.3)

Madison - 468.5 (7.5)

Colts - 209.0 (10)

Glassmen - 174.7 (11)

Spirit - 130.0 (12)

Crusaders - 125.7 (9.3)