DCI Finals in Bloomington

...from one puppet to another..

Would you care to spell that out? I'm feeling slow today.

• Replies 347
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reminds me of back in 2000 when finals was supposed to be held in the Redskins stadium and was moved to College park. I don't remember the reason. I was kinda looking forward to seeing finals in that new Stadium, but I guess it's no big deal. Anyone have any idea how many times this has happened? Just curious.

Besides 1989 and 2000 (discussed above), 1984 was supposed to be the second year of a two-year deal in Miami at the Orange Bowl, but the 1983 crowd was so small (a reported 17,000, on the tail of crowds about twice that size in Montreal in 1981-1982) and they had so many problems with corps housing in Miami in 1983, that by fall 1983, the DCI board voted to opt out of year two and move the 1984 championships to Atlanta (Georgia Tech's stadium). Many drum corps fans chose not to attend Miami because they thought the stadium was in an unsafe neighborhood, and they didn't like Miami's August heat and humidity, and most thought it was too far to drive. That's one big plus with central Indiana: it's within a long day's drive for more drum corps fans than most other venues.

Edited by Peel Paint

Better yet ... This could be us in a couple of years:

StatlerAndWaldorf.jpg

Of course, I'm the better looking one.

You're much more optimistic about the timeline than I am.

As I recall, the reason that happened was because of a scheduling conflict on the part of the Redskins. DCI was forced to move, and College Park was the closest alternative: DCI 2000 - College Park Md?

I remember it having something to do with new ownership buying the team and/or stadium. Can someone verify that?

To my recollection only the moves in 2000 from FedEx to Byrd Stadium (which had more to do with Dan Snyder buying the team from the Cooke family and opting out of the deal with DCI) and the 1989 switch from Montreal Canada back to Kansas City come to mind.

I'm not sure why the switch was made in 89, but I think it's funny watching the 1988 video and seeing all the 89 Montreal signage in the stadium and on the PBS broadcast, they even mention next years Finals in Canada. Maybe somebody with more knowledge of that situation can fill in the blanks.

Okay, you answered the question I asked just above.

Not going to Montreal after being scheduled to do so was due to massive chunks of concrete falling off Olympic Stadium, which forced the Montreal Expos Major League Baseball team to play its home games in away parks. No one was allowed to use the stadium until it was fixed.

Well I guess, looking on the bright side, this is a good thing that Finals is being moved to Bloomington. There could be a lot of kinks that would need to be worked out before the stadium should be used, and DCI Finals wouldn't have to be the guinea pig to find out what those kinks might be. Just a thought I guess.

Now that the championships have been moved from a retractable dome to an open field - with our luck it'll probably rain all week. :ph34r:

I am officially predicting rain in Bloomington for August 6-10, 2008. :doh:

Edited by Ahamay Oton

I am officially predicting rain in Bloomington for August 6-10, 2008. :ph34r:

Lol...hopefully not. I know the age-outs probably wouldn't be too appreciative of that experience.

Finals at college stadiums always seem to have more eating and drinking establishments within walking distance so I think finals in Bloomington will be great! Unlike last year at the Rose Bowl, where it cost an arm and a leg for a hot dog and pop!!! (Soda for those of you that don't understand 'pop'!! :ph34r: )

I'm wondering if they will reprice tickets! I'm HOPING they will! $510 for 2 Super Premium tickets to all 3 sessions is a bit much!