Finals Tickets: $125/ea.

A problem - I don't drink Starbucks.

Even so, I could afford the tickets; I paid more for Young Frankenstein last month.

The debate is value for money.

I find the weeklong event a huge value...with or without finals.

I've been to finals week at least three times without attending finals. Worst one for me was Orlando 1996....who would have thunk that was going to happen. And I was already most of the way home leaving after semis. Sucked to be me.

Anyway...finals has seldom been my favorite event of the week. My favorites again are II/III prelims and QFs. I like watching the 15-11 place semis corps on Friday as well.

But, heck, that's just me being all wierd thinking finals is the casual fans' night.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let’s see if we can explain the situation with some pseudo-code:

IF NumberOfSeats <= (NumberOfButtCheeks / 2)

THEN

Set IsProblem = FALSE

Set SeatPrice = $125

ELSE

Set ISProblem = TRUE

Set SeatPrice = “???”

ENDIF

Or, for the visually oriented:

supply_and_demand.gif

ok...I'm way more visually oriented...are you saying the best seats are between the 2nd and 6th rows on the 35 yard line? Because I don't think so and I've been to good number of shows.

Edited by Tom Brace

ok...I'm way more visually oriented...are you saying the best seats are between the 2nd and 6th rows on the 35 yard line? Because I don't think so and I've been to goog number of shows.

Nah....the x and y of the graph are price and quantity, no relation to where the seats are... (well at least not directly...)

Edited by euponitone

If you were in a management position with the Dupont company, what would you do differently ? Kind of hard to answer.....because you are not (Or maybe you are :tongue: ) familiar with the day to day operations of the Dupont company.

Without knowing the details of running DCI, a couple of areas I would focus on are,

Grow the fanbase and number of drum corps

*I would not alienate anyone. (Only focus on marching band and just expect Legacy fans to hang around)

DCI, IMO, does not "just expect Legacy fans to hang around". Otherwise, why the legacy DVD's? Why have alumni corps perform at a variety of DCI major shows, inc semi finals? Why have they held Classic Countdowns at all?

They do more to keep legacy fans involved now than they did 20 or 30 years ago.

DCI, IMO, does not "just expect Legacy fans to hang around". Otherwise, why the legacy DVD's?

To make money

Do you think they said "Lets do something special for the Legacy fans"

Why have alumni corps perform at a variety of DCI major shows, inc semi finals? Why have they held Classic Countdowns at all?

To make money

They probably realize that they can attract a couple of "On the fence fans" by putting in an alumni corps in a show lineup

They do more to keep legacy fans involved now than they did 20 or 30 years ago.

I haven't tracked it that long. To me......it seems they use the revenue that Legacy Fans spend to reach out to and promote to it's upcoming fanbase (The marching band crowd).

Please don't be locked in to the "make money" comments. This is a necessary evil.......but there are a lot of ways you can do it....

A consideration, though, is that many corps might not be staying that close to Bloomington, so a one hour commitment to such an event might be substantially longer considering round-trip traveling from and back to the rehearsal site.

Very true. Only the corps staff's and DCI week show coordinators would know how to organize a DCI/Fan conference. My guess is....with some flexibility from everyone, it could be done. I work in a large company that sometimes requires 70 separate work groups to work together to coordinate a time/date to complete a task.

Ridiculous. I guess we'll sit in the end zone this year.

Finals week ticket sale info here: http://www.dci.org/news/view.cfm?news_id=a...50-ad3a3ae1f4d0

Sorry for bringing your topic OFF-topic so much ......... :tongue:

ok...I'm way more visually oriented...are you saying the best seats are between the 2nd and 6th rows on the 35 yard line? Because I don't think so and I've been to goog number of shows.

Tom, that was great! :tongue:

Very funny! :devil:

If traveling far to finals, personally I would only buy the best seats and not go if not sitting somewhere near the middle. A couple of years ago we traveled way down to San Antonio to see our first regionals and had tickets near the 20 yrd line I think. I left feeling like I didn't even see the corps and wasn't even there.

We had great seats for three days in Pasadena though! :cool: That is until the 10 foot tall guy sat right in front of me. :worthy: That totally sucked but my nice friend who took me traded seats with me. :worthy: Thank you Neil!