A question to the members of the Cadets of the last few years

As someone who marched both the early and later years of Star of Indiana I can tell you we were initially pretty accepted with a few exceptions in 1985 but in the late years we were mostly disliked. It was not fun to deal with but in reality the memories that most carry from Drum Corps has nothing to do with show performances and more about rehearsals and getting up and down the road. I do remember times of feeling like "what do we have to do for you?" to get the crowd to like it.

We went an entirely different direction to be more crowd pleasing in 1992 and still received the same response. I can only wonder what the response would have been if any other corps would have performed that show.... I love listening to that CD but in retrospect wish we would have done what was being thrown around in the offseason and then if we got booed I would not have cared as it would have been a very in your face here it is kind of show.

As was said above I always like going to the East coast as what we were doing was appreciated there. We typically received multiple standing ovations and lots of support after retreat. The midwest... well they can have the whole drum corps experience in the midwest as far as I am concerned.

We were booed hardest starting in 1991 and then through the 1993 season the members took a lot of heat. I did not enjoy the crowd reaction being on the field and then in 1993 to be on the other side made it even worse.

By the way there were other corps that ate better than we did and some that ate worse but it was always funny to hear some of the rumors that circulated about us. We worked very hard and typically in the late years only had a couple of free days once we got to move in with a few hours for laundry. Not the easy life that was always perceived from the outside.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to really like the Cadets when they did the shows that showed off their Horn Line more. (The Percussion and Color Guard were always good too)

I didn't get to see the 05 show because I was dodging terrorists bullets. I did see the 06 show at Denver and didn't get to really see the Horn Line because of all the other stuff going on with the Girl, the Rabbit and the Lady in the Red Lingere. Sorry, the show made me queezy. Yea, I could follow the story line, I just didn't like it. I guess I never really liked Alice in Wonderland because of it's weirdness anyway.

I was hoping to see the Cadets come out with an honest show in 07 but was dissapointed with what looked to me like a Drum & Bugle Corps Instructional Video. I also didn't like the "I believe" stuff. It looked like the director was poking the nay sayers with a stick.

I'm hoping The Cadets will return to giving an honest performance with less of the foo foo stuff. I bet, they could put away all the toys, including the electronics and take the number 1 spot at finals.

Yea, I marched a corps that used lots of props and it was no fun loading that stuff in the truck.

I always liked the Scouts, Devils, SCV, Cadets and some of the others that didn't generally use lots of props. Their shows stood alone with power and near perfect execution. Sometimes less is more.

Thanks for running a little interference for me, Robert...

Guys, relax. I'm not attacking you or your corps. But I am speaking from my personal experience, conversations I've had with members, staff, etc. over the years. And just impressions I get when reading posts on the forum here. Again, I think the word "controversial" gets used a little carelessly here. And there are drum corps that think -- and take pride in to some degree -- they are being controversial. I don't see anything controversial in drum corps. Never have. I just see groups trying to be creative and push an activity along. Some things work and some don't. (And that's all a matter of opinion.)

And just because someone posts their thoughts on a subject here, don't tell them to "figure it out", and ask them where they marched, and if they have any clue.

And, yes, it is just drum corps. As you get older, you'll gain some perspective...

Thanks for reminding me why I don't post on this forum often. Good luck to all corps in '08!

Are you aware of the meaning of the word controversial?

Star of Indiana

I admit, I didn't appreciate Star a lot because they made it big so quick out of the gate.

I did get to march with a former member of Star in 87 and he said Star members paid $100.00 dollars for dues for the year. I don't know if that was true or not.

I learned to appreciate Star in 87 when we suffered some bus break downs and they rescued us with one of their extra busses and put us up for a night at the school.

Star of Indiana

I admit, I didn't appreciate Star a lot because they made it big so quick out of the gate.

I did get to march with a former member of Star in 87 and he said Star members paid $100.00 dollars for dues for the year. I don't know if that was true or not.

I learned to appreciate Star in 87 when we suffered some bus break downs and they rescued us with one of their extra busses and put us up for a night at the school.

In 1987, we paid $10.00 per camp and $100.00 for "tour fee" for a grand total of $200.00.

Who from 87 did you get to march with?

Tony

Yeah, anything meatloaf flavored as a leftover is never good eats!

Wrong Meatloaf samiches. Yummeee

In 1987, we paid $10.00 per camp and $100.00 for "tour fee" for a grand total of $200.00.

Who from 87 did you get to march with?

Tony

But what were other corps' fees in the same timeframe? My fee in 84 for BD was $450....so if Star's in 85 was the same as you paid in 87, it;s not so much of a big deal.

But what were other corps' fees in the same timeframe? My fee in 84 for BD was $450....so if Star's in 85 was the same as you paid in 87, it;s not so much of a big deal.

Was $450 including camp fees?

Was $450 including camp fees?

Y'know....I don't remember...I paid in one lump when I moved up to Concord in January (ok....my MOM paid in one shot!), so if it DID include camp fees, that was taken care of.

I don;t know if we even HAD a camp fee structure back then....

Edit: actually....i don;t think there were fees for camps in addition to the tour fee itself. Back then BD was the only bingo game in Contra Costa County and the corps was awash in money...plus operational costs were lower, even with the corps owning the buses....

Edited by 84BDsop