Update on Bluecoats 2008 show

It was good.

But it was better when the contras actually played notes instead of that hosed-down part they had at the end of the season.

Blue had BY FAR the best contra line on the field last season, hands down. :sad:

No kidding. I heard them four times live last summer and they nailed it every time. Then I watched the webcast of semis and thought...why? Really enjoyed the show though.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was good.

But it was better when the contras actually played notes instead of that hosed-down part they had at the end of the season.

Blue had BY FAR the best contra line on the field last season, hands down.

Sad was the day in Oregon when those were cut. I'm honestly still bitter.

Nah, man! That was last season! I'm too excited about '08 to still be boobookittyface over '07.

I should elaborate on my bitterness...

It's not major, but it still pops up every now and then when I think of how much fun I had playing the original part.

Very far from ruining my experience though :sad:

I would be too. . .I still listen to early season APD's and wish they hadn't hosed the book at the end of the year like they did.

Even though I still can't get into the "cop speak", still it was one of the more enjoyable brass books of the year. :sad:

I'm willing to bet- if they hadn't hosed those parts down, they would have finished higher than 7th.

This is just silly. Do you completely disregard 2006 Blue Devils because a guy said "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse"? Come to think of it, somebody already pointed out the double standard of your praise for 2007 Crown even though it had narration in it.

You can't know how a show will affect you just by reading about it. I don't care who you are, it just can't be done. I've had plenty of preconceived opinions about shows by reading about them, but that had absolutely no effect on how I felt when I finally witnessed them. Nobody knows how entertaining or not entertaining a show is until they see it. Not even you, Hrothgar. I'll be more inclined to respect your opinion after you've been to a show. But for now, you're just being silly.

Oh and just for the record, nobody here has any information whatsoever as to the extent the narration will be used. I even talked to one of the current members a couple days ago and he didn't even know. So unless somebody here has a magic crystal ball, stop getting ahead of yourselves.

I'm OK with amplified vocals that are part of the music and built around the music, as Crown's were. In an ideal situation there would be no amplified vocals, and I think they in every single case detract from the possible quality of the show, but I can deal with the ones that Crown used. Bluecoats', I thought, was a bit too much, too frequent, was included as a separate element, and was used not with the music but over periods in which the corps was not playing. The fact that there is a specified role of "announcer" for the 2008 show leads me to believe that this "announcing" will play a major role throughout the show, essentially "setting up" different elements, which I simply have no desire to see. It's as simple as that. I don't understand why people are so turned off to this concept. If, however, I purchase an APD of the show at the beginning of the season and see that the vocals are appropriately used, then I stand corrected and will begin to embrace the show.

To each his own. I don't understand why people need to continuously question Hrothgar's thinking. Leave it be, thats his thing. It certainly wont stop me from enjoying a show. Honestly I agree with him, I'm not for narration, I usually hate it! However, if it is done right, then I will like it. Yes there will be skeptisism there before I hear it, but once I have heard it I form a second opinion. Hrothgar may do that, he may not.... doesn't affect my opinion one bit.

Edited by idlethreats

To each his own. I don't understand why people need to continuously question Hrothgar's thinking. Leave it be, thats his thing. It certainly wont stop me from enjoying a show. Honestly I agree with him, I'm not for narration, I usually hate it! However, if it is done right, then I will like it. Yes there will be skeptisism there before I hear it, but once I have heard it I form a second opinion. Hrothgar may do that, he may not.... doesn't affect my opinion one bit.

I'm not for narraration either... but I don't see the point behind disregarding a show just because you know it's going to be there... you should go ahead and disregard about 5 of the top 6 then.