It's stupid not to march...

Just when I thought loyalty was dead, DCI was just another business and corps members were just spoiled silver spoon mercenaries, you have restored my faith. Thank you...seems like loyalty is not dead after all....

Nope, we were not spoiled silver spoon mercenaries buddy. Some of us just wanted to go where our heart belonged. Try to understand that before you start insulting people.

Edited by 2000Cadet

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is really simple folks. Some people march in a non-finalist corps, and love it, and stay there until they age out. Others move on to a place where they feel they will fit in better, or maybe they've been waiting to march in that corps since they were 4. Who is anyone to judge what's acceptable or not...

I think personally that you can have a very a good feeling of accomplishment from either marching in a top 6 corps or marching in a non-finalist corps....you're still working to put on the best show you can.......I also think you should go where you're heart tells you with this one......but at least if you don't make you're dream corps try somewhere else....you're gonna have a much better chance at making that corps with a year of experience than sitting home all summer.

I think personally that you can have a very a good feeling of accomplishment from either marching in a top 6 corps or marching in a non-finalist corps....you're still working to put on the best show you can.......I also think you should go where you're heart tells you with this one......but at least if you don't make you're dream corps try somewhere else....you're gonna have a much better chance at making that corps with a year of experience than sitting home all summer.

Well said. Nothing sadder than talking to people who sat out season after season, never marching 'cause they never made it to their "dream corps". Lucky for them there's always DCA...

I say go ::someplace::, build up your chops and keep trying. Just go march. The worst thing that can happen is you make new friends and lifetime of memories.

Nancy

That says it all.

Congratulations on knowing what is best for everyone based upon what was best for you. Maybe the dream for some people isn't to march drum corps, but to march Blue Devils.

You happened to pick a corps with a B and C corps. :smile:

Sure, a few applicants will be able to make it on a second or third year try, but it would be easier with a year or two under the belt with another corps. I don't think people are saying it's what's "best" for someone else, just what might make it easier. And dittos to the others who have pointed out that you get nothing but positives from marching elsewhere first: friends, experiences of a lifetime, and better chops.

Something I've been wanting to say for a while...

People criticize members a lot for changing corps, calling them heartless spoiled mercenaries and whatnot. I used to feel that way, and felt betrayed by people who left my corps for top corps. But the thing I realized is that where you march is a highly personal decision and it's not right to criticize and second guess people. I guess there could be a bit of selfish "mercenary" attitude out there, but I think usually people change corps because it's the best thing for them. I have no doubt that when I changed corps I did the right thing. I agonized about it a lot, but my old corps ended up going through hell that season and folding, and nothing I did could have changed that. I made the right choice by jumping off that sinking ship. Not every situation is that extreme, but the bottom line is that where you march is a very personal decision, the members themselves have to make the best decision for themselves (marching somewhere you hate just to be loyal doesn't help anyone) and people shouldn't assume that people are changing corps because of selfishness.

I guess I agree with the general sentiment of the orignal post, but I do think that something is to be said for loyalty. Maybe it depends what corps you are coming from and the corps you are going to, but I know that considering the placement of the corps that I march, unless there was a real problem internally with the administration or someone was truly unhappy, for someone I've marched with to jump ship is to me a slap in the face. I guess I'm just fortunate to be getting what I want out of drum corps with my current corps.

I am currently fighting with myself on this exact topic. I marched 3 seasons in what was considered a lower tier div 1 corps...that whole time i enjoyed myself, built great friendships and learned all of drum corps great lessons. I decided at the end of the 2nd season that my abilities did not match the challenge being presented to me by that corps and that lack of challenge combined with my passion and drive to switch from playing the trumpet to becoming a conductor convinced me it was time to move on.

I went out for my "dream corps" and didn't make it. I had the luxury of being able to return to my original corps and continuing to march. I enjoyed myself but knew it was really time to move on. I pursued my dream corps for what would have been my 4th season but again didn't make it and while i was away, the original corps folded.

The second cut from my "dream corps" was handled in such a way that i was turned off from auditioning again.

Since then I've found a new love and with the help of all the wonderful resources on the internet i am more confident that it is a perfect fit for me. The only problem is that it is late in the pre-season and there are no posted openings.

i check the website for this corps about 4 times a day. i keep myself in shape and keep my chops up so that if an opening comes up, i won't miss my chance to jump in and dedicate myself to the corps.

my point here being that, after marching a few years and getting experience...the most important thing to me is not a score or a staff member. It's not a matter of location or time commitment...for me it comes down to finding the place i most long to call home for my final 3 years in drum corps. what song will i sing before my last show? what traditions will i come to cherish?

the struggle i am having with myself is what to do if an opening with this corps doesn't come before the point of no return?

also, it's horrible living with yourself knowing that the one thing you want most means a potential heartache or injury for someone else.