Where For Art Thou Pearl?

I think you meant "where" and not "wherefore;" wherefore means "why." So in Shakespeare, Juliet is asking "Romeo, Romeo, why art thou Romeo," - I.e, why must you be a Montague, one of my family's enemies, and therefore someone I cannot love openly - and not "Romeo, Romeo, where art thou Romeo" as so many people think.

Sorry, completely off-topic and unnecessary. But I'm an English major, and it's a pet peeve of mine.

I won't debate Shakespeare with you, but your last comment should have been written a little differently so as to give a little more weight to your authority.

Sorry. This post is completely off-topic and unnecessary, but I'm an English major. It's a pet peeve of mine.

BTW, one space between sentences has been acceptable since shortly after the advent of the personal computer. Also, the i in id est should not be capitalized. The - is a hyphen and should be used only to join two or more words or a word and prefix or suffix in an unfamiliar grouping or format. The -- is a dash and is used to join a sentence fragment as an aside or make an emphasis.

As to your first comment: I would scrap it and rewrite it entirely. The reason we teach correct English and acceptable spelling is create ease in the reading of material in order to get the writer's intention across quickly. I attempted to read that first comment twice.

Then again, half this thread is off-topic at this point.

Edited by ravedodger

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't debate Shakespeare with you, but your last comment should have been written a little differently so as to give a little more weight to your authority.
Who said anything about authority? I just wanted to explain why I posted what I did.
BTW, one space between sentences has been acceptable since shortly after the advent of the personal computer. Also, the i in id est should not be capitalized. The - is a hyphen and should be used only to join two or more words or a word and prefix or suffix in an unfamiliar grouping or format. The -- is a dash and is used to join a sentence fragment as an aside or make an emphasis.

You've got me on the i.e. example, but usually when you type the "-' Microsoft Word it changes it to the -- automatically. DCP doesn't do that, so I just leave it at one dash and assume that people understand my intention.

As to your first comment: I would scrap it and rewrite it entirely. The reason we teach correct English and acceptable spelling is create ease in the reading of material in order to get the writer's intention across quickly. I attempted to read that first comment twice.
Tell that to Faulkner, James, Dickens, etc. Or read 95% of 20th Century philosophical writings. Not to say that I'm even in the same ballpark, stadium, city, country, etc. as writers like that, but we can't all be Hemingway. To be sure, one of the criticisms I hear frequently from professors is that I get caught up in long-winded sentences with too many dependent clauses. So I can't say you're wrong about that. But there's a difference between incorrect grammar and inefficient grammar (yes, I realize I just started a sentence with "but").

The two spaces? You're right. It's a bad habit I have. To be honest, it's something I didn't learn until a couple of years ago. But again, that falls under stylistic and conventional concerns, not hard and fast grammatical/usage issues like the one I corrected.

Don't even get me started on ending sentences with prepositions. Silliest rule in the English language, and one that I violate as much as possible.

Edited by TSRTS13

Or read 95% of 20th Century philosophical writings.

It's the worst when it's coming out of German. Heidegger and Habermas both regularly employ sentences that approach the lengths of normal paragraphs. Most of the time one has to skim a sentence just get to get the basic structure before trying to understand what's being argued.

It's the worst when it's coming out of German. Heidegger and Habermas both regularly employ sentences that approach the lengths of normal paragraphs. Most of the time one has to skim a sentence just get to get the basic structure before trying to understand what's being argued.

I wrote down the stats for one sentence when I was reading The Ambassadors by Henry James. I forgot it now, but the sentence had something like five semi-colons, ten commas, and an absurd amount of dashes. I hate Henry James. Faulkner's kind of the same but he's actually a good writer and his complex sentence structure actually serves a purpose other than confusing the hell out of the reader.

Same for Kant.

All in fun... :thumbup:

Plus, Phantom has had very public financial issues the last few years as well. There are definite monetary reasons to make the switch.

Note, I'm a brass guy, but why couldn't they have just kept the same Pearl drums they ALREADY owned? Why do drum lines seem to get brand new equipment year in and year out? Do they just not last that long? I always thought that the drum manufacturers practically gave the stuff away to top tier DC's just for the marketing to band directors etc.

I had heard that the real issue is that Yamaha and Dynasty can also package horns with drums (although I think PR still uses King horns...is this correct?) Weren't Pearl and King trying to work together to give "package deals" or was this just a rumor?

Edited by Medeabrass

Who said anything about authority? I just wanted to explain why I posted what I did.

As an English major, you speak (or write) with authority.

You've got me on the i.e. example, but usually when you type the "-' Microsoft Word it changes it to the -- automatically. DCP doesn't do that, so I just leave it at one dash and assume that people understand my intention.

Tell that to Faulkner, James, Dickens, etc. Or read 95% of 20th Century philosophical writings. Not to say that I'm even in the same ballpark, stadium, city, country, etc. as writers like that, but we can't all be Hemingway. To be sure, one of the criticisms I hear frequently from professors is that I get caught up in long-winded sentences with too many dependent clauses. So I can't say you're wrong about that. But there's a difference between incorrect grammar and inefficient grammar (yes, I realize I just started a sentence with "but").

Your list is pre-Hemingway. Prior to the 1950's and Hemingway's arrival to the literary scene, the norm was long-winded and eloquent writing and oratory. Hmm, isn't it interesting this closely coincides with access to television and the 'trimming down' of the length of music compositions for fitting onto record albums? Prior to mass media and Hemingway, more educated and affluent people attended speeches regularly. The art of oration and it's influence in writing was at its peak between Shakespeare's time and the beginning of WWII. Now all we have left is Papa's influence and internet typing. That's not to say everything from the past fifty years has been bad--it's just hard to find the good stuff.

The two spaces? You're right. It's a bad habit I have. To be honest, it's something I didn't learn until a couple of years ago. But again, that falls under stylistic and conventional concerns, not hard and fast grammatical/usage issues like the one I corrected.

Correct. Many rules are acceptable according to region, including comma rules.

Note, I'm a brass guy, but why couldn't they have just kept the same Pearl drums the ALREADY owned? Why do drum lines seem to get brand new equipment year in and year out? Do they just not last that long? I always thought that the drum manufacturers practically gave the stuff away to top tier DC's just for the marketing to band directors etc.

The drums can handle more than one season - I am pretty sure SCV used the same set of Pearls for 3 seasons (from 2001-2003), and Cadets have been using the same Yamahas , or ones that look identical, since 2005.

OPEN CLASS (at least the ones that post their sponsors)

Dynasty 7

Yamaha 6

Pearl 4

Mapex 1

Quantum 1

Premier 0